Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The stupidity that is synchronized diving?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Mrs Pineapple should ignore this thread...

A couple of days ago they had synchronized diving on the Olympics. I don't recall having seen this before and I was stupified by how silly it is. Synchronized diving?!!!

Now, synchronized swimming is lame, but still makes some kinda sense as a marching band/ballet/gymnastic crossover that takes place in the water (what were they on when they thought THAT up?). Participants can look at their teammates and adjust their positions, timing, etc., so they synch up. Divers have no way to do this while spinning through the air for all of 2 seconds. They can practice doing the same moves over and over and jump off at the same time and, but doesn't it seem like just dumb luck when they happen to synch up to the point it's like having a big mirror behind a single diver?

Why not have synchronized gymnastics or shot-put or bike racing? Where's my synchronized archery?!! Can anyone explain this? Now, if they had like 50 divers all at once, that would be cool.

Stoopid vent-mode off. For now.

In Sweet Daddy Tiki world all sports are silly and all physical activity is to be studiously avoided (except perhaps demolition bowling).

Here's hoping for an extended NHL lockout!

I

How about synchronized boxing? Both boxers would be on the same team, and all of their movements would be synched up with each other - when one jabbed, the other would be jabbing too. Points could be scored on how well their movements synch up, their ability to take a strong punches equally (you would need sensors in the gloves measuring the force of each punch) and a match that featured heavier blows would be worth more points than one made up of lighter punches.

The corner coaches would say things like 'More Floating like a Butterfly - you two are too leaden' or 'Less Stinging like a bee -- your partner is getting too weary' as they try to reach the proper balance between being artful and taking a punch.

They could call it Masochistic Synchronized Boxing.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2004-08-20 17:59 ]

D

Pages: 1 4 replies