Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Torches, auto light?

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

has anyone done up tiki torches with an auto lighting system? I've got power and gas I can route anywhere in my backyard and am looking for designs.... Thinking I could use a standard wall switch, to power a gas stove-style ignition system/cut-off switch (one that would close the gas valve if the flame goes out, there is a name for that peice, I jsut can think of it rih now), and top it with a gas tiki lamp.

has anyone done this? seen this?

Try here:

http://www.gasproductscompany.com/gas_lights/electronic_ignition.htm

-Z

(oops! sorry, wrong link. I have seen them somewhere, but I can't remember where. I looked into them myself, but I remember thinking that the set-up would be amazingly complicated ( I was expecting it to be, but it was even more than I had counted on)

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-08-23 15:09 ]

Choptop,
Go and check out http://www.buytikitorches.com and under Gas Torches look at the Bali Series, they are available with remote control ignition. We also offer a series of torches called the Big Kahuna Series and they are available with electronic ignition which is similar to a gas grill igniter.
If you have any questions email me at [email protected]

Have a great day!!

Choptop, you can make an auto torch setup with a an auto ignition gas valve, controlled by a low voltage step down transformer from 120v to 24v, and remote switch.
The device you are asking about, to prove flame is called a thermocouple. Its made of 2 different metals that is positioned in direct flame exposure and produce millivolts when heated, that inturn reports to the control board to insure flame presence and keep the valve in an open position.
A low pressure, low volume system will require a little jet experimenting to adjust flame mass and proper gas/air mixture. Its very dependent upon burner porting and system pressure. You can drill the port to get the desired flame mass and then adjust the mixture with jets. You can also use flex gas hose to make it very easy to run the gas lines.
You can use a manual switch or auto switch on a timer. You could also use a cheap solar eye to make, in conjunction with a timer to break, so they auto light at dusk then run for a specified time period. Just add a manual disconnect switch to disable it when not used. Wire these devices in series before the valve. There are a thousand possibilities you can do. Its pretty easy to do and will be fun to design and piece together.

Warning: Gas is very dangerous. Gas systems should be designed and installed by qualified gas certified contractors.

...or guys that would never pay contractors to send under qualified workers out to do shitty work.

Yes we carry the outdoor remote controlled tiki torches with a thermocupler igniter that runs off a 24 volt wiring system. This system is a true remote control push a button or a key chain remote and fire ignites, push again and it turns all the fire systems off. All components are built inside the crown of the Tiki head. Offered in Black or Copper cone heads. Also if you would like we offer a Bamboo pole in replacement of the standard black pole.

If you would like more information on this e mail me at: [email protected]

Or go to our web site at: http://www.outdoorfiredesigns.com

Excellent! A vendor that is obviously a real person! And contributing too! Too often have we seen the Nokia spam-bots hitting a bunch of threads...... At least I assume your a real person. I mean, you could be a replicant.

Anyway.... tell us more about the systems you offer. Do you ship? Do you have, or can you recommend, installers in all parts of the country? Do you like Mai-Tais?

T

I always wanted to do this - would need thermocouples for most installations. As my idea was a home display, I planned on not using them. I was going to run wires and use piezo clicker tech to light them after the gas was turned on.

Perhaps someday I'll try to add fire to my currently in-the-works fountain show. It would require electric igniters, and I might use piezo, or high voltage (a tiny neon transformer).

Actually, that's a good idea. Hmmm... Could run a pipe along the front lip of the pool, with the spark gap at the center so fire starts there and spreads out to the ends... I like that thought. Thread spawns a slightly OT idea...

Pages: 1 6 replies