Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau & Hurricanes...

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2004 6:11 PM

No reports of any damage from Kern to the buildings, just some minor stuff in the gardens.

Everyone has reported that it ended up being about like a thunderstorm in Fort Lauderdale. Nothing to worry about Hukilau wise, although I have yet to hear from Tikki Beach.

C

Yes, the thatch is fine; there was one area that got "lifted" by the winds on the drive-thru entryway, but you had to really look for it to even notice - and I'm pretty sure it'll be tied back down well before Hukilau.

Unfortunately, hurricanes are just part of the deal here in Florida, just like quakes out in California, tornadoes in the Mid-West, and the dreaded Nor'easters for those of us who have had the distinct pleasure of living on the New England coast ... the upside is that we're pretty resilient, and within a few weeks, things are generally back in order. Even after Andrew wiped us out, we managed to get things mostly back in shape within a month of the storm (with the notable exception of the Miami Metrozoo that was turning away cleanup volunteers two days after the storm because they could "do it themselves" - and they still haven't totally cleaned up the mess).

This one was mild by comparison, and we will be well back in shape by the end of this week.

Cheers!

Stay on the beach. The natives over there are cannibals.
They eat liars with the same enthusiasm as they eat honest men.

http://www.cybertiki.com

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-07 19:07 ]

M

Glad to hear the thatch is fine--I am going to miss those Spanish tiles, though!! :)

NT

We made it thru Frances!! I wouldn't quite compare it to a thunderstorm. At least with those the winds disappear quickly. We're on the west coast near Tampa and were whipped by sustained winds of 40mph and gusts of 50-60 for over 12 hours. Glad we had the shutters up over all the windows. No where near the rain they predicted-only about 5 inches. Only a few of our oak limbs came down so we were very lucky. Still have the shutters up waiting for Ivan..... Thanks for your good thoughts Kono. Hope you and Bali Girl made it thru OK as well.

C

Hi Nani; glad to hear you made it thru! I wasn't comparing Frances to a thunderstorm - when I made that post, it had already cleared up to the point that it was like a thunderstorm.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - Frances was sort of like being stuck in a blender on low speed for about 12 hours. Not a lot of strength, but the duration was certainly enough to cause some problems. I'm still trying to get shingles to patch up my roof before Ivan shows up!

Cheers!

Mahalos for all the updates. Us out here on the left coast are thinking (and drinking) good thoughts for your safety and minimal property damage. We hope that Ivan loses interest (and/or power) and heads East instead. Godspeed!!

HOLY COW! We drank some excellent Mai Tais to your safety, dryness and stay-put-ed-ness. We were watching the news, and the newscasters were about 10 lbs. shy of being blown off camera. It was amusing, but only because they were on FOX, and we were on the deck in El Cerrito drinking mai tais.

I'm glad you're all ok.

We have some crazy windy winter storms here, and the fires, and the earthquakes, your hurricanes and tornados scare the bejesus out of me. Give me the no-notice earth moving any time!

F

I think Hanford posted a link you might want to click on if you want to talk politics :)

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-09-08 22:07 ]

word is, Tikki Beach is okay... hooray!

IVAN is coming this way!!!!!

At the latest cordinates Ivan could very well hit Ft. Lauderdale.

Lucky for us they are never right.

T

Talked to Benzart last night and he wanted everyone to know that he is well, wishes his power would come back on, but his phone is working for the time being. He said he only lost fencing on his property and no shingles. In typical Ben fashion he wanted to know how Flounder was doing and all of the rest of the Florida Ohana. He is dying to get the power on so he can get back to TC, a true TC junkie at his best.

On 2004-09-09 08:12, FLOUNDERart wrote:
IVAN is coming this way!!!!!

At the latest cordinates Ivan could very well hit Ft. Lauderdale.

Lucky for us they are never right.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Here we go again....still shuttered up from Frances and now waiting for Ivan. I freaked out last night and decided to head to Georgia but a voice of reason invaded my brain and said to stay. We live on the water and the thought of my house flooding was more than I could bear. We spent 16 hours moving out and boarding up for Charlie and sat thru the winds of Frances. This time the wind and water can have my stuff. I'm too exhausted physically and emotionally to move stuff out again. We'll hole up with friends in their home located in a non-evac area. They promised to keep me buzzed thru the entire event. Don't know if there's enough rum for that. This damn storm is all over the map, from Tampa to Daytona and back again. Latest "cone of destruction" shows it moving further west into the gulf. God I hope so. Only 2 more weeks to Hukilau. Boy do we need it!!!

TD #11 (soon to be tropical storm Jeanne perhaps?) is making its way toward the bahamas for a Saturday landfall. Let's hope it's just a fizzle.

http://www.hurricaneadvisories.com/trackmap2004.html

Well, looks like South Florida may be safe for Hukilau...

BUT...our Alabama, Florida Panhandle, Mississippi and Louisiana ohana look to be in for a VERY nasty time.

In particular, I note the serious attitude of New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin,who declared a state of emergency and called for immediate evacuation of the low-lying, flood-prone city. New Orleans...ohhh nooo.

This means it's time to send up some collective VERY good energy and Tiki toasts to our own New Orleans gal Purple Jade and her family! PJ says there's not much we out west can do but get together and blow as hard as we can in a southeasterly direction...:(

I say stay the heck away from my friend, Ivan! Or I'll kick your ass! (ahem)

really worried now,

tikivixen

On 2004-09-14 14:06, tikivixen wrote:
Well, looks like South Florida may be safe for Hukilau...

Hold your breath... Jeanne is on track for the Bahamas... and maybe east central Florida... let's hope not...

Damn hurricanes...

S

The thing it may do is interfere with flights. Some folks are already heading to Florida this weekend for Hukilau, and if an airport or three get closed, it can effect a lot of other places and make people late. Yikes. Freakin' Jeanne looks like it is going north and away from Florida, though if it grows may mean rain. But not likely. It won't happen.

CA

I think it better to freak out about the threat and sigh in a big W'oooooosh... when nothing happens.... this always works better... not that I'm superstitious....

now, where's that rain tiki...........

D

No rain,no rain,no rain!!!Good luck everyone in the path of Ivan-our thoughts and good wishes are with you.

NT

Had a bit of a scare today. Ivan came within 200 miles of us and our tide was extremely high. My Pilikua called me home from my day of play to save the rum and computer incase we flooded. All turned out well at our place. However, some streets in Tampa had 8 inches of seawater running thru them. Still sitting here boarded up waiting to see what Jeanne does. Call me superstitious, but I'm afraid if I take the plywood off it will be an invitation for trouble...... I just hope Jeanne spins her way back out into the Atlantic. Maybe next year we can have Hukilau after hurricane season ends in November. For the lastest update go to weatherunderground.com and blow hard to the east.
To all our 'ohana in Ivans path, our thoughts and prayers go to you.

[ Edited by: Nani Tiki on 2004-09-15 20:52 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2004 9:21 PM

On 2004-09-15 20:42, Nani Tiki wrote:
Call me superstitious, but I'm afraid if I take the plywood off it will be an invitation for trouble......

No worries. I purchased a large amount of battery powered fans, lamps, cooking devices and a TV. I also purchased a HUGE amount of batteries. This will, without a doubt, REVERSE jinx Central Florida from ever getting hit by a hurricane again. Or at least until my batteries go bad. Bank on it!

Ivan is a wicked fugger and I feel horrible for those in it's path. New Orleans looked to be spared for the most part. A local forecaster thinks that Jeanne is going to get demolished by the mountains of the Dominican Republic and likely cease to exist in a day or two.

CA

WooooooWie! the Santa Anna's are blowing early this year.... Warm dry desert winds from the northeast usually blowing hard in Oct.... kind of like a dehydrated hurricane, minus a hundred miles an hour on the winds.
We loose a lot of patio umbrellas and some fences, a turned over semi-truck or two.... let's hope some fire bug doesn't light up a few billion in houses and property by the time I get back from Hukilau.........

M

OK---Everybody chant "no rain for the cruise, no rain for the cruise!"

Thursday: A mix of clouds and sun with the chance of an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon. High 88F. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

We're not out of the woods yet --

Hurricane Jeanne May Head Back Toward U.S.

B

I wonder if locals are worried about hurricane "Hukilau" which is set to hit Thursday and not blow out of Ft. Lauderdale until Sunday afternoon.

I can't think of a better way to ride out a hurricane than lashed to a rattan bar stool in the Molokai Bar of the fabulous Mai-Kai!!!

While we're on the no rain thought, let also include the no "Hurricane Jeanne" chant. As of 4:30pm today ,the freakin' news is now saying, that Florida is potentially in the new projected path. #@%#!!!

Hurricane Jeanne, you are NOT invited to Hukilau. Shoo!

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-09-22 14:53 ]

Here we go...

[ Edited by: SullTiki on 2004-09-23 11:23 ]

B

JEANNE ?????, Sunday morning 8:00 Landfall Ft.Pierce Fla, 100 miles north of Ft Lauderdale.
"Maximum sustained winds are near 105 mph...165 km/hr...with higher
gusts. A slow increase in strength is possible during the next
24 hours.
Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 45 miles... 75 km...
from the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up
to 140 miles...220 km."
This Is NOT GOOD for me. Ft.Lauderdale should be fine though. I may have to leave early to get boarded up again.
More later.

I know! We may have to cut our trip short too to flee ahead of evacuation traffic. Stand on the patio tonight and blow into the wind repeatedly, hoping to push it off shore.....

B

That dot is BY MY HOUSE !!!)(*^&^%**(
If I remember, this is the Original forcast track a week ago. Whats going On?

This is crazy! Ivan staggered up to Virginia, then back down to Florida and now it's back in the Gulf stumbling around. I'm really tired of this, as I know Florida residents are too.

Good grief.

Well, I guess only the truly daring will be surfing the Lauderdale beaches this weekend! (Bong?!?) :wink:

I can only say I'm glad it's not gonna be Hurricane LISA potentially piddling all over the Mai Kai this weekend...sheesh. how embarrassing.

Good luck, y'all!!!!!!

Tikivixen, aka Lisa, The Tropical Depression

p.s. "Shoo"--that's FUNNY, I Dream of Tiki.

"Sit! Bad hurricane! Down! DOWN, dammit!"

M

Benzart: Hope you're OK! Pleasure to meet you this weekend.

All:

Please post post-Hukilau stuff here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11049&forum=4&29

And heavy image posts here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11058&forum=4&7

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies