Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Anything Tiki going on in Santa Barbara?

Pages: 1 18 replies

H

Hi everyone, I have been searching high and low, in books, TC, etc.etc. cant find anything Tiki in Santa Barbara. Can anyone help.

TM

I've heard the Surf Museum is cool, though I haven't been - maybe someone can shed some light. If you haven't been to Alphies, it's pretty cool.

This is a post entitled "mini tiki crawl in santa barbara" and features a great picture of Chucks illuminated by the tiki torches.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10124&forum=4

Here is a more brief posting entitled "Santa Barbara Hotel recommendations." http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4683&forum=1

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-09-03 19:02 ]

H

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I am going there on Sunday for a few days.

C

Hiltiki-Check my post on this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8021&forum=2&4

The surf museum can be hard to find. I posted some pics and a few tips on how to get to it. Enjoy S.B, I love that town.
Chongolio

The surf museum has a 16inch concrete Ku tiki in front of the museum, on a pedestal.

My bad, I didn't realize this thread (and the above refered to it: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8021&forum=2&4

Tiki attire can be found at Gary's Island, located in Paseo Nuevo.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-11-09 19:03 ]

B

While not entirely tiki, Santa Barbara does boast the last known Sambo's diner. And it retains its googie signage, as well as it's Modern interior kitchen and stool set-up. They also sell the postcards and the mugs from the original logo and characters. For those who have never seen it, the main character is a little Aladdin waif, with big Margaret Keane-style eyes. It's genius.

You can see my dad's picture at the Mission. In this black and white photo he's dressed up as a priest.

Not tiki I know but try food at the Brown Pelican on Hendry's beach. They hired me to do a tiki for them years ago(my first commision) but the tiki is no longer there. Alphies in Goleta I hear is good too.

A

I lived in SB for a long time, and one of my fave haunts is the Paradise Cafe. If you have a yen for Cajun/Creole check out the Palace Cafe as well - simply amazing food and service...and the staff have musical fun with the guests, too. On lower State Street is Joe's Cafe for drinks...seriously fun place with a lot of history and atmosphere. If you're into burgers, Cliff's Burgers on Cliff Drive is FANTASTIC!

Per capita, SB has more restaurants than just about any other city in CA - just about every type of cuisine for every palate!
Sigh - wish I could be there, too...Santa Babs is one of my most loved cities on the planet! If you live close enough to go there regularly - one of the most fun weekends is Summer Solstice in June, featuring a wildly fun parade and weekend long party on and around State St.

Personally, I would avoid the big chain restaurants...you can go to those anywhere. Just dive into the local, very individual 'spots' that are favored by locals.

Have a great time!

amiotiki (tina)

Oh Sheeet. She pulled out Cliff's on me.. Ooh the cajun chicken sandwich there is the bomb. Rusty's pizza is tasty. One thing that is good eating and you can take it with you is "Santa Barbara Hot Sauce".

Joe'serves a stiff drink and good food. Harry's on upper state has a great beef dip sandwhich and I dig the red booths there. Rudy's mex food was good back in the day, but has slipped . Best tortilla chips in SB are from La Tolteca. My mom used to work there in HS. I gues I due for a visit now that I am all hungry. Oh still no tiki though.

There's also Alphie's - an authentic old Tiki diner just north of Santa Barbara, in Goleta:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3465&forum=1

Sabu

Unfortunately the Polynesian Motel is gone (433 w. Montecito St.), but the decor is cool at Alphies (just north of SB in Goleta). For Mexican we like La Super Rica Taqueira on Milpas or Chilangos on State (their chimichanga tortilla is more like a pastry), there is also an antique store just north on the same side of the street. For dessert the sopapillas at Santa Fe Cafe on State are yummy.

If you have time stop by on your way up. We are right off the 101. Have fun!

A

Lord, how could I have forgotten La Super Rica, Rusty and Harry's!!! Serious senior moment here. I've eaten a few breakfasts at Alphie's too...my heart is aching to be back in Santa Babylon!

Gotta figure out a way to become a zillionaire so I can afford to live there again, hmmm

amiotiki

p.s. Don't forget the San Ysidro Pharmacy - phenom breakfasts and sometimes you'll dine with someone famous (I got to sit next to Richard Widmark once upon a time)

[ Edited by: amiotiki 2006-04-27 21:04 ]

Hula in Santa Barbara

riday, Saturday
Time: 7:30 - 10:30 pm
Phone: (805) 682-5385 / (805) 382-6274
Price: free
Ticketing Phone: (805)964-7881

Carl Ray Villaverde and Joanie Collins are Mango, and they are both wonderfully talented instrumentalists and vocalists. Carl Ray will dazzle you with his inimitable stylings on the Ukulele - he is one of Hawai`i's premier players, as well as a singer and songwriter.

Liana Aranita,the Hula dancer who headlines the Hawaiian show portion of the evening,is not only lovely and gracious, but is very accomplished. She performed for many years on the Big Island of Hawaii for Tihati, and as part of the the Lim family's Halau took part in the Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo. She travelled to Tahiti and to New Zealand as ambassador of Aloha.

I always forget the name of the restaraunt, but the place at Goleta Beach seems to have a new Moai that wasn't there before.

On 2006-04-20 20:41, Tiki Diablo wrote:
You can see my dad's picture at the Mission. In this black and white photo he's dressed up as a priest.

Is this a joke?

Headed up there President's day weekend.
Looking forward to another visit to Kalyra wine tasting room!

Pages: 1 18 replies