Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

hukilau 2005 - decided!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

b. Mai Kai

I vote for A. Since I live in Florida I never get to take a 'real' vacation. Mr Voodoo likes to stay here and stimulate the local economy. I've never been to Chicago and it sounds like fun. If it is decided to have it here in Florida can we please have it in mid to late October. The weather is so beautiful then and less chance of a hurricane. I agree Pablus about probably never having another one like Jeanne, but forecasters are predicating that the next 8 years will be very hurricane heavy. I felt bad for all the folks who came in from around the country and didn't get to really enjoy all that Florida has to offer. I felt bad for me....my first trip to Lauderdale and had to hightail it home to shutter up.

I vote for A. Since I live in Florida I never get to take a 'real' vacation. Mr Voodoo likes to stay here and stimulate the local economy. I've never been to Chicago and it sounds like fun. If it is decided to have it here in Florida can we please have it in mid to late October. The weather is so beautiful then and less chance of a hurricane. I agree Pablus about probably never having another one like Jeanne, but forecasters are predicating that the next 8 years will be very hurricane heavy. I felt bad for all the folks who came in from around the country and didn't get to really enjoy all that Florida has to offer. I felt bad for me....my first trip to Lauderdale and had to hightail it home to shutter up.

We'd prefer Florida but are more likely to afford to go to Chicago. We'd probably drive surviving stretches of old Rt66 and shoot pics along the way.

E

a. Have it in Chicago, where the author of "Tiki Road trip" lives, where the author of "TikiQuest" lives, where the artist EsQui lives (shameless plug), where we have the famous Hali kahiki tiki bar, Trader Vic's, no hurricanes but still a massive body of water. On behalf of Mayor Daley I unofficially welcome Hukilau 2005 to Chicago.

EsQui
http://www.waitingchairgallery.com

I'm voting for Florida simply for the reason that we were to travel there next year to visit Tikibelle's relatives and combine Hukilau into one trip. If Chicago....? I'll probably have to miss it again.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-10-19 22:12 ]

Lets keep the Hukilau at the Mai-Kai & Ft. Lauderdale! (OK, i'm biased because I live in Florida & it's my favorite place in the world)... but,... We have had such a great time there, it is such an amazing place & if it takes place in the early part of Summer or in early November we are more likely to avoid hurricanes. Chicago will be amazing as well but they already have Exotica, just like Palm Springs has Tiki Oasis, and Vegas has VLV.... so on & so on... Its just extra special to have the Hukilau at the MECCA of all Tiki places... Everyone at the Mai Kai is sooo accomedating, the decor is amazing, the food is great, 2 for 1 happy hour of the yummiest drinks, and the history of it.... Why mess with perfection.... FLORIDA! FLORIDA! FLORIDA!

T

A) 2005 Hukilau in Chicago, 2006 in Ft. Lauderdale.

A Hukilau without a Mai Kai? No beaches or freshly tanned skin? I don't really consider Chicago a laid back atmosphere. Busy, noisy streets without any palm trees doesn't sound too romantic.
I vote B. Keep it at the Mai Kai. Especially since the hurricane set things back a bit we might feel that we owe the Mai Kai another chance to keep it going strong.

I didn't really think it was my place to vote on this since we're probably not going to be able to make it next year.(West Coast Tiki Road Trip 2005!)

However, if Hukilau 2005 is held in Chicago we are more likely to go.

Personally, I'd like to see it remain in Ft. Lauderdale, but an excuse to check out Chicago and all it's cool tiki people and places is something I'd probably jump at.

My vote is Hukilau 2005 Chicago, Hukilau 2006 Ft. Lauderdale.

I vote for the Mai-Kai of course.

As someone else pointed out, Hukilau just wouldn't be Hukilau without the Mai-Kai. It really is that one place where lonely pilgrims on the road to Tiki Consciousness can come together with like-minded individuals, and celebrate both the past and present of Tiki. The place is special - as all of us who have been there well know. To the lucky few who braved ths storm this year and had the great privilege of watching Pualani Avon on stage doing 'Lovely Hula Hands' for her son, you will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

In an archaeological reference that we can all appreciate, the character Rene Belloq in 'Raiders of the Lost Arc' said: "All your life has been spent in pursuit of archeological relics. Inside the Ark are treasures beyond your wildest aspirations. You want to see it opened as well as I. Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This, this is history."

To be a living part of that history is special. This is why I think that Hukilau should remain at the Mai-Kai.

Cheers!

Hey, just curious. When do we find out about the Hukilau's location for next year. Do you want to wait for more posts on this topic? It seems that there hasn't been too many to make a decision yet. Just wondering.

I vote for Ft. Lauderdale. I lived in Chicago for a few years and loved it but, outside of TV, there is not much tiki. SUre there's a beach, but no palm trees.

T

*On 2004-10-25 14:28, Urban Tiki wrote:*I lived in Chicago for a few years and loved it but, outside of TV, there is not much tiki. SUre there's a beach, but no palm trees.

Not trying to influence this discussion one way or the other, but there is a LOT of Tiki in Chciago, Urban (or, at least in the suburbs) other than Trader Vics!

Hala Kahiki, Chef Shangri-La, the occasional Kona Kai event, the Tong's Tiki Hut chain, retail stores like Barefoot Hawaiian, and lesser, semi-Tiki locations like Club Paradise and Bamboo Room in Schaumburg.

H

Hala Kahiki alone is worth the trip to Chicago. Throw in all the other great tiki hot spots there, and the Oceanic Art at the Field Museum, and it's a slam-dunk.

It's true that there's no beating the Mai Kai, but there are plenty of other great tiki locales that are wonderful slices of history, and every effort should be made to give them some attention, too.

The argument that the Hukilau isn't the Hukilau if it isn't at the Mai Kai just doesn't hold water. Hukilau began in Atlanta, not Ft. Lauderdale, and Swanky & Tiki Kiliki have long envisioned it as an event that would roam around from year to year.

Chicago is also a more affordable and convienient trip for a lot of folks... the majority of people for whom Hukilau would be easier in Ft. Lauderdale already live in Florida, and jeez, you guys get the Mai Kai all year round. You can't be greedy, ya gotta spread the tiki around a bit!

I don't care where the location of the Hukilau is. All I know is "I WILL BE THERE WITH BELLS ON". And another thing "THE SOONER THE BETTER". YAY!!!!
Later,
Spermy

T

Vote: a. Chicago 2005 w/2006 back at Mai Kai

The wife is from Millwaukee, so we can visit her folks and have them watch the kids during the Hukotica.

The Chicago Trader Vic's was the first TV I had ever been to and I have been meaning to get back there. The Mai Kai was fantastic and I am looking forward to getting back there again as well, but I can wait until 2006.

So would it be Late July early August if in Chicago?

B

I'll vote again for Ft Lauderdale. If it is in Chicago I will not be able to attend, besides, I don't think it Could BE Huki Lau if it were not in Ft Lauderdale. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

On 2004-10-25 15:06, Humuhumu wrote:
the majority of people for whom Hukilau would be easier in Ft. Lauderdale already live in Florida, and jeez, you guys get the Mai Kai all year round. You can't be greedy, ya gotta spread the tiki around a bit!

the majority of people who live in Florida are also lazy. We moved here because it's too much trouble to plan a vacation - unless it's Hawaii!

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-10-26 19:58 ]

S

I only vote Chicago if it's in the dead of winter. I loved going to Hala Kahiki when there was a foot of snow on the ground!

On 2004-10-25 14:58, tikibars wrote:

*On 2004-10-25 14:28, Urban Tiki wrote:*I lived in Chicago for a few years and loved it but, outside of TV, there is not much tiki. SUre there's a beach, but no palm trees.

Not trying to influence this discussion one way or the other, but there is a LOT of Tiki in Chciago, Urban (or, at least in the suburbs) other than Trader Vics!

Hala Kahiki, Chef Shangri-La, the occasional Kona Kai event, the Tong's Tiki Hut chain, retail stores like Barefoot Hawaiian, and lesser, semi-Tiki locations like Club Paradise and Bamboo Room in Schaumburg.

I never went to the suburbs. My problem with this is that, if we are staying in Chicago and have events in the 'burbs, there will be too much drinking and driving. The mass transit there leaves a lot to be desired if you're not traveling during the work day. That's why I never went to the 'burbs.

MB

On 2004-10-26 22:17, Swanky wrote:
I only vote Chicago if it's in the dead of winter. I loved going to Hala Kahiki when there was a foot of snow on the ground!

Cool, next year we can all experience a blizzard. Right on.
But, I'd still opt for a hurricane....I like the warm water and off shore conditions before it hits. And, I'd always vote for the Mai Kai.
Aloha!

Above is all in humor. I would never undermine the devastation some experienced in this season.

I never went to the suburbs. My problem with this is that, if we are staying in Chicago and have events in the 'burbs, there will be too much drinking and driving. The mass transit there leaves a lot to be desired if you're not traveling during the work day. That's why I never went to the 'burbs.
Actually, the transportation was a breeze last year, all except for Chef Shangri-la for Sunday brunch, for which you did need to hitch a ride. The hotel was right on a train stop, and many of the bars were super close. I have fond memories of TurboGod doing a pole dance in the train on the way home one night...

The places that weren't at a train stop were FAB-ulously accessable via The Party Bus!! I swear, I may have had more fun on the bus going to and from all the tiki spots than I actually did at the locations themselves. Well, except maybe the Hala Kahiki. I'd be happy if the whole event took place THERE next year!!

Yes, the beach atmosphere in Ft Lauderdale is magic, but I only had time to see the beach late Friday night. My days and nights were absoulutely full in Chicago with all the tiki places to see. (and GREAT vintage shopping by the Kitch-In, where we had Saturday brunch and then boarded the party bus.) So it's not like you'd be bored and wishing you were at the beach in Chicago. (Not that anyone was bored in Florida).

On 2004-10-28 09:25, Formikahini wrote:
quote]Actually, the transportation was a breeze last year, all except for Chef Shangri-la for Sunday brunch, for which you did need to hitch a ride. The hotel was right on a train stop, and many of the bars were super close. I have fond memories of TurboGod doing a pole dance in the train on the way home one night...

The places that weren't at a train stop were FAB-ulously accessable via The Party Bus!! I swear, I may have had more fun on the bus going to and from all the tiki spots than I actually did at the locations themselves. Well, except maybe the Hala Kahiki. I'd be happy if the whole event took place THERE next year!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh captain Bob’s tiki bus. What a ride!! It was more fun then a barrel of monkeys.

powerofthetiki
http://www.marylanddctiki.com
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi

missed them all, won't miss the rest.where ever it is. TD

B

I would love to go to Chicago in 2005! how fun would that be.

I know how tough it is to plan all this stuff (So happy you are doing it!) at least 6 months notice would give me and family time to plan a trip out to Chicago!!

Thanks for doing these shows!
XOXO Baby Doe

S

Well, speaking from a purely selfish point of view here for a moment- I absolutely want to do FL in 2006 for the 50th- BUT, having just Florida-ed extensively, it's doubtful we'd be back to FL next year.

Chicago next year- though, is a real likely possibility. And I might be able to bring along a few friends. Whether it gets called Hukilau or Exotica or whatever, we'd LOVE to see another event in Chicago- with one caveat- Tiki transportation.

We did Exotica and had a FANTASTIC time- absolutely LOVED it- and could have, if anything, used even more time at the many Chicago venues. Chicago is a treasure trove! But what made it both enjoyable and ultimately more possible for us was the wondrous service of the hardworking Tiki Transports crew. I don't know that we'd do Chicago without similar.

So my vote (& Mikes) Chicago of some sort next year, Ft. Lauderdale to celebrate with and congradulate the Mai Kai the year after.

One final suggestion- one of the high points of Mondo Tiki in Vegas for us was the neon and old vegas tour, perhaps there's some way to combine the Chicago Tiki Transportation with the historial 'mod tourism' aspects to come up with some completely imersive to and from tiki traveling...

TD

I'd vote for Hukilau in Ft.Lauderdale or Orlando (Polynesian Hotel or the Royal Pacific Hotel). I'm happy to see an event in FL. If Chicago already has it's own yearly event, why not try to establish one that remains in FL or another southeastern state? I live in FL and have family in Chicago so either venue works for me. If it remains in FL, why not consider moving it to October when the storm season has calmed down a bit?

I know that everyone has been waiting for an announcement on this thread for quite some time and I apologize that we haven't quite come to a decision of sorts yet. We will definitely have an answer for you regarding Hukilau and Exotica before the beginning of next week.

Thanks for your patience and for everyone's kind and generous words.

Just chiming in a bit late to say that Hukilau last year was one of the loveliest times I've ever had. Completely magical and fun and unforgettable. Even without exciting weather! I'm sorry I missed this year, despite the trials and tribulations you all went through. I'd still love to have been there--Kiliki and Swanky are two of the finest hosts imaginable.

I can't imagine Hukilau anywhere but the Mai Kai, personally...but that's just my two cents. If I can, I'll go to whatever happens in Chicago AND Hukilau too, if they are indeed different events.

Best of luck to you guys and congrats on the excellent EBay returns! You deserve it.

xox tikivixen

A. Chicago please!! I know I won't have enough cash to make it to FL and buy a bunch of stuff! Having it in Chicago would make it very close and affordable for me.

Hope I'm not too late for the vote...

B - keep it at the Mai-Kai! :wink:

TT

Chicago!!! Much closer for me. I love Chicago anyway's.

I share great sympathy with those who could not return to FL next year, cuz I couldn't make it Chicago unless I won the lottery

Are each of the venues in Chicago going be able to hold hundreds of TCers?

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-11-22 19:46 ]

MAI KAI

A. Chicago in 2005 all the way!!!

Ft. Lauderdale or Chicago - why not have both!

First of all I want to thank each and every one of you for your comments, concerns, kind words and patience.

This has been a difficult decision to make for several reasons. The most important of which is how I feel about the Mai Kai and the people there that are now a part of my family and yours. It's hard to beat the relationship that we've formed and the ohana spirit that surrounds you as you walk through the doors.

I am happy to announce that Hukilau will remain at the Mai Kai where we belong. As Humuhumu stated before, we did originally desire for Hukilau to travel to various Tiki destinations but what we didn't expect was how we were received by the Mai Kai. This is a decision of the heart.

Everyone will be happy to know that Exotica is still planned for 2005 in Chicago! Duke and Amy Carter are busy planning for next year and will announce details very soon! Many thanks to Duke for his words of wisdom - I can't wait to join you guys next year!

The dates for Hukilau 2005 will be announced in the near future and we're working on the line up as we speak. You'll never imagine what I've got up my sleeve.

Thanks again for everything and we're goin' to a Hukilau, a huki huki huki huki Hukilau!

M

YAY!!!!! I am looking forward to everything next year!!

P

Good choice and for the right reasons.

The Mai Kai went over the top for us this year and deserve a full dose of the vibe we can bring.

And please make sure that Flounder is in a different motel than I am.

On 2004-11-24 18:10, tiki_kiliki wrote:
You'll never imagine what I've got up my sleeve.

An arm?

TG

Mai Kai in 05!

On 2004-10-16 09:43, RevBambooBen wrote:
How bout Disney World? (then down to the Mai Kai!)

I know the location has been chosen, but I've always thought WDW would be a GREAT location for an event. We could all stay at the Polynesian Resort, attend the luau, rent out the Adventurers Club for a night, and to top it off, have an after hours party at Typhoon Lagoon with surf & all.

just my 2 Z's

-Z

We have thought about Disney and they have approached us but the cost was huge! We just wouldn't be able to cut corners enough to give you an amazing event. Anyhow, you can't beat the show at the Mai Kai!

On 2004-11-24 20:40, TikiGardener wrote:

On 2004-11-24 18:10, tiki_kiliki wrote:
You'll never imagine what I've got up my sleeve.

An arm?

TG

I KNOW! I KNOW!!! An arm with a TIKI tattoo!!! :)

:cry:

On 2004-10-15 23:00, PolynesianPop wrote:
a. have Hukilau 2005 in Chicago and Hukilau 2006 in Fort Lauderdale

B

HooRay for Ft.Lauderdale and Huki Lau
HappyHappyHappy.

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies