Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Bathroom

Pages: 1 29 replies

I

Hi gang,

I'm looking for some help. I'm doing a bathroom in tiki (of course) and am looking for a medicine cabinet that would fit the theme. Bamboo, Rattan, Koa wood etc... I'm coming up empty on ebay and the internet. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton!!

I don't know if this fits - the hideaway cocktail cabinet.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7737&forum=4

This bamboo tiki wall shelf could be just what the doctor ordered, from Tikifarm:
http://tikifarm.com/images/products/household/popup/barset.htm

Here's a suggestion. Buy a stock medicine cabinet and customize it yourself using some molding from Bosko (scroll down the page a bit)

http://www.tikibosko.com/tikibar.htm

That way, you can buy a cheap Home Depot style cabinet but frame it in using Tiki style trim.

[ Edited by: TikiTikiTavi on 2004-09-22 20:36 ]

At Linen's and Things they had a tall bamboo shelf that fits over the toilet. It wsa 129.00. It looks really cool, very tiki. I don't have a photo, but if you go into the bath section you will know it when you see it. If you are looking for tiki bathroom accessories Myriahs.com has a whole tiki set. Also Tikimaster on e-bay has the same set for less $. I hope that helps, because I am saving money to buy the same stuff.

Aaron

Some friends of mine after a trip to Hawaii, did thier lav in a tropical ocean theme.

Starting with a ocean floor painted a few inches abouve the floor...plantes were stenciled in...like kelp, then the blue water was painted...darker at the bottom, and each 6 inches or so it got lighter.

Then some fish were stenciled in and painted (this took the most time) They even included a floater...a dead fish...upsidown...not...well you know.

Initially doing it was nervy, but once started, it was beautiful. They now collect the odd bit to add to it...bathtub fish that match the ones painted, bowl of shells, tilet seat that's blue with bubbles.

It's a great effect.

Not exactly tiki, but oceanic, and not pricy to do...just time consuming.

A guy from hawaii I met had used Giant clam shells as sinks in his bathroom, they looked amazing. They are expensive though as they are protected and can only be bought 2nd hand but I think they may do them in cast resin as well

B

I'm Sure Bamboo Ben can whip you something up pretty quick that will fit exactly what you need.

I found a bamboo wall shelving unit that was medicine cabinet sized at TJ Maxx not too long ago. I think it was around $20 or $30,

I

WOW! Thanks everyone. Great idea's and places to shop this weekend. That Oceanic bathroom sounds amazing! Bamboo Ben's is just a hop, skip and a jump away from me. Maybe I'll check with them to see what they can come up with. Thanks again!!!

I found a bunch of tiki bathroom items at JC Penny Home Store and Linens and Things. The tiki wastebasket, bamboo shower curtain, tiki/hula girl shower curtain rod holders, tiki hut tissue holder, palm tree soap dish, hula girl soap dispenser and coconut tooth brush holder are from JC Penny Home Store. The artwork, the woody cottonball holder and the hula girl towels are from linens and things. (By the way, linens and things also had a line of bathroom items and hawaiian print bedding (Dean Miller) as well.)

[ Edited by: joefla70 on 2005-01-19 23:17 ]

Great job Joe!
What the hell is this?
I hope it's not your toilette plunger.
(If so, time to get a new one.)

It's obvious! Chewbacca in a hula skirt -- "Keep your eyes on the... Ha-a-a-a-a-n!"

M

It's Grover from Sesame Street!!!!

Target had a pretty decent set of cabinetry items that would fit very nicely in a tiki environment. I was very tempted by the medicine cabinet.

J

That's funny that you said it looked like chewbacca. I've always thought that too! Actually, this is coconut man. About 25 years ago when my family and I were out boating, when we came back to the marina I found the remnants of a broken coconut in the marina. I glued a couple rocks in it for eyes, and that was it. The mouth and hair are all naturally formed! He recently got a makeover with the hula skirt and lei. (He used to just have a ski-cap made out of an old tube sock and a cotton ball and a "coat" made out of an old fuzzy cover for a golf club. My friends have suggested that I make an outfit for coconut man for each month of the year and make a calendar (i.e. a halloween costome for October, a pilgrim outfit for November, Santa outfit for December, etc.) I guess for halloween he can just be chewbacca!

Wow, cool bathroom ideas! I'm working on my tiki bathroom now and it's kinda fun. What I'd like to know is, I want to put a sign in the hall pointing to the door that is the tiki lav, (to keep guests from entering the furnace room or coat closet) but what do you call a tiki bathroom?? The hula hole?? Paradise potty? Tahiti toilet?

My kids came up with "The Big Kahuna Head". Strange group, my family.

Any funny/clever ideas??

LavaLounger

T

The pi-pi room.

On 2006-07-31 17:00, tedtiki wrote:
The pi-pi room.

LOL.......this is the funniest out of the avalanche of suggestions I got.

Live, from LavaLounger's Lava Tory

Thanks for posting those pics of your bathroom joefla70, I am thinking about redoing my husband's bathroom and I have some great ideas now!

Here are some photos of my Enchanted Tiki Bathroom or Polynesian Potty House as I sometimes call it! Hope you all get a kick out of it! Still waiting for the Disney fountain to arrive!

I found some more photos of my bathroom.

5446 posted on Mon, Aug 18, 2008 12:19 PM

Here's a nice addition to any tiki bathroom....
I found this at Home Depot.

That faucet and handles look great!! Maybe I'll trade my existing set out someday soon! Love the bamboo look on the metal! Thanks for posting.

"Great Tiki bathrooms, all!"

Rodd

On 2008-08-18 12:19, 5446 wrote:
Here's a nice addition to any tiki bathroom....
I found this at Home Depot.

I just bought that set! I thought it would be perfect. I have this set on the bathroom counter:

from Go-Kat-Go

I also added this shower curtain: Dean Miller Tiki Town Shower Curtain

I need some help! I just received my Tiki room fountain and it came with no instructions! How does the motor attach inside and where does the small brown circular disc with 5 holes in it go? I assume over the fountain sprayers, but not positive. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Great job, Enchanted Tiki Guy!

Your "Polynesian Potty House" is positively... well, "enchanting"! (Do you serve pupu's there? Deeply sorry -- I just couldn't resist that!)

I really like all the kool tropical accents and choice of artifacts -- especially nice choice and variety of wall-masks (which I wouldn't mind a couple of myself!), and that nifty big fellow standing to the left of the sink! Also, your hand-crafted (I assume) perches, etc., really do the trick.

Nice blending of the Disney vibe with the more "authentic" elements.

(And, hey -- I recognize that lil' tiki bobble-head which I have one of in MY place! :lol:)

Would have been tempted to do something equivalent to that with my own loo -- were it not for having transformed my former bedroom into the "Paradise Cove Tiki Lounge". So now my bathroom has a New England fishing village motif. Still nautical, but less naughty!

Cheers! :drink: :tiki:

[ Edited by: KreepyTiki 2008-09-06 10:58 ]

Pages: 1 29 replies