Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Man.. I just saw The Melvins play live and...

Pages: 1 30 replies

D

...they sucked! A friend and I saw them about two years ago and they blew our minds. We hyped this to a bunch of our friends and dragged them to the gig tonight, and they blew! So much for our close friends plunking down $20 each for a ticket. I felt so jipped. I mean the show had it' s moments, and maybe I wouldn't feel so bad if the show was cool and all out friends loved it too, but the band was riding the borderline of really, really kicking our asses. The Melvins live gigs are like a combination of Captain Beefheart meets The Grateful Dead meets Metallica. A great mix right? How could anybody go wrong with that (okay, maybe you all aren't in agreement with the Dead comparison)But usually they rock. Not tonight. Anybody out there have the same problem?!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-09-18 12:52 ]

I love the Melvins I have seen them a handful of times all of them great. I live in LA and I am planning to see them on October 14th. I recently bought their new album "Pigs of the Roman Empire" and I really was disapointed. I think there are two actual songs the rest total crap!!! I played the record only once and got tired of listening to never ending boring noise. I am all for noise only if it is useful to a song. I hope I get a better show than you did!!

D

Hey Sperm Whale-

Yeah I became a big fan when I saw them in '02. I was so blown away, I actually bought a copy of 'Gluey Porch Treatments' righ there at the gig. From then on I was hooked. I've come to realize though that the Melvins are one of those bands that is purely hit-or-miss with their recordings, and as I found out with their live gigs too.

For example, their 'Houdini' album has some great songs on it, but as a whole it is kinda lackluster. Ironically (or maybe coincidentally...depends on how you look at it) the songs produced by Kurt Cobain on that album suck! By the same token 'Ozma" is a totally ass-kicking record. I was hoping to hear some of that last night, but no dice.

Also: they only played and hour last night, so beware of feeling ripped off at the gig you're supposed to go to. But to give the guys the benefit of the doubt, the venue they played here was Webster Hall, a pretty huge, old, ornate dance club. Back in the day it was known as The Ritz. These days it is mainly a dance club, and they just started showcasing live acts again, so the M.O. for the management is have the bands play live in the main room, get the crowd out and get the cheesey dance club crowd in so they can continue getting door charge and sell drinks at inflated prices. Hence the one hour show. Major let-down.

Hey Donhoyc-
My first melvins show was in 95 at UC Irvine during lunch it was so great!! Lorax was playing Bass and it was just before Houdini came out. I have been seeing them ever since. I like early stuff as well as the new stuff. One of my favorites is STAG. Other great album are Stoner Witch, The Maggot, The Crybaby, The bootlicker, Electro retard, Hostal Ambient Takeover, Oh hell, I like most everything. All of them a little different from the other.
I saw them at AMEOBA Records in Hollywood and they played H.A.T. in its entirety. Their bass player Kevin Rutamis totally kicks ass. Have you ever listened to his old band "The Cows"? I love that band as well.
Anyway I am rambling.
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-18 13:41 ]

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-18 13:45 ]

D

Spermy-

Thanks for the reccomendations on the Melvins albums. The only way I ever get any info on them is word of mouth. I'll check out 'Stoner Witch'. That's a great title! Sounds like it could be pretty cool.

Melvins are a great band. I heard they opened for Kiss a couple of years back? While we were watching them last night a friend of mine turned to me and said he thought they sounded like "Nightmare Rock". Hey, maybe he coined a new term for the Rock genre. When I was watching them, diggin' it (during the good parts) I was like how do Buzz, Dale, and Kevin handle this beating night after night? They all must be totally deaf! Plus those wierd gowns (?) that Buzz and the bass player wear. They must be sweating their asses off. Insane! I guess if anything was worth the price of admission it was seeing Buzz in person. That guy is a bonafide freak!

Just thought I'd Tell you that I actualy met Buzz. He is pretty much a normal guy. Anyway, I Think you should check out THE COWS when you get a chance. THey are not like the Melvins but they are great.

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-18 22:31 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Sep 18, 2004 8:33 PM

On 2004-09-18 14:41, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Anyway, I Think you should check out THE COWS when you get a chance. THey are not like the Melvins but they are great.

Years ago one of my hobbies was making road tapes (mix tapes) to listen to in the car and one time I decided to make a scary/insane themed tape, for whatever reason. The peak of the tape was TAD "Wood Goblins" segueing into a Sebadoh song I don't remember the title of (it was off of a 7" and it was a folksy ditty about the thing that lived in the cornfield and ended with a spooky monologue, in an ever deepening voice, on the nature of magic) and that segued into The Cows "Almost a God." Pure gibbering insanity!

The Cows were a very unusual band. Are they still around? I've got some Melvins but not enough. Mostly singles. I'm gonna check out those recommendations as well. Thanks.

Unfortunatley the cows broke up a few years ago. The singer is now in a band called "THe Heroin Shieks". The bass player plays with "the Melvins" and "Tomahawk". I am glad that there is people on this site that not only love TIKI but also have eclectic taste in music. Exotica to Punk that is way cool!!

the melvins were great here in chicago on this tour....ive seen them prolly 10 times over the last decade.....and the heroine shieks have the same booking agent as my band tummler

Anyway, I Think you should check out THE COWS when you get a chance.

Wow, I caught them in London a good while back. The singer was swinging a wig he was wearing around and had something weird going on with a pair of someone else's dentures he had in his mouth. Blee!

They don't make frontmen like him, Gibby Haynes or David Yow any more...

Trader Woody

D

donhonyc:

for a truly great live band check out the CRAMPS,theyll be doing 2 nights at irving plaza in oct/nyc..........dave from jersey

On 2004-09-21 10:23, Trader Woody wrote:

They don't make frontmen like ... Gibby Haynes ... any more...

That's the kind o' sound I like!

D

Hey Dave-

Thanks for the recommendation. I am a Cramps fan from way back. I saw them at Roseland back in '97 and was planning on checking them out again at Irving.

Her is more more exciting info on another Melvins Release:
As of the 17th the collaboration between the Melvins and Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedy's) has been released exclusively on his label's website, it still won't be in stores until Oct. 19th though so the only way you can get it is through the web. Jello Biafra accompanied the melvins on stage for the last half of their set these last few days of their tour beginning with chicago last thursday. They've been playing a couple songs off the new album "Never Breathe What You Can't See" .
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? What happens when the most controversial Punk Rock vocalist/activist on earth teams up with the heaviest band of our time? What happens when Jello Biafra and the Melvins put their collective heads together and do an album?

"Never Breathe What you Can't See" is what happens! A musical monster of massive proportions is born, bristling with Jello's manic energy and anchored by the sheer heft of the Melvins' collective heaviness. With both camps flexing their musical prowess, the result is something that retains the signature qualities of both artists and yet sounds refreshingly unlike anything that either has recorded in the past.

If the tag team of Jello Biafra and the Melvins wasn't enough, there's guests from Tool, Phantom Limbs, Fleshies, Frisk, Spitboy, Malnourished, and Gag Order as well!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-21 19:04 ]

jello was at the chicago show and he joined the melvins for several dead kennedys songs.....

I just got some bad news:
from ipecac.com: We are very sorry to say, but due to an illness in the band the Melvins have cancelled all of their scheduled dates for the rest of the year. We are hoping that the shows will be able to be rescheduled in the future and the band sincerely apologizes for any incvonvenience caused by this unforseen circumstance. Knowing the Melvins like we do, we have no doubt that they will return stronger than ever. Thanks for your support and understanding
I am completly bummed!!! I was only 10 days away from seeing them at the Troubador in Santa Monica.
Later,
Spermy

D

Jeez...wonder what happened. Judging by the way those guys look, which is damn road weary, somebody needs a week at a spa. They ain't kids anymore. Time to consult a nutritionist or something.

Sorry you missed them. Come to think of it, maybe that's why they did a shorter than normal set when I saw them.

S

Spermwhale-
I was at that UC Irvine show in 95! Saw the Melvins several times in the mid to late 90's. They were often somewhere on the opening bill with bands like helmet, quicksand, rage against the machine. The last time I saw them was probably lates 90's, and it was a bad show, have not bothered to see them again.
There were some good shows at UCI when I went there; ramones, melvins, firehose, iggy pop, suicidal tendencies, fishbone, george clinton and P-Funk etc..

Bump for ROCKTOBER!!!

G
Gavin posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2010 9:16 AM

August 28, 2010 - Minneapolis, MN - Grumpy's 'Amrep 25th Anniversary Bash'
September 1, 2010 - Toronto, ON, Canada - Opera House
September 3, 2010 - Montreal, QC, Canada - Club Soda
September 4, 2010 - Rouyn-Noranda, QC, Canada - FME - Le Petit Theâtre
September 15, 2010 - West Hollywood, CA - Troubadour
September 16, 2010 - Santa Barbara, CA - Velvet Jones
September 17, 2010 - San Luis Obispo, CA - Downtown Brew
September 18, 2010 - San Jose, CA - Blank Club
September 19, 2010 - San Francisco, CA - Slims
September 21, 2010 - Reno, NV - The Underground
September 22, 2010 - Orangevale, CA - The Boardwalk
September 24, 2010 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
September 25, 2010 - Seattle, WA - Crocodile Cafe
September 27, 2010 - Tacoma, WA - Hell's Kitchen
September 28, 2010 - Bellingham, WA - Wild Buffalo House of Music
September 29, 2010 - Olympia, WA - Capitol Theater
September 30, 2010 - Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory
October 2, 2010 - Boise, ID - Neurolux
October 4, 2010 - Salt Lake City - The Complex
October 6, 2010 - Fort Collins, CO - Aggie Theatre
October 7, 2010 - Aspen, CO - Belly Up Aspen
October 9, 2010 - Santa Fe, NM - Santa Fe Brewing Co.
October 11, 2010 - San Diego, CA - The Casbah
October 12, 2010 - Costa Mesa, CA - Detroit Bar

I remember this thread !!! I will be at the Detroit Bar on October 12th !!!

On 2010-09-01 09:32, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I remember this thread !!! I will be at the Detroit Bar on October 12th !!!

should be bangin!

Ruz and Toe too

KING BUZZO!!!!!!!!!

Saw em first in San Francisco when i worked for Rusty Surfboards
and was doin an R&D trip..
This will be my 6th time
and they've always MELTED FACE with their ROCK'N!
Toe's never seen em...
gonna BLOW that Boy's MIND!!!!!

G
Gavin posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2010 8:10 AM

Going to The Casbah. I have not seen them in years, since they added the "new" Big Business rhythm section. Looking forward to seeing them with two drummers.

On 2010-09-02 08:10, Gavin wrote:
Going to The Casbah. I have not seen them in years, since they added the "new" Big Business rhythm section. Looking forward to seeing them with two drummers.

You will not be disappointed Gavin. I wish I could make it to the Casbah. I really like "A Senile Animal" and "Nude with Boots" !!! Their newest record is not that good in my opinion. I still dig The Melvins!!
I am stoked that I will be rockin with LLT and The TOE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
Gavin posted on Tue, Dec 14, 2010 4:42 PM

The Melvins are playing every Friday Night in January 2011 at Club Spaceland, in Silver Lake.

Jan. 7: Melvins set (current lineup performing songs from Colossus of Destiny); Lysol and Eggnog records in their entirety.

Jan. 14: Melvins 1983 (Buzz, Dale and Mike Dillard); Melvins set (current lineup performing normal set) and Houdini in its entirety.

Jan. 21: Melvins Lite (Buzz & Dale only); Melvins set (current lineup performing normal set) and Bullhead in its entirety.

Jan. 28: Melvins set (current lineup performing normal set) and Stoner Witch in its entirety.

For ticket information, please visit ClubSpaceland.com or call (323) 661-4380.

Holy Smokes,
thats cool.
Thanks Gavin,

Jeff(btd)

G
Gavin posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 2:12 PM

Melvins are currently touring, doing two nights of shows at each venue and playing Lysol, Egg Nog, and Houdini.
Next month they are stripping back down to a Trio, with Trevor Dunn on bass,
and playing July 11 at The Casbah (San Diego)
the 12th in Costa Mesa at the Detroit Bar and the 13th in SLO at the SLO Brewing Co.

Aug 27, 2011
Butthole Surfers AND Melvins
Sunset Junction Music Festival y Street Fair

Guess there will be no Melvins?

ABC News- Sunset Junction denied permit

Rolling Stone: Sunset Junction festival

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

Shirley Temple’s Daughter Used To Play Bass For The Melvins!?

Dangerous Minds: Shirley Temples Daughter

Pages: 1 30 replies