Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Best Ever?

Pages: 1 8 replies

We've all visited strange spots...maybe via long hours or travel, maybe by breaking and entering.

Most often we toast our long road and quaf a rewarding bevvy...and thus we often will have a companion tinkle story with our "travelogue"

What's yours? Ayres Rock? Grand Canyon? Sleeping Neighbor? Heater at the Police Station? Fireplace of the Haunted Mansion?

Also consider some great spots to go...The Madonna Inn for example, or The Queens Theatre in London has urinals so huge and on platforms, you feel like a Capt Kirk. Bridgeport brewery in Portland has similar facilities, but in a more industrial setting.

On 2004-10-15 09:08, Gigantalope wrote:
What's yours? Ayres Rock? Grand Canyon? Sleeping Neighbor? Heater at the Police Station? Fireplace of the Haunted Mansion?

Also consider some great spots to go...The Madonna Inn for example, or The Queens Theatre in London has urinals so huge and on platforms, you feel like a Capt Kirk.

I've dined at Club 33 -- I'm sure there are some other people here who have been there.

Last year I got to tour the basement at the Baseball Hall of Fame. The head of their research library showed us the Dodgers logbooks where Jackie Robinson's statistics were first written down, scrapbooks that once belonged to Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, and Yogi Berra's first minor-league contract.

The library (open by appointment only) was filled with boxes of original documents waiting to be catalogued. As we passed one stack of about 10-15 boxes, our guide pointed it out and mentioned that this was the Pete Rose investigation.

Spot to go: the Getty Center in Los Angeles has the thickest, softest toilet paper I've ever encountered in a public restroom. :D

Hall of fame!

Most impressive.

At most older stadiums they still have the big big troughs in the men's rooms...I love tossing a quarter in them early in the game.

They are always gone by the 7th.

I've been all over the world and the most sublime and heavenly spot I've ever been to is a wild and isolated little desert canyon in the Anza Borrego State Park (about an hour from San Diego).

It is called "Indian Canyon." Its location is pretty much known only to the local desert rats. A rocky little "jeep trail" will take you to any number of wonderful camping spots. No hiking required.

My friends and I camp there often. By "camp" I mean bring a sleeping bag to crawl into after several hours of drinking/dining/whatever.

Hills of desert boulders. Eerie tendrils of desert shrub. Mountain lion tracks, hooting of owls, silhouettes of coyotes trotting along a ridge line, gone before you have time to really look. Excellent sound system belting out Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" as the first stars come out. Friends gathered around a roaring fire, drinking good booze, laughing at good jokes, cooking delicious snacks. At the rear of the huge boulder where we camp are little bowls carved into the rock by long-gone Indians, used for grinding something.

When I die, I hope the parties in heaven will be half as nice as this.

I have camped out quite a bit in the So Cal Deserts...you've captured so much in your sumation...

I always fight sleep as long as I can watching the night sky, telling jokes and laughing.

One thing I can never get use to is how quickly after dark it can get cold in a desert.

T

Exploring the abandoned train station in Detroit is a good urban adventure. A little dangerous, but a lot cool:

D

Sixteen years ago,I spent time in Israel and Egypt.Prettiest place I've ever been was a place called Dahab in the Sinai pennisula on the Red Sea.At the time,it was barely a group of small huts and restaurants-all open air.My friend and I went to this little restaurant and saw that fresh fish was the special.We ordered the fish,and then proceeded to watch a little Bedouin boy dive into the water and catch the fish!After forever,the fish was served,and it was the best fish I've ever eaten.As far as toilet facilities went,it was a hole in the ground with concrete treads on either side.Needless to say,you had to aim carefully.To get to Dahab,you have to go through Eilat,and then through Taba,the place that was just bombed.That was a real shame.

Docwoods and Tikifish, those are some pretty DAMN cool adventures.

strange in that they start off with nothing in common and both end up in rubble.

Nothing like pee'n in a place that makes you feel good about your own tidy home.

Funny about a place which is destroyed after we've been there and liked it. Most of our dreams have a thread of hope that we can return to a place...it's a cold slap when another action makes that not possible...ever.

Rubble.

RB

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Wife, kids and I were lucky enough to visit a couple years ago at this time, when a short walk from the End of the Road brought you right to where lava was flowing out of the ground. Amazing to see new Earth being created a few feet in front of you.

Pages: 1 8 replies