Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lost park in OC?

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

TM

Does anyone from socal remember if there was a park at Magnolia and La palma ave?

A
Al-ii posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 5:11 PM

Debbie V,
I Grew up on Burgess Ave (just north on your map) I used to play in that park all the time. Thanks for posting.
Mahalo,
Al
P.S. I just went deeper into your site, I was born in 61 and went to St Paul of the Cross Catholic School, and, I used to eat at the Carriage restaurant all the time. Thanks for the trip down memory lane

[ Edited by: Al-ii 2006-06-29 17:16 ]

Could it be a park on Crescent and Brookhurst? Its called Brookhurst Community Park...It is just west of the 5 fwy...I've been using Google maps to look for parks, because not only do they have the map, but they also include a satellite view which enables you to see things within the parks, such as water,rockets, those half spear monkey bars......But in my search, this park which is across the street from Dad Miller golf Course looks to have a long cement trough going through a semi circle cement area(just above the skate park)... If you have the time, scan through google maps at close up(using the map mode first), and find the green park areas. then switch mode to satellite and zoom in, and you just might recognize the parks you all went to as kids. Good Luck, and happy hunting!
Now I must get back to work!

On 2006-06-29 17:11, Al-ii wrote:
Debbie V,
I Grew up on Burgess Ave (just north on your map) I used to play in that park all the time. Thanks for posting.
Mahalo,
Al
P.S. I just went deeper into your site, I was born in 61 and went to St Paul of the Cross Catholic School, and, I used to eat at the Carriage restaurant all the time. Thanks for the trip down memory lane

Damn Al! I was born in 61 and the Carriage House was my favorite too. (I know we already discussed LaMirada)
I even went back there just to go down "memory lane".
We had to rub elbows somewhere. Remember the miniature golf course?
My first job was at Valley View farms.
Sorry to hijack thread.

On 2006-07-10 11:12, Tom Slick wrote:
Could it be a park on Crescent and Brookhurst? Its called Brookhurst Community Park...It is just west of the 5 fwy...I've been using Google maps to look for parks, because not only do they have the map, but they also include a satellite view which enables you to see things within the parks, such as water,rockets, those half spear monkey bars......But in my search, this park which is across the street from Dad Miller golf Course looks to have a long cement trough going through a semi circle cement area(just above the skate park)... If you have the time, scan through google maps at close up(using the map mode first), and find the green park areas. then switch mode to satellite and zoom in, and you just might recognize the parks you all went to as kids. Good Luck, and happy hunting!
Now I must get back to work!

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply. That's not the park. I live about a mile from there, so I go there all the time. More and more I am hearing that the park I am thinking of may be Hillcrest park in Fullerton. I will check it out on google and see!

C

Ok, my son is scheduled to go to the Atlantis Play Center in Garden Grove next Tuesday with his daycare.

I googled "Atlantis Play Center" in Garden Grove. And this is the place, and yes you must hi-jack a kid to go with you if you don't have one.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2813240-atlantis_play_center_los_angeles-i;_ylt=AlI5FwjUpN2yLXK5RiRAuCbBPGoL

and this link also

http://www.lathingstodo.com/atlantis.htm

A review from a visitor
"PROS:
adults & kids 2 + : $1 (was 25 cents when I was a kid)

CONS:
zero- I think the 1$ fee attracts nice families

This is the type of park that exists in a childs dreams. There's tons of open space, wonderful mature banana trees, a synthetic volcano, large pines and willows, sub-tropical foliage and flowing, multi-level play zones. It has a zen garden feel. Peaceful and beautiful. The park has hardly changed since I was a small boy.

Now, when my wife and I bring our 1 and 3 year olds, we bump into other parents who also grew up flying down the exact same big green dragon slide and had their birthday parties in the giant clamshell or on the patio near the snack bar. I remember the beefy, solid feel of the sculpted steel-reinforced concrete "play sculptures" and noticed that they felt immovable, permanent and stable. All drinking fountain basins are made from real giant clamshells. Well, the clamshell basins are still there and the play sculptures are not moved and as stable and permanent as ever. The place is very well maintained and clean. They even added some wonderful nautical wall murals. A great touch. This is a really special place and is a valuable resource in Orange County. Visit the place before they tear it down and build a high-density housing tract or some other cash-generating honeypot."

Now I've got to get over there! Sounds too good to be true!

Cyndee

Atlantis Park slide, early 1960's

Pages: 1 2 54 replies