Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

wild idea: Trader Vic car decal?

Pages: 1 36 replies

I saw a typical obnoxious Raiders car decal on a tinted rear window - like this design:

http://store.yahoo.com/oaklandraiders/605501060000.html

and for a second I thought (or wanted to see) a Trader Vic's design: - like this:

http://www.tikifarm.com/html/discountTiki.htm

I was so disappointed it was a Raiders decal. it's the whole black and white face with the crossed spears/swords thing - pirate-like.

And then I thought - hey maybe one of the TC artists can put out a trader vics decal so I can "represent" on MY tinted back window!

just a wild thought.

you wish is my command... I'll have it cleaned up by the end of the hour. I'll PM you.

M

Go, UJ...Go!

I have a sticker with the phrase "Hawaiian Style" with a Ku tiki, sort of like this: http://home1.gte.net/acr10nl7/041.htm

(PS: Don't let any members of the RaiderNation read your post)

Dangergirl: Those Raiders stickers have been mocking me too! I always think it's a Trader Vic's "shield", and it's so disappointing to find out it's not, then I wonder if I'm having a "tiki fever" day. Dare to dream!

is this the logo you wish?

I have it ready vectored.
PM me your address and I will give you instructions on how to get them made (of course with out the blue box). If you need any changes to it, I can do that.
Sorry I no can longer can get them made at this moment.

Or you can get Unkle VIC

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-10-13 22:57 ]

http://www.Stickerguy.com is really cheap. E-mail them the vector image, and they will print them on good quality Vyn.

I just had 250 of them made and Express mailed to me today for 34.00 (B+W)

MG

If anyone needs stickers, why not keep it in the family? I've been wanting to do stickers for people on TC. I'd be happy to give you guys the family discount. If anyone needs stickers for their business maybe we can do a gang run for everyone. Here's a link to my screen printing page with a list of some of my customers that I've done work for. Call or email for more info. We'll also have a booth at Mondo-Lounge this Saturday. Hope to see some of you there.

http://www.fallingcocos.com/cuscpr.html

If you order from Sticker Guy, they will be on white vinyl and cut square, which doesn't look very good on a window. They will do them on clear but it's considered a custom sheet and there minimums are much larger.

If anyone tries to contact me today, I'll be on the road delivering jobs in Huntington Beach and at Bosko's tonight. I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks, Gene

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-10-14 08:24 ]

you guys rOCK!

I love the one with the pipe - very Church of Subgenius!

I'm lazy though - can't one of you tiki sellers/entrpreneur types be in charge of having them done up and then I can simply buy some online?

also, will there be concerns of trader vic's suing the maker for trademark infringement?

I was thinking whomever is currently selling official TV merchandise can propose the idea to the TV folks, so it's all legal and stuff - though that will take longer.

my free legal advice, anyway.

well.... the way i se it (which could or coud not be legal) as long as we aren't selling the image for a profit, then it should be fine. But hen again it's been 6-7 years since I've taken a copywrite class.

Oh yeah, the "Unkle Vic" should be grounds for legality since it has been modified. I think.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-10-14 11:18 ]

On 2004-10-13 22:55, Unkle John wrote:
Or you can get Unkle VIC

Any of you Clevelanders remember the radio DJ Uncle Vic from the 70s? I still have the 7" single he had pressed of his song about Space Invaders...

BTW, sign me up for some TVs stickers!

On 2004-10-14 11:41, tikibars wrote:

I still have the 7" single he had pressed of his song about Space Invaders...

"he's hooked he's hooked his brain is cooked?"

p.s. i'll buy a decal too...

On 2004-10-13 20:00, dangergirl299 wrote:
I saw a typical obnoxious Raiders car decal on a tinted rear window - like this design:

http://store.yahoo.com/oaklandraiders/605501060000.html

and for a second I thought (or wanted to see) a Trader Vic's design: - like this:

http://www.tikifarm.com/html/discountTiki.htm

I was so disappointed it was a Raiders decal. it's the whole black and white face with the crossed spears/swords thing - pirate-like.

And then I thought - hey maybe one of the TC artists can put out a trader vics decal so I can "represent" on MY tinted back window!

just a wild thought.

WOW, that is too funny. About six months ago I thought the same thing. Back then I was wondering if the logo could be tweaked a little to make a spoof of the Roiders one.

I was thinking that image would be great done huge on the hood of some '70s fine ride, like a Maverick or a Matador...Then on the car door, find those images of the zodiac sex positions...with the Giant afros. Maybe get a Tee-shirt that sez "Bikini Inspector", or "Classy Lady" and a Shaft chain vest to make it all work...

You know vests made of snow tire accoutrements have a slimming effect.

I just need a perm like Bernie from Room 222, and I'm set!

This is so Boss!

On 2004-10-14 12:54, mrsmiley wrote:
WOW, that is too funny. About six months ago I thought the same thing. Back then I was wondering if the logo could be tweaked a little to make a spoof of the Roiders one.

Great minds think alike.

ANd so do ours!

On 2004-10-13 22:55, Unkle John wrote:

...Or you can get Unkle VIC

You've won me over Uncle John! That's great! How 'bout "Trader Bob"?!
-FB

...BTW: I'm sure the Trader Vic's people would love the exposure. Why not get them involved?

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-10-14 15:53 ]

The raider decals you see on car windows arent really "stickers." Printing is not used. They are made from cut vinyl and are considered decals. They are not die cut either, they are usually made with a plotter that cuts rolls of vinyl. I have a plotter and have made many a tiki decal. I like the Trader Vic idea, Though, I am
not sure if it is copyright infringement to make them whether selling them or not.
I would be willing to make them, but not at the risk of legal hassles.
Does anybody know the scoop on the copyright laws for sure?
Wasn't that logo recreated by Shag for use on the Trader Vic mugs made by Tiki Farm.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-10-14 16:28 ]

[i]On 2004-10-14 16:25, Chongolio wrote:

I like the Trader Vic idea, Though, I am
not sure if it is copyright infringement to make them whether selling them or not.

This is side stepping the primary question, but I always wondered: aren't businesses which only have email addresses and no actual location defacto immune from liability because there is no way to serve them with a Summons & Complaint to get them under Court jurisdiction?

On 2004-10-14 18:41, christiki295 wrote:

[i]On 2004-10-14 16:25, Chongolio wrote:

I like the Trader Vic idea, Though, I am

This is side stepping the primary question, but I always wondered: aren't businesses which only have email addresses and no actual location defacto immune from liability because there is no way to serve them with a Summons & Complaint to get them under Court jurisdiction?

I wrote a brief on a similar issue. The legal logistics are that if you buy or sell in CA, you can sue or be sued in CA (and something like 75% of the world's commerce has some portion of a transaction occurring in CA, so it's an easy standard). The practical logistics are that yes, it is hard to sue someone whose physical address cannot be found - but most businesses who want to do business in a specific state have to register with the Secretary of State and specifically name an in-state address where they can be served with legal documents. I remember there was a case recently about some online gaming site that operated out of some far-away island and the court totally reamed the business's attempt to not be sued due to the inability to physically serve with papers.

if you've screwed up, you will be sued and they will find you. hell hath no fury like a Plaintiff's Attorney!

ugh.

you want more? I can give you more.

M

Now that we have a lawyers view, I think that the chances of Trader Vic's wanting to sue someone who made, maybe 200 decals for the people who belong in a Tiki Club are probably fairly slim. They other fact then is, does one not really care if they do infringe on someones copywrite for a (in my opinion) fairly small, one time event.

On 2004-10-14 18:55, mrsmiley wrote:
Now that we have a lawyers view, I think that the chances of Trader Vic's wanting to sue someone who made, maybe 200 decals for the people who belong in a Tiki Club are probably fairly slim. They other fact then is, does one not really care if they do infringe on someones copywrite for a (in my opinion) fairly small, one time event.

I don't know how litigious Trader Vics is. And it seems that they have allowed other TC vendors to create and sell stuff bearing the TV image, so I figured it would be okay.

Now I know that Intel has a whole team of people hired to simply watch media and other software companies for trademark and copyright infringements. once a company allows another to use their trademark without saying anything, it "waters down" the solidness of the trademark, which could defeat a later claim. Intel would do interesting stuff like find a smaller company who was essentially marketing Intel's code, and then say, Godfather-like, you're using our stuff, but we're not going to sue you. Instead, you "owe" us one. And then, later, if that company created something original Intel wanted to use, it would "call in" the favor.

Sneaky...

Certain Corporations have litigated competition out of business. The Parent Company of Samuel Adams has closed cause small breweries to go broke because they use the words Boston and Brewery in thier company name.

If a big company thinks you've gone too far with steeling logos, they will force you under unless you can afford to play the game, or it's a waste of thier time.

ASCAP makes it a point to drag a Mom and Pop restaurant under the bus every few months to make other business owners who have TVs and Juke Boxes pay thier quarterly fees to them.

The rule of thumb I was taught when using one design for something else is changing it 15%...Who the hell can guess what % is what is a joke.

There have been some funny cases where these points have come up in court..."The Flying Toaster" case was my favorite.

The Key to not getting in trouble is not to hurt the image of the company, and not to make any money doing it.

I think Trader Vic's stole the image from an episode of Johnny Quest.

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-10-14 19:50 ]

J

Legaleeze aside - how can I get one Gigantalope? :)

Worst case scenario is this: a car window TV decal (not sticker - thanks for clearing that up Chongolio!) is proudly displayed in my rearview window. I get pulled over near Emeryville after a copywrite lawyer calls highway patrol. I am cited for unlicensed vehicular advertising infringement (meaning my car is over 10 years old and vaguely dusty, and no sunroof. "What were you thinking?!") In court, my testimony includes tearful, yet enthusiastic descriptions of Trader Vic's menu and drink creations as I sip my mai-tai on the witness stand. I'm hoping dangergirl299 is a defense attorney, and not up on the same charges.
The judge dismisses the case and I get out with a warning to remove the "I brake like a little girl" decal off my bumper. That evening, everyone from court is in Trader Vic's, and the valets are selling the decals.

OK, seriously, despite the risks, I still want a decal, and I actually don't have the "I brake like a little girl" bumper sticker. Saw that on a car that also sported one that read, "Do you know the difference between art and soup?" Berkeley, naturally. Love it that city!

Unkle John, I'll send you a PM.

Git one...make em...hail satan!
Legal crap is just to scare sucessful people.

If nobody has the vector image, I will make one next week, and send it to who-ever wants to post it to the printer.

Once you start making stickers, it's intoxicating...

I still see the "Leaglaize Canibalism" stickers I made in the 80s around...warms my heart.

I always thought it would be great to mix the themes of groups who hate each other...The Raiders Logo or Dale Ernharts racing redneck number by a gay pride logo, or "Clitorectomized and loving it"...maybe place in the windows of parked trucks in Berkeley...

nothin' like shaking the tree.

Let me know if you need a vector image of the logo.

Gigantalope, those are great stickers! In response to all of the "Student of the Month" bumper stickers, here's one you might enjoy. I published this in the mid 90's and occasionally still see 'em on the road.

For you out of state people, the California Youth Authority is the California "prison" system for juveniles.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-10-15 10:11 ]

If We do make such a thing as this image...I vote for the one with the pipe.

I like the idea of merging the Raiders logo with the Trader Vic one - Raider Vic! Put a pirate eye patch on the thing and change the spears to swords and voila! maybe add the pipe too...

heavy drinking is certainly something fans of each share in common. hic!

On a related note, I think that having a bumper sticker on my car that reads "Will Litigate for Mai-Tais" is apropos.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 on 2004-10-15 11:49 ]

I'm Sticker shocked!

It sounds like you guys are in the gray areas of the law and I want a piece of the action. I like the pipe one. I think this image concept originally came off of the Flag of Kenya, two spears and a shield. Since it is a National image it is free for all to use.

On 2004-10-15 10:58, dangergirl299 wrote:
I like the idea of merging the Raiders logo with the Trader Vic one - Raider Vic! Put a pirate eye patch on the thing and change the spears to swords and voila! maybe add the pipe too...

I've gotta say something here with all due respect to dangergirl299 I love the idea of the TV sticker and I plan to buy one if they are produced. But, I'm not sure it's a good idea to merge him with the Raider logo. I think it might be limiting the appeal from those of us who... um... well... Don't like the Raiders or don't wish to represent them in any way.

Just my two-cents.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-10-15 12:04 ]

I think the Raider's imagery is so gone from it that no one will know it was the inspiration. I'm on the East Coast and it doesn't remind me of the NFL at all. And thank goodness!

We could do a slack series of these images.
Certainly we would include NFLvis. (printed on velvet (or velveeta?)

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:52 ]

Chongolio is correct about the plotter aspect. I have worked with them in the sign industry for 10 years now. I have the image vetored if anyone wants it. Just email me and put "Trader Vic Logo" in the subject line. I have it set up for printing on a Gerber Edge. The edge can print the design onto vinyl and die cut it (which it's set up for that. In your reply email I will explain how to get it done. Basically it will look like the image WITHOUT the blue field. If you want it just white it can be modified by myself or your local sign shop.
The image can also be die cut onto a static-cling vinyl (which can be used over and over if you decide to move it).
If there is a member besides Chongolio who has the ability to cut them, you are more than welcome. But if you have an idea of how small the logo will be, it's a bitch to weed.

[email protected]

When I was thinking about this myself a few months back, I was thinking of term "The Oakland Traders" with the combined imagery because I am an Oakland resident and Oakland is where Trader Vics started

On 2004-10-18 12:28, mrsmiley wrote:
When I was thinking about this myself a few months back, I was thinking of term "The Oakland Traders" with the combined imagery because I am an Oakland resident and Oakland is where Trader Vics started

Well I am no football enthusiast, but I do know a little something about pigskin.
With all the movin' round the Raiders have done betwixt cities, The Oakland Traitors may be a more appropriate name. :lol:

Hey Uncle John, please zap send me your vector file if you dont mind. I would like to have a look at it.
I am not familiar with a "gerber edge." Sounds interesting though. I have a roland plotter CX-24, A simple 24' plotter. I have been cutting vinyl on it for over two years and have had no trouble with it whatsoever. Although, the sign cutting software it came with is buggy.

Chongolio

[i]On 2004-10-19 18:41, Chongolio wrote:

Well I am no football enthusiast, but I do know a little something about pigskin.
With all the movin' round the Raiders have done betwixt cities, The Oakland Traitors may be a more appropriate name. :lol:

Another pigskin perspective:

The California Raiders.

No Cal, So Cal and even non-Charger fans in San Diego all show the love for the Silver & Black.

Pages: 1 36 replies