Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin

Pages: 1 2 replies

I

I've learned over the years that one can not always judge the quality of a film by its trailer. But I just saw a preview today for the upcoming film 'Beyond the Sea', where Kevin Spacey takes on the role of Bobby Darin -- and I came away very excited.

They had some great nightclub scenes, and the energy level of those clips was incredible. This could be some of the best filmed representation of what the energy level of a key ratpack-like nightclub performer was really like - I will keep my fingers crossed that the film excites me as much as the preview.

Lots of neat stylings and decor from the late 50's and early 60's (Kate Bosworth looked gorgeous too), which gives it some parallel to our world of tiki - maybe a good tiki lounge will make an appearance in the film.

The film has its first showing at the Toronto Film Festival in a few weeks, and then a release in N.Y. and L.A. in late November.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2004-08-22 22:25 ]

Look out ol' Mack is back! Great news Vern. Sounds like a winning combination. I'll keep my eye peeled for that.

Thanks for the review of the trailer. I can't wait for the movie to hit L.A.

(I keep an 8x10 of Bobby Darin on the desk in my office. It's been true love for many a year. I do have this unfortunate habit of falling for dead guys.)

Pages: 1 2 replies