Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I am going to throw up now! MY GOD THEY DEDICATED IT TO ME!!! I am bidding on it!

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=714280068

Ok, I dont say too much about peoples tribute to Shag, but this is not a tribute this is an insult! I like some of the so called tributes, but what the hell is this? It looks like two homosexual moais fixing to get it on under the bright sun! I will puke now. Sorry if I insulted anybody.

[ Edited by: kokomotikibar&grill on 2002-09-17 16:03 ]

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-09-23 09:32 ]

M

Wow, that's really bad, but I think the other one he's selling is worse:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=713495860

eek.

This quote in the description is priceless:
"This is a nice vintage retro piece, done in a unique style"

How, exactly, is this vintage or unique?

Is someone on tiki central listing this as a joke, or some kind of test?

You know, I'm looking to leave the realm of tiki consumer and enter the zone of tiki producer , but I swear, if I ever put something that derivative or lousy on ebay, y'all can come over and kick my ass.

Well, then again, does anyone like these things?

-martin

This is the seller who managed to get $36.51 for one of the green Tiki Farm Suffering Bastard shot glasses. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2135047693

He obviously has his finger on the pulse of what consumers want.

He may have his finger on the pulse, but his head is up somewhere else!

Puke on!

The first one should have "Puberty Love" (the haunting love theme from "Attack of The Killer Tomatoes") playing behind it. THEN, I'd puke.

.....where are my Alka Seltzers? :)

Ya know? Although I don't like the "Shag Tibute" catch-phrase thing, I have to admit that these weird 'pieces' are better looking than some of the other rip off pieces we've seen.

(We use the word pieces as in 'pieces of art'...or 'pieces of'...well, you know what I'm saying.)

It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, actually bids on these.

I don't think I have yet been repulsed to the point of hurling...but there is always tomorrow.

-C.

T

As for the two moais embracing, I think it gives a different (or dare I say "unique") definition to the phrase "Tiki Lover" and I'm just as shocked that the artist either had the nerve (or ability) to sign it!

I dont think I have ever laughed so hard reading anything in Tiki Central.

T

I think it should have been titled "HO-MOAI-SEXUAL LOVE". What a lost opportunity for a good pun.

Excellent title!

[ Edited by: kokomotikibar&grill on 2002-09-19 13:10 ]

M

Why are they homoaisexual? One is blue and one is pink! Is pink not the girl? Or is that sexist? Can't a moai be a girl? Is that sexist? My god, I can't believe I spend my time on this stuff! I have a party to prepare....

I would have to say that homo's could be pink. And if it is a girl, wheres the hooters?

T

On 2002-09-20 12:25, martiki6 wrote:

Why are they homoaisexual? One is blue and one is pink! Is pink not the girl? Or is that sexist? Can't a moai be a girl? Is that sexist?

You know I was thinking the same thing. I think the blue one is a boy and the pink one is a girl. So I'm not sure that calling them Ho-Moai-Sexual would be accurate. Funny as hell, but not accurate.

Now if you want to say the ENTIRE picture is the gayest looking picture you'd ever seen, I'd agree whole-heartedly (sp?)

I just cant stop laughing. Tikimug is killing me!

D

I know this is naive of me but how did they get the Tiki Farm off the bottom and the Trader Vic's stamp there instead? Really? People do counterfeiting with this stuff? :o

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-09-20 15:59 ]

On 2002-09-20 15:58, DawnTiki wrote:
I know this is naive of me but how did they get the Tiki Farm off the bottom and the Trader Vic's stamp there instead?

I assume you're referring to the suffering bastards. Actually, the shot glasses from Tiki Farm are stamped "Trader Vic's by Tiki Farm 2002." They are officially licensed products of Trader Vic's.

D

Sorry, I should have been more EXACT in posting my question. But, Yes, I was curious about the Suffering Bastard Shot Glass. I have seen them on the farms web site. I didn't relize that they put Trader Vic's stamp on them. I have a couple of the Tiki Farm mugs. I am pretty new to collecting Mugs, I have held off on buying any of the older ones out of fear of not knowing whats what. I have seen to many post here about people getting stung on Ebay, from being uninformed. I have learned so much from all of the posts here. This really is off topic, anyway - THANKS

Well here it is, a painting tribute for me! I am going to bid on this puppy now! Talk about driving down the prices! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=716945363
I was wondering if I bid on this and all proceeds are coming to me to feed my starving children, will I have to pay for it since the money is coming to me anyway. What do you think TikiMug?

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-09-23 09:43 ]

T

Now that is funny, and I think the same sex reference was addressed, too. See the pink one has hair like a girl and the blue one has a little goatee like a boy! See at least THEY aren't gay! :roll:

This has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen! You should be very proud Kokomo, having this "artwork" dedicated to you.

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2002-09-23 09:50 ]

I am pleased as punch! Rum Punch!

Damn! I have been outbid! Wait a minute, all proceeds go to me! Bid people! Bid!!!!

D

On 2002-09-17 16:32, martiki6 wrote:

Well, then again, does anyone like these things?
-martin

i'm gonna confess.. i rather like the second picture that was offered. its the pink beehive-ish hair. hm.. maybe the next version will have hooters and bigger hair. i'll wait for that one.

or maybe i'll just commission one to be done .. i'll help get nedyahr's kids thru college!

Thats not a second picture, thats the same one with hair. Thanks for helping send my kids to college. Hey, do yall think they will really let me have the money they make on it?

S

I thought for sure my .19 cents would hold. Oh well it's getting too rich for my blood.

MC

I like the tikis in love. How much is the shipping? can we send it courier pigeon to keep costs down? Pony express?

MC

Hey, you're in Queens. I'll just swing by from manhattan and pick it up. No shipping costs. If you say OK, I'm bidding $.27!

Hey! I just outbid you guys again! Remember proceeds go to my children! So if I win, I just give my kids the money and pay for the thing to be shipped to me. Actually I can be outbid! I have went to .49 on this baby. I am not going any higher!

D

On 2002-09-23 15:47, KokomoTikiBar&Grill wrote:
Thats not a second picture, thats the same one with hair.

ok. is it an inkjet print or an original.. what medium..? i'm gonna have to email the artist... it cant be the same one, the other one sold already.

dangit, everytime one of you TC's post here, i go look again. it's really growing on me.

thats it, im bidding.

R

Hey Kokomo -- I rather like the "1965 Pewter Tiki Mug / Bowl" you have up right now, only I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "glazed in pewter"? I presumed that pewter was a metal alloy, not a glaze. And what's "casted"? Is it like "cast", only somehow better? Just wondering.

I really would like to hear about the background of your recasts, it sounds like an interesting process. Do you cast them yourself, or does someone else do them for you? And can you tell us a little about Johnny Sens?

-- Robert

this is the funniest $&!t i've ever seen !! who's the genius behind all this? WoW. Tikijaksin

On 2002-09-23 20:04, rch427 wrote:
Hey Kokomo -- I rather like the "1965 Pewter Tiki Mug / Bowl" you have up right now, only I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "glazed in pewter"? I presumed that pewter was a metal alloy, not a glaze. And what's "casted"? Is it like "cast", only somehow better? Just wondering.

I really would like to hear about the background of your recasts, it sounds like an interesting process. Do you cast them yourself, or does someone else do them for you? And can you tell us a little about Johnny Sens?

-- Robert

The mug / bowl is made from the ceramic mold produced by duncan in the 1965. I do make these myself. The color is antique pewter. When fired it looks like it has a metallic finish like the Golden Bronze and the Smokey Silver. No metal alloys. Just a color that looks like metal. Same as Boskos Gun Metal Glaze he uses.

Now, about Johnny Sens. I do know a couple of things about the guy. I know he made several different tiki molds and have seen a couple of others on ebay before, i.e....Almans in Ocean Springs has been on 3 or 4 times. Now what I say is what I heard about the guy. He did all these Tiki Molds and supplied the bars along the Gulf Coast. He also sold his molds later. He was busted several times for producing copy cat molds of some Sears and Robuck Cookie Jars and etc... I hear he spent a couple of years in jail for his actions. Dont quote me on that it could be rumor.

T

On 2002-09-23 17:09, dogbytes wrote:

... it cant be the same one, the other one sold already.

As unbelievable as it may seem, there where NO bids on this piece of...hmm, artwork the first go-around. So, I think after reading the comments here the "artist" re-worked the picture to clarify some of our concerns and is generously donating the proceeds to our friend Kokomo's ever hungry kids.

Hey Kokomo I believe you should be able to collect since eBay is contractual (that's my $5 legal word). Now by my calculations, with the current bid at .51 you should get about .50 in proceeds after taking out for the sheet of paper and whatever it was painted with. Pretty cool!

I also just realized that my boy-girl scenario is incorrect, this picture is titled "Transvestite Tikis in Love" I feel like a knuckle-head for NOT picking up on that earlier. I just didn't notice the adams apple. So I guess the Ho-Moai-Sexual is correct.

I dont know how Shag feels about these tributes to him, but I am feeling pretty damn good about this one being a tribute to me!

I think we should try to influence more art auctions by posting in this board... if enough of us commented that we'd really like to see a portrait of Trader Vic in a negligee, it just might appear.

I think it's great what they did with this auction, it shows you guys can't talk behind peoples backs anymore. It's great they can make fun of you guys now. I think this is so funny, a smack right back in your guys face. :lol:
MaD-TiKi

No more TIKI 4 U!!!! :evil:

[ Edited by: MaD-TiKi on 2002-09-25 12:08 ]

I would not consider it a smack in the face. I consider this good fun. Obviously if we did not want anyone to know about our comments, we damn sure wouldnt say anything about the items in these posts. I think that the artist can sit back now and think about crap that they put up on ebay as a tribute to someone. I now feel like Mad-Tiki is the artist of this picture, or he/she is the one who posted it on ebay. I know one thing though, I am getting the proceeds to this baby and Mad-Tiki is not. Maybe I am feeling a little jealousy in the air! When was the last time some one dedicated anything, being something nice, or in this case, crap, to you Mad-Tiki? NEVER! (EvIL LaUGh now) HA HA HA HA HA

yeah it actually shows that some people can poke fun at 'themselfs'

thanks bigbad

M

Hey KokomoTikiBar&Grill how do you know no ones has ever dedicated anything to me, you don't. Yeah it's good fun to to make fun of people when they don't know they are being made fun of, your a real big man. This whole thing of making fun of people is crap, not all who sell on ebay knows about this site. So how would any of them know you guys are making fun of them, they don't. But if they did find out they would just think it's just some dumb fat guys with nothing else to do all day but sit behind there computers and make fun of people, huh so true. And no there is no jealousy in the air here, don't hold your breath on getting any proceeds. So yes (EvIl WiLl LaUgH Now) HA HA HA HA HA :lol:
MaD-TiKi :evil:

No more TIKI 4 U!!!!

[ Edited by: MaD-TiKi on 2002-09-25 14:50 ]

You must have a very short penis! Your so angry! Every post I have seen by you is some kind of ranting and raving about how your tired of all the fussing and being mean! BOO HOO HOO! I am really starting to feel bad for you! You are a sad case. Most everything in this post is about humor, other than your lack on intelligence to see that. Sad, Sad & did I mention Sad.

Oh, and by your signature picture, I can really tell now that you are the artist of that tribute painting. And look how SAD the Moai looks. Did I mention SAD!

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-09-25 15:07 ]

On 2002-09-25 12:07, MaD-TiKi wrote:
I think it's great what they did with this auction, it shows you guys can't talk behind peoples backs anymore.

Mad-Tiki,

When an artist posts a work on eBay, they are making that work public, thus opening themselves up for any criticism, praise, or good natured ribbing that anyone who views it may choose to express, in any forum they choose.

Tell me, when you discuss a movie that you don't like, do you make sure the writer, director, producer, editors, and actors are all present to respond to your criticisms?

Perhaps you should buy yourself a Tiki Squeezie and work off some of that anger!

:wink:

-Mike

Thank you Muggler!, but I still believe he has a short penis and is taking it out on the world!

T

I just changed my email delivery options so I will no longer be receiving the Collecting Tiki forum messages. I never heard such whining and bickering! If anyone has any useful information (like when the new full-size suffering bastard tiki farm repros are coming out) please post to the regular forum, not the Collecting Tiki forum. Thanks!

T

Aw crap, I thought MAd-TiKi had left the building! Here we go again...

yeah, who the hell died & made him hall moniter?

In defense of mad-tiki i feel that he voices what many of us may be thinking and i do appreciate that. Many of us avoid controversy at any cost and i am happy that someone is honest in how they feel, and not afraid to be disliked. I hope mad-tiki continues to post his opinions whether they are positive or not. Now back to my big mac and milkshake.....

Mad Tiki does not post any positive posts! Hence the name Mad Tiki!

Pages: 1 2 69 replies