Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art by Swamp Fire aka Doug Horne

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies

Hi all,
I've enjoyed all of the talented artist on the board. I'm finally getting a chance to post some of my recent work.

First up is a handmade book of almost all of my tiki inspired paintings 18 pages total. I'm only going to make 25 of these books. This project has been a ton of work but my love of tiki has gotten me through it. I still have 17 more books to print and build. The first pic is the cover shot.

This is the opening page. I hand tore each page and the paper is a handmade acid free paper with chunks of wood in it. Gives it a very primitive look.

Another interior page

My dream paperback cover

This one is titled Pick-Up Artist

This one is titled The Mighty Mai-Kai

And who does'nt like hot rod monkeys

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire on 2004-10-17 19:58 ]

Too cool. I love the monkey on top of the Mai-Kai sign. Great job!

WOW...that is amazing. is there a possibilty of a less labor intensive version coming out. I would love one, as i am sure many others
Thanks for sharing.

M

Very Cool...:wink:

H

excellent artwork

That is really beautiful work! It's great to see you posting it.

http://www.samgambino.com

Damn... some top notch stuff there! A lot of talent wrapped up in those pages.

I had the pleasure of meeting Swamp Fire at Hukilau where he had the this amazing hand made piece, all I can say is that it is such a wondeful piece and besides the amazing art between the covers it is such a unique thing, I am so hoping that things turn around for me so I have the opportunity to own one of these.

piced up the pick up artist print at hukilau....looks great in my living room.......great stuff......

D

Well,that's just stunning!I love the little skulls on the cover,too much!

Fantastic work, Whats the damage on one of the books or are they all gone

Wow Swampy, Those books are really cool. Great Idea, I agree, the little skulls are a super addition. Paper making is a pretty neat process. I have some friends that make paper and build really neat art books. They have also written a book on the subject. If interested, take a look. Thier ukulele books are awesome.

http://members.cruzio.com/~peteranddonna/

Chongolio

On 2004-10-18 11:45, cheekytiki wrote:
Fantastic work, Whats the damage on one of the books or are they all gone

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Cheekytiki I'm selling the books on my web site and I have $150 ea. More details about the book at the site. Just go to the originals page.

Chongolio, great link. I love the ukulele books, very cool idea. I did not actually make the paper itself but did all of the binding and mounting of the cover and back cover design etc. Also the dye cut window on the front. The cover paper is like nothing I have seen before, kind of a cork paper, tough to describe. The skull bones are from tibet, detail pic below.

I had a great time designing the book and it was a learning experience in book binding.

http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

T

Awesome work Doug! The book is sooOO freakin great, I got to view it at Hukilau. It's quality, top knotch! I love all the extreme angles you use, especiallly when you're lookin up at the massive signs, and pitched roofs. Colors... to die for. Characters....come on! "A" for awesome. Can't wait to see mo'

You've got incredible artistic vision, Swamp Fire. Those are just too good for words. Hang with us for awhile. We really must see whatever you have in store for us in the future...

A-A

B

SwampFire, I'm Really glad to see you posting some of your work here. Finally. It's ytoo good to keep hidden. Now that you gave us a tease, We gotta have More???

Your art is SUPERb. It was goode to meet you at Hukilau.

N

I think your work is kool. You definitely have your own style. I have a couple of your prints already. What I am waiting for now are those kool mugs you designed, they are a must have.

did you say mugs?????????....please fill me in!!!!

Cool! One complaint. The Bamboo is too perfect!! Arrr.

S
SES posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2004 11:47 AM

The book came out fantastic!
Love your work.
:)

SF

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Yes, I am working with Holden on 2 mugs and a shot glass. Not sure when they will be done. I will post some sketches when I get a chance.

In the mean time, I just finished the 4th in my "Mug Shot" series. Not all are tiki but thought you might enjoy.

"Satan gets busted"

"Tiki gets busted"

"Fluffy gets busted"

"Chimpy gets busted"

These are so cool and unique. Love the concept and character of them.

SF

Thanks Sam, I appreciate the comments.

Satan was busted for, of all things, J-walking, go figure. He punched the cop in the knee with his face. At least that's the cops version of it. It's been a fun series to do. Not sure if I will do more, maybe 4 is enough.

B

Boy that must have been Some cat/monkey/cop/devil fight. Your imagination seems to have been spending time in the Swamps. I love it and the tiki is my favorite.

Man, your stuff is real good. I love the cartoony feel of your artwork, and somhow your colors are really vivid - even if they're muted tones.
Great work! Thanks for sharing!

B

I too saw this book at HukiLau and it was awesome, Killer, Unlike anything you expect to open up and see. Very entertaining and mind boggeling.I'm sure at that price he won't have many left. Don't you have more pictures to post Swampfire? I know you are holding out on us.

SF

On 2004-11-08 20:47, Polynesiac wrote:
somhow your colors are really vivid - even if they're muted tones.
Great work! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Polynesiac, I've never been a big fan of primary colors. I'd actually like to try some paintings with even more muted color. Just short of black and white. Might give it a real vintage feel. Like a hand colored photo.

Ben, thanks for the comments. The book is more impressive in person. Below is one of my more recent drink menus, titled "Grog List" the copy under the drink name is the drink recipe.

I survived the head-hungry Jivaro tribe!

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire on 2004-11-09 09:39 ]

Swamp Fire-

You are one bad-ass artist! You are so good -I want to visit Zombie Cove and Mai Kai's!!!

Is there anywhere we can purchase prints of your work? I would especially be interested in those two pieces...

Mahalos-

TK

[ Edited by: TheTikiKing on 2004-11-14 20:36 ]

On 2004-11-14 20:33, TheTikiKing wrote:
Swamp Fire-

Is there anywhere we can purchase prints of your work? I would especially be interested in those two pieces...

Mahalos-

TK

[ Edited by: TheTikiKing on 2004-11-14 20:36 ]

TikiKing, thanks for your interest and thanks for the kind words. Zombie cove is a print I sell on e-bay (auction ends every Sunday night) and The Mighty Mai Kai is a print I sell on my web site, link below.

Aloha everyone,
Wanted to share some of my more recent paintings and stuff.

This one is titled Invasion of Planet Tiki. It combines my love of pin-ups, B-movie sci-fi and of course Tiki. MARS NEED WOMEN! NUDE ON THE MOON. Classics.

Detail

Next is titled Kahiki Memories my all time favorite tiki place, R.I.P.

Title: Grand Theft Tiki

Title: Discoverying Paradise Lost

Detail

Ultimate Tiki Tunes CD cover art. Room for type in the sky.

My first ever tiki mug design. Thanks to Holden over at TF. Gulp!

Swampy the new stuff is out-o- site. I really like the Outrigger California Map. The octupus wearing the fez is great. Sorry I didn't get a chance to come by your booth and introduce myself. Unga Bunga bought Mars needs nekid woman during Oasis, so I got a couple chances to really roll the peepers over it. Totally dig all your detail and the humor. Very very very cool.

Chongolio

Hmmm...I believe I've seen this fella somewhere before...

This is simply beautiful stuff, Doug. I especially like those good old '50's flying saucers... to me there's nothing like sitting in front of one of those movies on a Friday night.

What medium did you do these paintings in? Also, great mug!

http://www.samgambino.com

Swamp....you're art kicks butt. That's a good thing.

WOW WOW, love it.

love 'em all Swampfire....and I wanna see
if the bartender wants to work saturday
nights in the CongaTiki Lounge...Very very
cool stuff!

B

SwampFire, it's been awhile but Definately Worth the Wait! These are some Really nice pieces. I LOVE the Maori barkeep in the "invasion of the Planet Tiki". And the "Kahiki Memories" and "Grand theft tiki" are super. All the way down the list I see improvements in your work where I thought you needed none.
Again like Keigs, the Only problem is NOT ENOUGH. We need more, but will take whatever you give us.
Thanks..

T

Swamp, your going from a painter to a Paris Hilton with all the different stuff that you are branching out in. Just showed peeps from Ohio your Kahiki Memories and I bet they will love it. The sky is crazy!Too bad that I never got to go. I got into tiki a Wal-greens too late.

I really dig that purple guy and its cool that he (or she) got into two of your painting.

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 13, 2005 6:28 AM

OOh loving this stuff. Really diggin the stuff with the patina/aged feel to it.

Damn Doug - dat shit is dope, YO!

Seriously, your stuff is top notch. When are you going to be back out in Cali????

Excellent art. Were these painted or is this digital?

T

Man, they look great. Love the Tiki plant one

Chongalio, ditto for me at Oasis it was all a blur, a good kind of blur. Maybe it was the rum. Thanks for the comments.

Purple jade, yes, I usually pose for my reference photos. I can't afford to hire models and I feel better about creating the reference photos whenever I can. I try to change the look of my people (add weight, smaller nose, bigger chin) but you busted me.

Sam and alohastation, yes, digital. I start with a pencil sketch, scan that into the computer and trace over the sketch in Illustrator (kind of like an underpainting at this stage). Then I bring that into Photshop and render the image. No scanned photos or textures, I still have not found that key command for create tiki. Sam I saw your painting at M Modern, looked great and had a sold sticker on it, bonus.

Jungle trader, rodeotiki, congatiki, benzart,teakey, hewey and Thanatos. No you guy rock and kick ass, thanks for the nice comments I really do appreciate it.

Polypop, thanks. Sorry we did not get a chance to talk on Sunday. Your signs looked really cool. I feel out of touch here in Phoenix with all the cool events in So Cal. I may be out your way this summer, maybe Long Beach.

Thanks everyone!

My favorite part is the monkey behind the bar, I looked at it for a long time before I saw him! Great stuff. I have Photoshop and I can't imagine doing anything so cool with it.

Well, I'll be darned! I'll have to tell DH you're on here. He's a big fan. I've always been the tikiophile in our family until he found your work on eBay. After buying several of your prints, he's started embracing the tiki way of life and is even starting his own mug collection...all thanks to your influence, Doug.

I thought you might get a kick out of seeing some of your artwork prominently dispayed in our living room (it's tiny in the photos, but it's there :wink: )...

We've got a bunch more prints, but DH has earmarked them for his "man room" in the basement, which he's working on finishing.

You do great work, and thanks for sharing your tiki spirit with DH!

On 2005-05-13 09:33, Swamp Fire wrote:
Polypop, thanks. Sorry we did not get a chance to talk on Sunday. Your signs looked really cool. I feel out of touch here in Phoenix with all the cool events in So Cal. I may be out your way this summer, maybe Long Beach.

Thanks for the comp. Keep me posted about your return to Cali. I too, apologize for not stopping by your booth. Wish I did though - I wanted to pick up a print and a t-shirt. Now that you've posted your new stuff, I wanna pick up more! I really like the Kahiki one.

On 2005-05-13 09:33, Swamp Fire wrote:
...you busted me.

But do you really drive a purple car?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies