Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Living in Hawaii??? Any Thoughts?

Pages: 1 19 replies

D

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Hawaii...I mean, why not. I know there are a few TC members calling the Islands home. So, here are the questions: how is your experience living in Hawaii (job, cost, rent$$ etc.)? What are the upsides (other than being in paradise) and what are the down sides? We currently live in Los Angeles. Any pointers from locals is a big help!!!!!!!!! THANKS

I don't live in Hawaii but I've stayed there extensively in my parents' condo, and my two best friends were raised there.

this is what I know:
they say if you're not a native, you get Island Fever pretty quick - these islands are awfully small and Mainlanders start to feel penned in while there long term.

everything moves at a slow pace, compared to the dizzying pace of most of america (which is not always a good thing). some locals don't like or appreciate Haole (white) and/or Mainlanders - but you get that sort of thing in many locations other than Hawaii. learn a lot about the culture - king kam, captn cook, Liliuokalani, and the history and language.

it's really hot and humid most of the time and the large bugs and critters are sometimes scary (poisonous centipedes, scorpions, rats). everything is overpriced, because it does cost a lot extra to ship everything to the islands. the humidity ruins anything you have that can rust (cars, etc). furniture should be made of wood and glass. electronic equipment (tv, vcr, stereo) sometimes has to be replaced once a year.

those are the only drawbacks. personally I'd probably at least give it a try - it is so beautiful and relaxing there. everyone I know who stays there for one or two weeks starts thinking about ways to move there. when you've established citizenship, if you're below income levels, health care is free (which is nice).

they have no rabies on the island, so if you want to bring a pet over, it has to sit in a quarantine cell for 1 or 3 months. you can visit it, but it's not a pleasant experience for the pet.

that is my perspective of a Mainlander on the Islands. this will probably differ from people who were raised there. Also, I mean no disrespect but am reporting any possible "cons" I have heard or experienced.

You probably already know all of this:

By living in LA, you probably won't be shocked by the housing prices in Hawaii.

Oahu is by far the most urban island & where most of the jobs are. I believe the largest non-tourism and non-public industry employer is Kaiser (SCPG) - maybe you can get hired here and transfer - thats my plan(dream).

The utilities are also major employers.

The commute could even be worse than here - traffic is horrific - and that blissful oceanfront place is not going to be in downtown Honolulu.

The housing is not the same quality and type as here (in my opinion). The condos are all needles in the sky without any land to call your own.

Do you have any ohana in the islands? I've also heard by a CPA thinking of moving there that Hawaii is slightly skewed for those of Japanese ancestry. (not my views)

The question is: How much lower in income are you and your wife willing to accept to live in what may or may not be paradise.

Is it worthwhile to drive to Waikiki to be a waiter to work in Hawaii if all else fails?

ECONOMY The State of Hawaii's cost of living is one of America's highest, its per capita personal income below average. In fact, Hawaii's cost of living for a family of four is estimated to be approximately 27% higher than the U.S. average for a comparable standard of living. In 1999, Hawaii's average per capita personal income of $27,544 was 3.5% below the U.S. average - the price of living in Paradise!

The State of Hawaii's major sources of annual income include:
Tourism - $10.3 billion (1999)*
Federal Defense Spending - $4.2 billion(1999)
Sugar - $133.1 million (1998)
Pineapple - $145.1 million (1998)

• Tourism annual income figures are deceptive, since a percentage of tourism dollars do not remain in the Islands, but are returned to overseas investors.

The 1990's has been the worst decade in Hawaii's economic history since World War II due, in large measure, to the decline in tourism from the East and the demise of the sugar and pineapple industries. To meet the challenges of the 21st Century, Hawaii is working to diversify its economy with a focus on industries such as science and technology, health and wellness tourism, diversified agriculture, ocean research and development, and film and television production.

The Big Island's major sources of annual income include agriculture (the majority of the State's fruits, nuts and coffee are produced on Big Island) and tourism. Sugar cane is no longer produced on Big Island - abandoned in 1996.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/bi.htm

D

The fine folks who work at McDonald's can afford to live there, sure they may have 2 other jobs but "THEY DO" live in Hawaii, it "CAN" be done...The Sea, the Sea! The answers be on the sea! Land is overrated...buy a nice big boat and live on it! I bet a slip rental is chump change compared to high housing costs. That's a guess on my part though. Just a bit O' pie in the sky, bein' the landlocked lubber that I be...Arrrrrr!

M

There is a whole lot we could be telling you, but basically the cost of living is very high and don't expect to buy a home here unless you've got a home on the mainland and you are selling it to downgrade for a hawaii home. The median single family home on Maui is over $500,000 and the jobs really don't pay all that well. Your best bet is starting your own business.

I rent a 2 bedroom 700 square foot cottage for $1,500 a month, to give you an idea of rent.

Don't believe everything Dangergirl says, it's not all that bad.

It really depends on which island you move to and what your standards of living are. If I were moving to Hawaii now (i've lived on Maui for 15 years) I'd choose the Big Island. It's got more going on than Kauai, but still not as crowded as Maui or Oahu. It's also much more affordable than Maui, or most parts of Oahu and Kauai.

If you really want to get away from it all, consider Lanai. Lots of hotel work and not a lot else. The ferry ride to Maui is only $25.

feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions.

(You'll get used to the rats, mongeese, roaches and centepedes)

K

I've lived here since 1981 with an absense spent in Oregon. I consider myself "downwardly mobile" without many possessions save a huge record collection, and have never owned a car in Hawaii. I love Hawaii, but it is NOT for everyone. I pay $600 a month for a studio in Waikiki and THAT is a GOOD DEAL..most would be paying at least $675. If you are cool with working in hotels and restaurants, and not "getting anywhere" in the material sense, I say go for it. If you have serious career ambitions, want a nice house and are building to a comfortable retirement..I'd say "forget it." I'm living like Gaugain..which works for me..LOL.

On 2004-09-15 21:35, MauiTiki wrote:
The median single family home on Maui is over $500,000

That's cheaper than San Francisco!

Thank you guys and gals for the info. It is very informative. Actually my wife and I are considering HI after living in LA and San Diego for years...and as most of you know, those are very expensive cities to live in, especially San Diego!! She's in her late 20's and I'm in my early 30's and the primary consideration is school. She is looking to go to graduate school and we are just ready to move and get a change of pace, scenery, culter...you name it. If we do move to HI, it will most likely be for only 2 and a half years anyway.

As for rent, it sounds high, but pretty darn close to what you pay here in LA. I truley appriciate your honest comments, both the positive and the negative are very helpful--keep'em comin'.

This might help

&

Might be worth a look too

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-09-16 11:30 ]

cynfulcynner,
You're right about that!!! I have 2 friends who live in the SF area, one right in town and I'm floored by the money they shell out in rent!!!

Thanks Dawn, I'm gonna check out that books for sure!!!

[ Edited by: Digitiki on 2004-09-16 11:49 ]

Oddly enough, the mongoose was introduced to Hawaii to rid the canefields of mice and rats. The operation was not successful however, because the mongoose hunts by day and the mice and rats are nocturnal.

On 2004-09-16 16:20, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Oddly enough, the mongoose was introduced to Hawaii to rid the canefields of mice and rats. The operation was not successful however, because the mongoose hunts by day and the mice and rats are nocturnal.

which sadly has led to the extinction & near extinction of many of hawaii's birds!

run over those beady eyed varments!

[i]On 2004-09-16 11:11, Digitiki wrote:

[A]s most of you know, those are very expensive cities to live in, especially San Diego!! . . . If we do move to HI, it will most likely be for only 2 and a half years anyway.

I think you may wish to stay in San Diego. It's the closet place next to Hawaii outside of South Florida.

If law school is the graduate school of choice, I recommend my alma mater, University of San Diego.

(However, for other graduate programs, it is probably too expesive.)

On 2004-09-16 10:59, cynfulcynner wrote:

The median single family home on Maui is over $500,000

That's cheaper than San Francisco!

Unfortunately, that is about the cost of a home in LA, depending on the location.

One bedroom condos in the Village Green currently are $300K (outrageous!).

You also may wish to contact Filslash, who lives near Waikiki. http://www.tikicentral.com/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=1320

Gecko, also lives on Oahu, on the Windward side, I think.

Hey, at least ther are no snakes or rabies.

D

No, not law school, she's doing Psychology. But, one of the best schools is right here in LA, so we may have to just stay here for a while longer. Who knows.

hey mauitiki- how are the surfbreaks there- I mean as far as varying levels.. I'm used to decent sized Atlantic hurricane surf, but it is beachbreak over sand. Not sure I'd want to jump into that situation adding a coral reef 5 feet under the surface (at least not right away)

..I ask, because I believe you once replied to a post I made re: surfing

The wife and I have considered Maui a few times, although I havent been to that island yet (most of the others though) ..and close dependable surfbreak is high on the list for me.. of course, I'm thinking something that is not kamikaze either .. just headhigh, chunky and preferrably doesnt require booties :)

does this exist there?

anyway, I have a friend who lives in Waileai (sp?) and I will probably be staying there early next year for a week or two. Of course, I'd like to get some surfing in while i'm there (they dont surf) and would love to have a surf-guide

On 2004-09-17 13:19, Digitiki wrote:
[O]ne of the best schools is right here in LA, so we may have to just stay here for a while longer. Who knows.

Come back to LA, of course, but don't miss the opportunity to spend a few years in Hawaii.

Changing locale for education gives one the opportunity, justification & incentive to live somewhere different which occurs all too rarely in life.

I loved living in San Diego for those years and I am sure you would love living in Hawaii for a few years even more.

Pages: 1 19 replies