Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Mai Tai - Full on formula

Pages: 1 6 replies

I bought the latest edition of the 'Sauce Guide to Cocktails' (Vol 4) recently and it contains this recipe for a Mai Tai that might be of interest to those that have only a short time to get a Tiki buzz...

1 shot Pusser's Navy Rum
0.5 shot Myer's rum
0.5 shot orange curacao
0.5 shot Bols apricot brandy liqueur
0.75 shots lime juice (freshly squeezed of course)
1 shot orgeat
1.5 shots pineapple juice
0.5 shots orange juice
6 dashes Angostura bitters
0.5 shot Woods 100 overproof Navy Rum

Shake first 9 ingrediens with ice and strain into Old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Float overproof Navy rum on drink and garnish with mint sprig & lime wedge.

http://www.sauceguide.com/

Trader Woody

M

DAMN TW... That'll put some hair on your chest. I'm afraid I'm going to have to try that this weekend. The shot that is - I gave up on the growing hair thing.

I had to look it up myself, in case anyone else was wondering... A shot is technically defined as 1.5 oz.

On 2004-10-06 14:46, MachTiki wrote:
I had to look it up myself, in case anyone else was wondering... A shot is technically defined as 1.5 oz.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that a shot in the Sauce guide is defined as being 1 oz (US). Saying that, I guess if you went by the 1.5 oz measure, you'd just end up with a bigger, rather than stronger drink (though slightly lacking in Angostura bitters). And it wouldn't fit in the glass mentioned. Etc...

As it says in the guide, "whatever the measure you use as a shot, be sure to use the same measure for all ingredients so that the the proportions of one ingredient to another remain as the recipe intended'.

Trader Woody

M

1 oz seems alot... uh, wiser. Thanks for pointing out the proper measurement TW.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2004 9:11 PM

I made one and am drinking it now...

I subsituted Sailor Jerry's (92 proof) rum for the Woods 100 overproof Navy Rum floater since I don't have the Woods. Very damn tasty drink!

I might consider cutting the orgeat to .5oz or .75oz though as it is VERY much the dominant flavor. (A caveat: I usually use Trader Vic's orgeat syrup, tonight I cracked open Torlani orgeat for the first time since my TVs is getting very low, so that may have made a difference)

I like it so much I think I'm going to have another! Thanks for the recipe.

On 2004-10-09 21:11, Kono wrote:

I like it so much I think I'm going to have another! Thanks for the recipe.

Great to see the recipe put into practice! How did you feel after the second?

I'm sure Sailor Jerry's would make a fine substitute for Woods. Is Woods difficult to get hold of in the US? It's very common over here (being British) but it doesn't stop it from being expensive due to our excessive booze-tax laws.

Trader Woody

K
Kono posted on Mon, Oct 11, 2004 5:43 PM

On 2004-10-11 10:11, Trader Woody wrote:
Great to see the recipe put into practice! How did you feel after the second?

Ah, fine. I've got the tolerance of a bull moose. Which is kiddie league compared to the leviathan tolerance of...say a Cybertiki, or the Brobdingnagian tolerance of...say a Pablus. Demi-gods of imbibement, the both of them.

Honestly, I'm not familiar with Woods. So I don't know if it's common or hard to find. I'll keep an eye out for it in the future.

Great drink. Highly recommended!

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-10-12 03:56 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies