Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Help me hook up my laptop please

Pages: 1 2 replies

M

I am so bad at this type of thing. I spent all day trying to hook up a wireless network...forget it. Now I just want to hook up my new laptop to my cable internet service. We have a desktop with Comcast Broadband cable service, comcast supply's a small router? where the tv cable goes in and the ethernet cable goes out for our desktop, can I just get one of those at the supercomputermarket and splice it in with my tv cable? I don't need the wireless as it will just sit still and don't really want to network anyway as my roomy's computer is a mess and likely why I coudn't set up my wireless. I'd just get another hookup from comcast but they are not taking phone calls in Frances afterpath and I'm chomping at the bit to hook this $&#@'$ up.

T

You can do that, just try to get a splitter that only breaks to two lines as impedence becomes an issue. If the signal is too weak the cable light on your routher will just blink and you won't be able to connect to the broadband network. The install-it-yourself package Comcast has here in MD comes with one such splitter. It also comes with 2 higher quality coax cables. One for the wall to the splitter and one from the splitter to the modem. Good luck.
Another option is to send me down to FLA and feed me drinks at the Mai Kai till it works. :)

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-09-08 18:21 ]

M

Thanks Turbogod, I'll give that a shot.

Pages: 1 2 replies