Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

exotic gift

Pages: 1 14 replies

K

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000059RTZ/qid=1096406019/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/103-5177874-2807011?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

john zorn is a VERY SERIOUS composer in the Japanese market...his brain is 99% more open than all living things minds are...especially to ideas like noisebands ...but when he intentionally creates something commercial that he KNOWS you'll love...he remembers why he loves it too...this record is called "the gift" for a very very good reason...i daaare you to listen to the audio sample of the first track...it's BOOMING! you will love it for it's nature...exotic!

His 'Naked City' - Torture Garden album is a full-bore classic. Utterly insane from start to finish. What's odd that it doesn't surprise me that he could come out with an ablum of exotica like this. It was always in there somewhere.

Interesting album....I'll have to keep an eye out.

Trader Woody

huge john zorn fan here, naked city is the pinicle, gotta find this now!!!

I ordered it later on last night. Now please don't tell me to jump off a bridge!

Trader Woody

K

DUDE you are gonna be so stoked you ordered this CD...it is such a CRIPSY and clean CD...funny how such a seemingly spasmodic and chaotically inclined mind can snap his fingers and dupe some specific sound other than his signature style...i respect that a LOT!

let us know what you think when you recieve it!

B

This is amazing - to go from the 'Painkiller' style to this shows how much of a musician Zorn is.

This CD is on my must-have list next time i'm allowed out of the house.

i remember Naked City's "Grand Guignol" showing up to my college radio station and one of the guys on the music staff puking after he saw the cover (we had to put it in rotation with a review like that).

WARNING - this is a link to a pic of the "Grand Guignol" album cover. i wholeheartedly recommend you DO NOT click this link if you are a bit weak in the gut and/or eating.

http://www.omnology.com/zorn03.html#grand

John Zorn is a god among men, for sure. I really like "The Gift" and listen to it constantly. Beyond being a fantastic record, it really helps you get girls.

If that's what you're into....

Hey, great album! Thanks for the tip!!

After seeing the rest of the artwork, I assumed at some point on the album he was suddenly going to jump in with some insane racket, but he plays it straight throughout. Extremely well done, too. If it was called something like 'Zorn Tiki's Forbidden Hits', you'd get half of Tiki Central grooving to it.

Trader Woody

V
virani posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2004 2:05 PM

I love this album.
The nicest of Zorn's production. He makes some really nice sounds and some, well, really hard to listen to sounds...

K

i have to admit that there isn't a lot of john zorn that i love like i love this record...but i see it as a creative choice on his own taste's behalf...he'd rather play what he wants to hear...cool...i really dig his masada records too...small groups are the best!

T

Cool disk - I'm getting it as we speak.

GROSS-OUT ALERT! Don't read further if you don't want to discuss the grotesque Zorn album cover.

Isn't that a Joel-Peter Witkin photo? I saw a show of his at the Guggenheim a few years ago and it was like a car wreck: You just couldn't look away. He dresses up cadavers after they have been autopsied and puts them in familiar, cozy settings. They are usually b&w or sepia toned and there is no blood, so they have an old world quality to them. Very surreal to see an old lady, decked out in a Victorian dress, sitting in her rocking chair in a finely appointed room, with the top of her head missing. It's completely twisted and strange, and I wouldn't want a book full of it on my coffee table, but it was one of the most startlingly memorable shows I have ever seen.

L

I had NO idea this was out! Thank you. I've been a fan of Zorns & Pattons for years!

Mahaloz

S

I just got it in the mail and am loving it. Thanks, Kooche! Covers a lot of musical ground. A few surf exotica tunes, some noir ("Mao's Moon"), sci-fi ("Bridge To The Beyond"), not as avante garde as his usual outings. I would have passed this one up without your tip. From the albums I've heard, I wouldn't have expected this one. The booklet art sure isn't a clue. Any other exotica type tunes on his other albums worth knowing about?

K
kooche posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2004 4:05 PM

not that i know of but that doesn't mean that they don't exist...his discography is HUGE!

yeah i LOVE the art in the Gift's jewel case book...i don't know that guys's name but he is awesome!!!

listening to the friends of dean martinez right now...sooo mellow but sooo good...

I don't mean to gravedig this thread, but I just joined and did a search to see if this album had been discussed. "The Gift" is actually the record that got me into Exotica and Tiki music back in '01. I went on from that record to get a ton of Denny/Baxter/Lyman/etc. stuff and developed a deep interest in the history of exotica and tiki culture.

To answer another poster, the artist on "The Gift" is Trevor Brown. You can check out more of his work here - http://www.pileup.com/babyart/ (Not safe for work!). Very creepy but fascinating stuff.

Someone else was wondering what other Zorn stuff is along the lines of "The Gift." If anything, Zorn has a bunch of isolated tracks that are similar in tone but few full-lengths. Check out "Film Works 12," "IAO," and "Film Works VII."

Pages: 1 14 replies