Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Waimea Brewing Co

Pages: 1 11 replies

did a search, think this has not been brought up yet. Waimea Brewing Co has a Luau beer and Waimea Bay beer. The Luau is a little sweet and nutty, but better than newcastle. They have a nice site worth visiting, waimeabrewing.com. The beers have some pretty nice art, which caught my attention at Trader Joes.

Our Trader Joes discountinued a lot of stuff including beer. They say they discountinue stuff that doesn't sell. They can't sell beer in NY?! Very frustrating.

I saw a coupla different varieties of Waimea beer last time I was at Trader Joe's and checked it out awhile, liked the artwork on the labels but wound up picking up a sixpack of my current fave Trader Joe's beer - Fat Weasle Ale. I thought I'd wait until somebody on Tiki Central tried Waimea and gave it the TC seal of approval before I wasted my money on something that might turn out to be the new (dare I say it)...PRIMO.

I like the beer, and have just finished my last six pack. I would still rather drink the Red Seal that the Trader sells.

Cheers,

KT

Trader Joes has gotten in trouble int he past for selling beer that's far past when the brewery wants it sold by. This can really impact the taste of what you buy from them.

Old beers oxidize, and have less crispness, sometimes take on a sourness, especillay if kept near sunlight(or brewed with corn)...but also can take on a papery charachter if old.

There are some swell beers at TJs, but saving a dollar or two isn't worth the sadness of dumping something out.

have dumped some several wierd ales, one just yeaterday...

I belive Fat Weasle is contract brewed by SLO Brewing and is high gravity...holds up pretty well at least out here in the west.

I have also had nothing but good luck with Chimay Cinq Cent.

Christ, what a horrible snob I am.

T

i went and got a 6-pack of the luau lager last week. i thought it was some pretty good stuff. don't know what the alcohol content is on it, couldn't find it on the bottle or box, but after 4 in about 1 1/2 hour, i was feelin'good.

P

I picked up some of the luau lager over the weekend at Trader Joe's and tried some with pizza. I thought it was awful and ended up dumping most of it out. I replaced it with a San Miguel. Much better.

PiPhiRho, I had the same thing happen. Dumping beer kills me...The stuff I was drinking had been "Light Struck" which gives beer a horrible sour stench, but it was also oxidized...maybe other things too, but I couldn't get it close enough to my face to drink.

S

Saw a bunch of this stuff at Bevmo today but after reading this thread, I left it there on the shelf :D

DZ

I've never tried the bottled version, but the Purple Orchid has Luau Lager on tap. I've downed quite a few of them and I find it pretty good!

P

I have tried it again since my first experience, this time without any food. I didn't like it any better. I really don't like this brew. It has a bitter undertaste that overwhelms all other flavors and lingers as an unpleasant aftertaste for way too long.

I have only had this out of the bottle and never on tap. Certainly it could be much better out of the tap but it certainly is horrible out of the bottle. But hey, everybody has different tastes and if you LIKE a beer that is a lot like being punched in the mouth, then by all means try it. You might like it. I didn't.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Nov 13, 2004 7:40 PM

On 2004-11-02 20:00, PiPhiRho wrote:
I picked up some of the luau lager over the weekend at Trader Joe's and tried some with pizza. I thought it was awful and ended up dumping most of it out.

Dumping beer is so wasteful. Save it for unwelcome company. Anybody comes over here and gets a Road Dog Ale then you know you crossed the line somewhere's in the past.

Pages: 1 11 replies