Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A request for a Florida palm log...

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha All!

Florida Ohana... good to hear the reports of safety from you all after the rage of the tropics and I hope that any in the path of Ivan come out safe and sound... hopefully he will stay away from Florida or weaken to the point where damage is minimal.

Anyway... in a short time I will make my way down to Hukilau in a van full of tikis to spread far and wide across the land. With the recent storms bringing down trees I was hoping to secure a few chunks of palm to maybe try my hand at carving the tropical wood when I get home. I was wondering if any East Coast Florida Ohana might have some of those lying about? I hope none of your trees came down but if they did I might lighten your burden of removing them. If not how might I obtain one?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and it will help me broaden my horizons as a carver. I would be seeking a size of between 3-4 foot... maybe 8-10 inch in diameter...

I so look forward to meeting you all in Fort Lauderdale! Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-09-11 01:35 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-09-13 00:37 ]

There is alot of down wood available right now here, though little is Palm and much is being chipped.

Damn Lake Surfer,
The third hurricane hasn't even gone through yet, and you’re already carvin away. :)

On 2004-09-10 22:38, McDougall wrote:
There is alot of down wood available right now here, though little is Palm and much is being chipped.

Thanks McDougall... I have plenty of the other stuff... pine, birch, oak... etc. Was hoping for some palm but I guess that's pretty bendy stuff in the wind...

Hey Lake Surfer ...

My wife's cousin has two trees in her yard that she was going to have taken out. I spoke with her last night, and she said that if anyone is willing to come and do the work for free, they are welcome to the trees.

I'm guessing they are about 8"-12" in diameter, and that the usable portion of the trunk is going to be somewhere around 20 or 25 feet.

If you take them, is there any chance I might get a tiki out of the deal??? :)

Cheers!

lakesurfer: i was going to recommend you pack a chainsaw for your trip ~ and go hunting for downed trees.. of course, ask first but it seems likely a homeowner would be happy for someone to take fallen trees off their hands!

have a safe trip...
e

it's been a while since ive posted on here in fact so long I forgot my damn password .so I just created a new account name.first off whats up to all the old guys and new members too. although i havent been active on here fer a while i do look round here often and am constantly blown away and ispired by the friggin amount of talent here. i just basically havent had nothing important to post and well you get the idea.anyways the reason im posting here is cause Lake surfer is asking bout a palmwood log and i think i can help ya if yer making the hukilau i can surely get a piece out to ya bro I will be taking my tikis and tattoo related paintings this year and will be at the kreepy tiki booth late as usual. let me know if you still got room fer it. stay up, Jaksin

Mahalo, but I'll pass on the cutting down of trees...

Jaksin... your offer sounds good... I'm renting a van and driving down from Wisconsin with my tikis and other stuff... so I'd have room...

PM me with the details when you get a chance...

Thanks for the kind responses everyone!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-09-13 00:35 ]

hey surfer, jimmy here. I'll be packin a chainsaw when I arrive. we should hook up and go hunting palms! you know we gotta bring some back. got some on my last trip. carves like butter. cant carve them like a blacksmith arm like were used to doing with hardwood.

Aloha Jimmy! Sounds good! Looking forward to seeing you guys again!

Hi Lake Surfer;

Joelle was out running and found some palm log segments, so I went down and picked them up. They aren't "prime", but should still make some interesting carving. I have one piece that is 3', two that are 2', and two that are 1.5'. The biggest one just over 2', and is probably 18" in diameter. The palm appears to have been diseased, so someone took it out. If you want these, let me know and we'll arrange for you to pick them up at some point - otherwise I can use them for landscaping.

The offer for ANYONE who would like a couple of whole trees stands - Florence, my wife's cousin just wants them out, and if nobody takes them, she'll end up paying someone to remove and chip them. If you have a saw, I'll be glad to pitch in with the removal efforts.

Cheers!

Cybertiki... sounds good... maybe we can discuss the details over the weekend...

I have to see what kind of room I have on the ride home...

Mahalo!

B

If you don't find any, just stop in Ft Pierce on your way home and I'm sure you can fill up your truck.

Pages: 1 12 replies