Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Anyone want my car?

Pages: 1 28 replies

I am thinking about getting a new car, would anyone like my old one? She's been a wonderful companion through the years, but I admit that I have abused her a bit. She needs some TLC, and I just don't have the time to give it to her: she was rear-ended a couple of years ago, which never got fixed, and she was bumped into up in SF a few months ago, and now her trunk doesn't close (it's tied shut with rope at the moment). She also hasn't had a tune-up in more than a year, and almost certainly has things wrong with her, though she's been running reliably. She doesn't have AC, and her Washington plates are about to expire and she needs to be registered in CA. She would be a lovely, reliable car with a those few things fixed.

I don't have it in me to sell a car that I know isn't in great shape, and if I had time to fix her I'd keep her, so I think I'd like to just give her away to a loving home that will put some money into her and make her beautiful again. Anyone interested?

Here's her stats:

• 1995 Mazda Miata
  • Black w/black interior & top
  • Manual transmission
  • Driver & passenger air bags
  • Not exactly sure on the miles, but it's just over 88,888 (it turned over on my Hwy 99 road trip a couple of months ago)

She comes chock-full of tiki memories... she's been to two Tiki Oases, has a Bamboo Ben sticker lovingly applied by Ben himself, Tiki-Bot tied that rope around her trunk, she was the star of the Zombie Tasting at this year's Oasis (there are lots of pics of her in this album of the tasting), and she's been in countless tiki bar parking lots over the years. She's been wonderful, and has great potential.

Angeluau's car died a month ago and now we have to share the truck for the family of 6, I could come and get it and then she could have a good work car. Let me know H if no one else has contacted you.

P.S. I will even bring you tiki goodies as gifts. :)

Humuhumu

If you don't end up giving it to a fellow tikiphile, and want a romanic and sporty afterlife for it, there is a booming industry in formula M (Miata) racing.

I'm sure it would be given a lusty home to a beginning racer...maybe Speed Racer's long lost borther?

Just an option. I have a horrible problem giving feelings to my inanimate objects...hard for me to ever get rid of anything uless it's to the correct home.

T

What if I fed your secret addiction for cereal bowls for the rest of your life, or at least until you got sick of me sending you them.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-09-30 13:05 ]

W

Humuhumu wrote:

"...she was rear-ended a couple of years ago...she was bumped into up in SF a few months ago, and now her trunk doesn't close (it's tied shut with rope at the moment). She also hasn't had a tune-up in more than a year, and almost certainly has things wrong with her...She doesn't have AC, and her Washington plates are about to expire and she needs to be registered in CA..."

And is her name Lucky?

Though I have a hard time passing up free stuff (especially a car!) it sounds like Tiki-Toa is truly in need of such an opportunity. My vote goes to him. (Besides I can't drive a stick to save my life.)

D

ah the memories.. drizzley seattle..top down, heater on full blast.. humuhumu zipping around the roundabouts and finding the unmarked freeway onramp..

sweet car and driver..

elicia

H

I've got to emphasize that this car is not free. She's free from the standpoint that I am giving her away for free, but there will be costs associated with ownership of this car. She's been running well, but is definitely not up for any long trips until after she's been taken in for a check-up, and you can bet that there will be all sorts of things needed. In all those miles, she's has never had anything more major than a brake pad change, something major has got to be due. She was starting pretty rough this past winter (that's a Southern California winter, mind you--it wasn't cold) and then she evened back out a bit. Lately, her check engine light has been coming on every now and then, and her clutch feels a little soft.

I think it's a great deal for someone local who wants a little project or wants to put a bit of dough in her. I'm not comfortable with anyone flying out here, taking her sight-unseen, and then having to have who-knows-what work done on her before being able to drive her home.

Toa, if your wife would really like a Miata, I would suggest looking locally--they're surprisingly affordable cars, and they're extremely reliable--after all, mine is still running (for now, anyway) despite horrible neglect on my part. For what the airfare, hotel and gas money and repairs would cost to come out here and get her, you could probably just buy one.

Gigantalope -- that's a great suggestion! What a lovely way to put her out to pasture. If a local tikiphile can't take her, I may go that route.

woofmutt--her name is Pussycat. :)

L
laney posted on Thu, Sep 30, 2004 3:15 PM

Humu, that's so nice of you. But there are a lot of charities that you can donate your car to. You will get a nice tax deduction too.
I'm also at a point with my POS car where I need to fix several things or get a new car. Money's tight until next year unless I get some child support any time this year (yea right!)
Another option-Demolition Derby!
Good Luck!

On 2004-09-30 12:26, Humuhumu wrote:
so I think I'd like to just give her away to a loving home

This is why we love you Humu.

T

[i]On 2004-09-30 12:26, Humuhumu wrote:*
so I think I'd like to just give her away to a loving home

:( well once again geographically.....? Well I hope someone with our similar need but closer can benefit from this offer. Mahalo HH. Kelly and Angie :)

S

Not that it matters, but I've got a Miata and the things run forever. The older ones are especially popular now since they changed (ruined) the design around 2000.

Whoever gets it, check out the Miata version of Tiki Central - http://www.miata.net. Lots of psople with lots of info about repairs, fixes, spare parts, etc. They're great little fun cars.

Gigantalope...I think there's even a fiberglass kit to turn one into the Mach 1!

They are sorta the new bug.

http://www.motorsports-exchange.com/about_spec_miata.htm

is a site about the new racing circuit for them. I guess it's like a non-elitist way for regular folks go get into motorsports.

Her?
You might want to check under the rear bumper for those things that hang down and swing to the left and to the right.

Wao Nahele Kalepa Kumula'au Hale

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-09-30 19:03 ]

She doesn't have AC, and her Washington plates are about to expire and she needs to be registered in CA.

. . and she's been in countless tiki bar parking lots over the years. She's been wonderful, and has great potential.

No need for A/C in a convertible, just lower the top and drive fast.

The car has instant cache in all tiki bar parkig lots because of its storied past.

[i]On 2004-09-30 13:19, woofmutt wrote:

And is her name Lucky?

The mana is strong in that car, just like its driver.

H

JT, it's definitely a girl. She has a very tight (gear)box.

Chris--trust me, I need A/C. I literally almost died driving across the Mohave coming back from Vegas a few months back--and I know the proper usage of the word "literally."

Um.... I'll trade you a Smoky Mountains bear snowglobe for it!

Humuhumu's point made me wonder...just how many brushes with disasta we've all lived thru...cripes..a new topic spawned itself awredy.

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-09-30 21:40 ]

On 2004-09-30 16:20, spy-tiki wrote:
Whoever gets it, check out the Miata version of Tiki Central - http://www.miata.net. Lots of psople with lots of info about repairs, fixes, spare parts, etc. They're great little fun cars.

Humu, you should try contacting the Miata clubs in your area (they are listed at http://www.miata.net) -- there are plenty of enthusiasts who would love to have it.

OL

Hi Humuhumu,
Send Miata to Camp Krustiki! Rick likes working on cars, and he will have her tuned-up and purring again! Then she'll get a mini-makeover (paint and body work) and be reborn as the new Ookoomobile! I can picture her with a carved tiki gearshift knob, tapa print seat covers, exotica on the cd player, and of course a ukulele in the back seat. Don't forget the mini-bar in the trunk. I think we live close enough that we can tow her here if needed. I don't mind that there isn't an ac, because she won't be my daily driver, she'll just go out for fun times on the weekends and in the evenings. Send Miata to Camp Krustiki!

T

Given that the Mobile Exploration Lab's final road trip was to Hukilau this year (146,000+ miles and only now becoming dangerously unreliable), I can use a new set of wheels... but having driven Pussycat around Seattle a bit last year, all I can say is that cramming my six-and-a-half-foot frame into the driver's seat of a Miata was the closest I have ever come to autofellatiating myself.

I mean, it was fun and all, but...

Good luck finding her a worthy home.

We ought to retire Pussycat and the Lab together in some sort of ceremonial Tiki vehicle retirement ceremony.

You know, like the ones the ancient Marquesians held when their cars died.

I
iambe posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2004 1:05 PM

I am thinking about getting a new car, would anyone like my old one?

Hi-

Total stranger here. I heard about your offer from a friend who is active in the Tiki world (I have many friends who are, but I have not yet had the pleasure of attending a Tiki event).

IF you are unable to find a friend or friend of a friend, would you maybe consider a friend of a friend of a friend?

Here's my situation:
I am in So Cal, I really prefer driving a stick shift, my current car is running well (so I'd have something to drive while repairs are in progress), but 18 years old and my brother (who loves me very much) rebuilds cars as a hobby. I have A/C in my current car, but I don't use it so I wouldn't miss it.

And I think the Miata is sexy. When I look at your pictures of her, I have feelings I've never had for any "her" before. It's sort of, well, lust. I mean, nothing kinky... just...

You know.

Anyway, I'm going to be away until the beginning of November (but I will have computer access), so if you need it gone before that then I am not your woman.

Thanks!
Rena

[ Edited by: iambe on 2004-10-01 13:09 ]

H

I'm thrilled to say that Pussycat is going to go to our friend C.B. Howlie (of Cherry Capri and the Thurston Howlies). C.B.'s car has lived a long and productive life, but at 280K+ miles, it's apparently at the point where even his mechanic refuses to keep working on it. C.B.'s excited to take on Pussycat, and I'm so glad I'll still get to see her around. I'm going to miss her terribly, and it'll make me very happy to see someone bring her back to her proper glory. With someone who's able to give her better attention than I can, I'm hopeful she'll be able to reach 280K+ miles someday, too.

I bought my new (to me) car yesterday morning, with the help of Floratina & C.B., who drove me all the way down to Murrieta (nearly a 2hr drive) to pick her up. She's a 1997 Mazda Miata, black. I'd post pictures, but they'd look almost exactly like the ones above. She's a beaut, and she's got California plates and A/C. Hurrah!

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-10-04 15:20 ]

On 2004-10-04 15:20, Humuhumu wrote:
I'd post pictures, but they'd look almost exactly like the ones above.

Except for the trunk. :D

T

Humux2 - next time you're up this way (the 29th, right?) I can tie a commemoritive rope on the trunk for you. It'll be just like old times. :wink:

T

Congratualations to Humuhumu...........on her new car and a camera!

oh - i am glad to hear that. after his drums got stolen out of his car - because the side door was smashed from a car accident and they broke through that - i figured he needed a change of luck!

I can't wait to hear what the name of your new car will be and will we see her tonight at the tiki ti then!?!

Pages: 1 28 replies