Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Are you a gearhead?

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

Ive noticed that lots of tiki people are into cars aswell, show us what ya got. Wether its collectible or full size or just anything hotrod/car related..
Here are some of my toys I collected

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-16 01:12 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-16 01:33 ]

That Caddy is stylin.

F
foamy posted on Thu, Sep 16, 2004 6:22 AM

Hey Rodeo, nice little collection ya got goin'. I used to be into Camaros. Drove a '74LT (stroked it a bit), a '77 and an '83 Z-28 (fair game for any Mustang at a stoplight).
Had the thought one day that I wanted to build a couple of model cars again, so I got on ebay and over the course of a few months collected my five favorite cars. A '63 Studebaker Avanti, '62 T-bird, '68 Camaro, '67 Mustang Fastback and a '67 Vette. I haven't built one of 'em yet. Just having them is almost enough. But not quite. The Avanti I got was the original release of the kit (imagine that!), so I bought another, much later release to build. How I would love to have a real one. Even an Avanti II would do.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-09-16 06:30 ]

I have a horrid weakness for International Harvesters. The company was founded by Cyrus McCormick, in the 1830s, and was the inventor of the two week paid vacation. The company stopped building cars in 1980 (still build big trucks) You had to go to to a rural area where they sell tractors to buy a Scout...

I have three just now.

i've got tons of car models - non photo'ed yet... must do.

for those of you who have recently been discussing early 60's valiants, if yer looking for diecast models, there's a company in australia who has many versions available. the valiant is highly revered down under 8) i can track down de infoz...

J

I’ve been a “gear head” since I first got my ’51 Ford Custom Fordor when I was 15, nearly 20 years ago! I’d post some current pictures but the car is now undergoing a rehab and is no where near as presentable as it was in these pictures circa 1996. I actually just came across these “artsy fartsy” shots I took when I was taking a photography course and just wanted to eat up the end of a roll of film. I think I must have run out before I could get a full shot of the car! Right now, I’m in the planning stages of frenching the head and tail lights, replacing the rear end and eventually getting all the knicks and dings pulled out and the whole thing repainted. This car has been with me through all the important events of my teen and adult life - I drove it to high school everyday (except in the snow), drove it to 3 homecoming dances, 2 proms and my wedding. Thinking back I’m lucky the car has survived – I remember one night coming home from an old girlfriend’s house and having some ass riding on my bumper in some foreign car. When he got in the lane to pass me I floored the thing, he didn’t realize I had a 400 Chevy small block under the hood. Needless to say the other driver had to get back behind me after I looked down and saw the speedometer’s needle had passed the 100 MPH designation and was beginning to bounce into the nether regions off the gauge. Ahh, the stupid things you do when you’re an inexperienced testosterone fueled teenager – I could have easily lost control of the car and worse yet been killed – it doesn’t even have seatbelts!

I love that car johntiki, I want to build a old ratrod one day, flatblack, lots of stripping with red tuck and roll interior
foamy.. did you know there is a company now making all STEEL 69 camaro body's. Saw it on the cover of a mag.

Here's the only picture I've got on my computer of my 52 Buick Special. It was taken about 5 months after I bought her. That was about 4 years ago. She's changed a bit since then. My whole family has always been gear heads. My pop used to build and, on occasion, race drags. We've also got a 65 Linclon Continental, 46 Chevy pick 'em up, and a 51 Ford Custom in the family.

this ain't me, but my pops is putting a hemi in a 41 dodge truck... could be sweet...

The Gearheads of Tiki Central are fine young men indeed ....

I'm definitely a gearhead.
My first car was 1970 Barracuda (the story about how I imported practically the whole drivetrain and made a hot rod out of it and then crashed it is somewhere in the old posts) also had 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger, which I sold before I moved to the States (also had a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport parts car).
Now I part time work on cars, learning a lot from my friend/boss. We worked on a 1955 Plymouth Savoy, a 1970 Challenger RT/SE, and a few other intersting cars. Before I left I just bought a 1967 Dodge A-100 van (V8/auto) which I'm already looking for ways to upgrade with disk brakes, maybe some Moon gauges and other little things.
Oh - I might have a 1972 Dodge Challenger waiting for me in Ocala, FL along with the drivetrain from my wrecked Barracude, as a future project.

Ran

TB

On 2004-09-16 14:16, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I'm definitely a gearhead.
My first car was 1970 Barracuda (the story about how I imported practically the whole drivetrain and made a hot rod out of it and then crashed it is somewhere in the old posts) also had 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger, which I sold before I moved to the States (also had a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport parts car).
Now I part time work on cars, learning a lot from my friend/boss. We worked on a 1955 Plymouth Savoy, a 1970 Challenger RT/SE, and a few other intersting cars. Before I left I just bought a 1967 Dodge A-100 van (V8/auto) which I'm already looking for ways to upgrade with disk brakes, maybe some Moon gauges and other little things.
Oh - I might have a 1972 Dodge Challenger waiting for me in Ocala, FL along with the drivetrain from my wrecked Barracude, as a future project.

Ran

MOPAR rules! My favorite is the 1970 HemiCuda, 1974 Barracuda, & Challenger T/A

No pics uploaded
Cars:
94' Ford Ranger/351 modified-nitrous (now my oldest sons hooptie, still only 49,000 original mi.)
99' Chevrolet Blazer (gotta have a family rig)
01' Ford Lightning/modified-blown-nitrous (my #1 girl)
04' Mini Cooper (wifes hooptie)
04' Ford Cobra/modifying (just got this one)
Old school chopper (a continual work in progess started in May)

[ Edited by: Hehena Haole on 2004-09-16 15:08 ]

My car is pictured in my sig...

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS, silver with tan top & interior.

Add-ons:

• teeth
  • air horns (LOUD!)
  • chrome trim on gauges, air vents and climate controls
  • Oris Windstop (that mesh thing behind your head in convertibles)
  • vintage-style luggage rack
  • Shag stickers

I'm showing it at Miatapalooza this weekend.

94' Ford Ranger/351 modified-nitrous (now my oldest sons hooptie, still only 49,000 original mi.)

NICE! Have you guys raced it? If so what are runnin?

cynfulcynner --

Can you post pics please of your Miata? Lots of them? Instrument panel too?

Thanks!

On 2004-09-16 15:40, Satan's Sin wrote:
Can you post pics please of your Miata? Lots of them? Instrument panel too?

The pic below is from Mazda's web site My instrument panel looks similar, but it doesn't have the chrome trim on the center console.

On 2004-09-16 15:38, SON OF MOTHRA wrote:

NICE! Have you guys raced it? If so what are runnin?

Oh yeah. Its seen a few passes. This one is set up for street kills. My son dials in an inconsistant 10.6-11.4. Good traps and timid luanches. Hes only 17. Ive run 9.4 with 4.10s and slicks. I put 3.55s in it, pulled the timing and fuel, and pilled it back to 50 shot, so he can control it somewhat on street tires and run 93 octane. Its still pretty scary to drive though. Its very nose heavy and light in the rear. Still, even moderate throttle at cruise speed will light up the rubber.

cynfulcynner --

Thanks! Gorgeous! Love Miatas; that one's unforgettable!

I was born a Gearhead. My dad had a '40 Ford that was as hot as you could get in the late forties & early '50's in L.A. and be street legal. My uncle tore up the streets of N. Long Beach & East L.A. in his '57 Chevy and my cousin raced drag bikes and dragsters at Lion's Dragstrip (Long Beach). I currently own two Mustang GT's and am lookin' around for a Cobra. My question is - "has anybody ever been in a bad enough crash (bike or car) that they've considered never getting in a car (or bike) again?" I crashed a '71 Triumph GT6 at 95 mph and rolled it 3 times fracturing my skull, breaking my ribs and collarbone and coming pretty damn close to breaking my neck. When I woke up the next day in the hospital and found out my car had been totaled I started thinking about what my next car was gonna be. Now that's Gearhead.

Shipwreckjoey caught by automatic stoplight camera.

Do any of you have a couple of these under your hood?

(I'll be impressed if you can identify this.)

Does it have any thing to do with a Wankle Rotary Engine?

More pictures of my car for Satan's Sin:

You've heard of the Wankel engine? I have the Wanker engine (see gearshift).

various affiliations (college, car club, tiki) :D

On 2004-09-17 08:28, Satan's Sin wrote:
Shipwreckjoey caught by automatic stoplight camera.

That would make a GREAT tattoo!

On 2004-09-19 01:44, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Does it have any thing to do with a Wankle Rotary Engine?

DING DING DING! If you own a Mazda RX7 or RX8, you have two of these.

cynfulcynner --

Thanks for the additional Miata posts -- beautiful car.

And yes, I know that rotary engine very well. I had a Mazda RX-3, ages ago. Very smooth acceleration. A little slow to get out of first and second gear, but once you were up and running it was very very powerful. You could be going 70 and stomp the accelerator and it would really just take off!

Not so good in the milage dept.

P.S. -- visited a friend Fri night who just bought a Thunderbird. It's smaller than the photos led me to believe -- but that's a good thing. Sitting in it was like sitting in a "regular" sports car -- as opposed to an oversized American convertible. Nice tight feel to everything -- like a Mercedes. Transmission can flip from automatic to stick shift -- neat! Engine is a Jaguar V-8 -- wow!

Owner reports that whenever she's in Palm Springs she sees tons of these cars. I understand. First place I'd go would be Palm Springs -- with the top down, of course, as one tears across the beautiful desert.

My own dream is to have one of these beauts -- with bright aqua paintjob. And seats done over in leopard skin. Would go so well with my ivory cigarette holder and monocole. Heaven!

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2004-09-19 08:55 ]

On 2004-09-19 08:52, Satan's Sin wrote:
P.S. -- visited a friend Fri night who just bought a Thunderbird.

My own dream is to have one of these beauts -- with bright aqua paintjob. And seats done over in leopard skin.

I assume you're talking about the retro-looking late-model T-Bird.

Mazda made an aqua ("Crystal Blue") Miata in 2001 and 2002:

It probably wouldn't be too hard to find a used one of these, and it would cost a lot less than the Thunderbird!

--cindy

That is a KKM (Kreiskolbenmotor ) or planetary rotation motor (PLM). That one in particular is an eccentric Wankel type.

[ Edited by: Hehena Haole on 2004-09-19 16:13 ]

Cindy -- this is the one I mean:

To chose between this and a Miata is truly a "Sophie's Choice!"

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2004-09-19 16:41 ]

On 2004-09-19 16:40, Satan's Sin wrote:
To chose between this and a Miata is truly a "Sophie's Choice!"

I haven't driven (or ridden in) one of these, so I can't really have an opinion.

Here's a somewhat amusing photo I came across today -- the grave of Felix Wankel, inventor of the rotary engine:

Compare this to the rotary engine photo I posted earlier. :)

Here is a version of the thunderbird that chip foose did for ford. They called it the speedbird.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2004 3:31 AM

Heres a ride ive been thinking about for a few weeks. '70's Mopar wagon (im thinking Valiant, but they are Australian, not sure of US equivalent) finished in real chunky green metal flake, gasser running gear and stance(70s era drag car style), 10 spoke fron runners, halibrand jelly beans up back, funky script down the side 'The Tiki Wagon', usual drag stickers, yellow or green window tinting, venetians in rear windows, lei from rear window

On 2004-09-16 11:50, Johnny Dollar wrote:
this ain't me, but my pops is putting a hemi in a 41 dodge truck... could be sweet...

That is so lush J$. Post some pictures during the build.

Okay, I'm gonna try this:

My '66 Ford Fairlane (Purchased in '83), The '48 Ford (Just got in May '04) and the '75 Stingray (Bought in August '85)

I'll try to get some more of the Ford posted as it has a cool Tiki-theme going.

J

I know this topic has long since fallen into the depths but I came across the missing shot of my '51 Ford and wanted to share it...

I think I have said it before , Damn John I love that car!!

S

I'm no gearhead but the coolest car I ever had was a Plymouth "Savoy" with push button transmission.I can't remember the year but it was early '6o's.

Mopars Rule! Love, Love, Love Plymouth/Dodge! Especially the E-Bodies.

My favorite, bar none, the 71 barracuda. I think it has the most aggressive looking grill. Cant; beat the high impact color: sublime green, damn I'm in heaven. I've been to several Mopar Nationals and just drool, pant, and orgasm.

I've collected a whole bunch of American Muscle reproduction models: 69, 70 chargers, 69, 70 challengers, 69, 70, 71, barracudas. I have a couple of GTX models, Roadrunner, and Super Bee/Super Birds.

I also love the crazy die cast Muscle Machines. I have the large 70 barracuda Muscle Machine models in pretty much all the colors as well as the smaller ones.

It all started with the Dukes of Hazard. Loved the show as a kid and loved the General Lee...which incidentally, I have a die cast of that car too. I chewed my way though way too many bubble gum packs to collect all the Dukes of Hazard cards. (I've also got the metal lunch boxes, both sets--one with the "Real Dukes" and the one with the replacement "Cousins".)

If I were ever to get a tatoo, it would be the DODGE insignia. MOPAR RULES!

Continuing in the Mopar vein, I was just reading an article in the Aug 22 issue of Autoweek Mag about a guy in Fort Wayne, Indiana that found out he owns the 1st 1970 Plymouth 426 Hemi 'Cuda to roll off the production line. The car is completely original and very well cared for with only 17,700 miles on the odometer. He's received offers as high as $450,000.00 for the 'Cuda but prefers to hang onto it and display it at the National Automobile & Truck Museum in Auburn, Indiana.

H

On 2004-09-25 03:31, hewey wrote:
Heres a ride ive been thinking about for a few weeks. '70's Mopar wagon (im thinking Valiant, but they are Australian, not sure of US equivalent) finished in real chunky green metal flake, gasser running gear and stance(70s era drag car style), 10 spoke fron runners, halibrand jelly beans up back, funky script down the side 'The Tiki Wagon', usual drag stickers, yellow or green window tinting, venetians in rear windows, lei from rear window

Well it aint a Mopar, but I have agreed to purchase my brothers '71 Ford Wagon. And, I am about to apply to enter the Sydney Nostalgia Drags in October. First I gotta sell the bug, then its time to buy and tiki-fy wagon. Watch this space...

H

On 2005-08-20 19:03, CheekyGirl wrote:
Mopars Rule! Love, Love, Love Plymouth/Dodge! Especially the E-Bodies.

My favorite, bar none, the 71 barracuda. I think it has the most aggressive looking grill. Cant; beat the high impact color: sublime green, damn I'm in heaven. I've been to several Mopar Nationals and just drool, pant, and orgasm.

I've collected a whole bunch of American Muscle reproduction models: 69, 70 chargers, 69, 70 challengers, 69, 70, 71, barracudas. I have a couple of GTX models, Roadrunner, and Super Bee/Super Birds.

I also love the crazy die cast Muscle Machines. I have the large 70 barracuda Muscle Machine models in pretty much all the colors as well as the smaller ones.

It all started with the Dukes of Hazard. Loved the show as a kid and loved the General Lee...which incidentally, I have a die cast of that car too. I chewed my way though way too many bubble gum packs to collect all the Dukes of Hazard cards. (I've also got the metal lunch boxes, both sets--one with the "Real Dukes" and the one with the replacement "Cousins".)

If I were ever to get a tatoo, it would be the DODGE insignia. MOPAR RULES!

Sounds like my kinda girl :). Actually, my girl has got into her model cars in a big way. I will have to post some pics. Mainly Mopar muscle as well. Bitch is making them better than I ever have :). Great detailing and color schemes, too.

I thought the new "Dukes of Hazzard" was okay (saw it last night). Dodgey acting, but awesome driving. Everyone plays support to the General Lee, and a few good shots of Daisy's "Dukes" doesn't hurt. Then I read today they killed 26 Chargers to make it. Too high a price to pay I reckon. Wasnt that good.

On 2005-08-20 23:29, hewey wrote:

I thought the new "Dukes of Hazzard" was okay (saw it last night). Dodgey acting, but awesome driving. Everyone plays support to the General Lee, and a few good shots of Daisy's "Dukes" doesn't hurt. Then I read today they killed 26 Chargers to make it. Too high a price to pay I reckon. Wasnt that good.

That's why these new movies have such huge budgets (that and the stars want NFL size paychecks). I've heard that they went through about sixteen Shelby GT 500 Mustangs (replicars thank God) in the remake of Gone In 60 Seconds. Every car had a special purpose, some for interior shots, some for exterior still, driving, crashing shots, etc. Then if you blow a scene where a car gets destroyed, you have to bring in a fresh one for the re-shoot. You can see how that adds up.

Okay...a SERIOUS INQUIRY to you fellow tiki-lovin' motorheads.

I blew the Flathead in my '48 back in July. Just found out last week that it is toast...crack in the block down the cylinder wall - cannot be sleeved. I am in desperate need of a replacement.

If any of you have an old Flathead from a '48 Ford, (it'll have a 59 A-B on the block and heads), please, please, please let me know. If you KNOW someone who has one, let me know.

I'm trying to get this back together to take to the James Dean Run the last weekend in Sepetember. Right now, things aint looking good.

Yes, I have been watching Ebay motors and Ioffer and other sites. Yes, I have been scowering the countryside junk yards and finding only junk. NO, I can't spend a fortune on a MotorCity Flathead...I wish I could.

Any ideas, help, suggestions, well wishes, ect will be appreciated.
Thanks gang!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 23, 2005 6:44 AM

Stingray, a flathead you say. Let me look behind the couch...

[hewey looks behind couch]

...no, sorry. No flatty here. Good luck though, let us know how it goes.

This is the wagon I mentioned earlier. Shes fairly decent and very solid. Yet shabby enough to "play" with. The sedan in the background is my brothers car. Sweet.

I know a guy with a stock flathead he pulled out of his '49 Ford when he swapped it for a 302... he already sold the tranny but still has the engine sitting in his garage that he tells me he's holding for a future old school rod project, once he gets the Ford and his '55 F-100 on the road. I'll ask him if he wants to sell the flathead... if you'd be interested.

John, thanks, but actually the '49 is a bit different that the engine from the '48. The water necks on the '49 are in the front of the block, whereas the 59 A-B style out of a 48 and earlier have the water necks in the middle of the block.
I may have found one, going for a long drive this evening to check it out...friends of friends of friends, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks though. And John, if your friend does want to sell it, yes, let me know, because I can still play around with that '49 flattie and have some other projects in mind myself. Right now my only concern is getting the '48 back on the road.

Flatheads are addicitive...they are unreliable, they heat up too much, you constantly have to tinker with them and yet, here I am wanting to do another project with one! What did Sammy sing? "What kind of fool am I"?

Thanks again guys. Really appreciate it.

J

75 - no problem... I wasn't aware of the differences in the pre-'49 flatties - you learn something new every day! I'll have a chat w/him to see if he has any interest in selling. Good luck finding a replacement for your '48!

Pages: 1 2 50 replies