Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My latest carving attempts, Tell me what you think!

Pages: 1 6 replies

Aloha everyone!

I am back, and just wanted to let you guys know what I have been up to. Last I updated everyone I had started to finish my first palm stump tiki. He is #9 and is guarding my fishpond.

I got into smaller things. With Benzart doing those unbelievable masks, I decided to mess with smaller projects for awhile. (not to mention lifting those palm logs through my back out).

Here a a few of the small tiki's that I have done. I have no where near the detail Benzart does, but I like the small undescript look.
These are a few of the later ones:

These started when the neighborhood kids all wanted me to carve them something. I carved these faces with a dremel tool and a carbide bit.

Then, with those finished, I got the bug to go big again. I laid the 4' palm log down and started. This time I used the chainsaw to remove the bark in the area that I wanted to work with. I do have to say that I will never remove bark another way! Man was that easier. I then started cheating and using an angle grinder with a sandpaper disc setup. I removed most of the wood with chisles and did the "finishing" with the angle grinder. He isnt' done yet, but I think he is coming along well..

You guys have been a huge inspiration, and you might see that in some of my work. I appreciate any and all thoughts about the work, even suggestions to make it better.

Aloha,
The Newbe

[ Edited by: tikinewbe on 2004-10-12 14:31 ]

D

Tikinewbe,those are terrific!I especially love the last one with the pineapple in his mouth-VERY distinctive!Keep up the good work.

Looking good, pretty soon you will have to lose the newbie name. I dont think using power tools is cheating, look at it as time managment. Keep posting progress

tikinewbe,
I love the highly polished finish of those little Moais! Those palms are awsome too! Do you have plans to sell your work on ebay?

T

About using current technology, remember even the ancient Hawaiians left the stone tools behind when iron tools became available around 1800.
tikiboy

Nice carvings.

Hard to believe those carvings are among your first. Great work!

Pages: 1 6 replies