Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art by Swamp Fire aka Doug Horne

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies

On 2005-05-13 10:41, purple jade wrote:

On 2005-05-13 09:33, Swamp Fire wrote:
...you busted me.

But do you really drive a purple car?

Purple Jade, I'm embarassed to say I drive a silver CRV...ouch! It pains me to say that but it does get me from point A to point B. When I was younger I used to drive only older cars, 63 t-bird, mustang and all without air conditioning in the Phoenix heat of summer. I would get stuck 5 cars deep in a left hand turn lane.

Kitchywoman, thanks for posting the pics love the chairs.

Polynesianpop, e-mail me if you want to buy. I always give a Tiki Central discount.

My brutha!
I drive a silver CRV!!!!
I LOVE it!!
And I don't care who knows...

On 2005-05-13 11:52, purple jade wrote:
My brutha!
I drive a silver CRV!!!!
I LOVE it!!
And I don't care who knows...

Cool! I feel so much better about it. I was thinking about adding flames to mine, what do you think.

This is concept sketch for the tiki mug I'm doing through Tiki Farm. Goon.

Looks nice. Front and back. I'll place this next to my Fender Guitar tiki mug.

B

I like it. Not sure where I'll put mine, Nice,mean face

DH, this stuff is the tops! I've had a special place in my heart for the Laguna Outrigger, and really like the way you brought it to life.

T

Swamp...I love your work!! I aint sittin pretty here with some of the mainstream TC'ers..I got a tiki pee pee spankin as initiation!!!..but I DO enjoy those I can share things with where we can catalize each others creative spirit.

I am about to design some mugs for TikiFarm also...and excited to get back to sculpting. I was thinkin of doing a series of sketches..much like the elevaions you have done above. Have you found sculpters anywhere that are good at interpreting sketches into 3d? Do you feel you lose the style you design when or if you hand over these concepts in sketch form??

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-13 21:33 ]
H

KOOL MUG!

I like the mug design as a piece of art in itself!

Thanks Raffertiki, Benzart and Hewey. The mug should be out within the next month or so. I've also got Grog comming out then as well.

Tiki Diablo, the inspiration for that painting was a picture of the place in the Book of Tiki. I thought it looked like such a cool place with the backlite tiki masks outside. Hey, I want one of those shrunken head mugs you did, awsome.

Thor, great to see you still hanging out with us after the barrage. I think alot of people would have headed for the hills after that. I love your work (whats not to love about it). I think we all can learn from each other ... oops, I just pee pee'd in my tiki shorts.

As far as the mug thing goes, I went into it as fun thing to do. I collect myself (drink my OJ in one ever morning) and never thought of it as a big money maker. TC has plenty of talented carvers that can help you out. Holden has been great with letting me know what works and what does not as far as the design goes. The Tiki Farm sculptors have done a great job translating my sketches also. When you get some sketches together be sure to post them. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

T

yeah, the goon is like the gulp on roids. the mug picture has been on your website for sometime now so its like a long time coming for this mug. over and out

Doug-
Love those mug designs! As for the flamed CRV, I would say have at it!

Doug...
You work is AWESOME...I am an art teacher (so i know a little) and what you have done with Photoshop is amazing!!! I know enough about photoshop to be dangerous...LOL...ya know creating compromising sences with photos of your friends and enemies...LOL

Keep it up! I'm gonna have to get me a Tiki Mug-shot print.

Oh my god! I'm in love with the Kahiki print! I'm going to pick one of those up for sure!!!!!! Great work!

Doug,

GOON RULES!!. When can I have one? When, I say.. WHEN?! (sorry, lost it there)

I love the reaccuring skull as well. GREAT WORK.

B

YEs this mug is gonna be a big Must Have. I'm not sure I would add flames to it. It already says al it has to say without adding flames . I don't think they would fit .
I'm going to have to have one either way.

Thanks Digitiki, I've been wanting to do a painting of the Kahiki for awhile now. I have memories of it when I got to visit about 8 years ago. I was so bumbed when it was torn down.

Thanks Match Tiki, he should be out soon. Maybe next month.

Hey Ben, I appreciate it. The glaze on Goon and grog look great. It has a nice vintage mossy green color to it. I never thought I would ever get to design my own tiki mug so I have a grin on my face that will not quite.

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire on 2005-06-10 18:32 ]

Speaking of mugs. This is a painting I did of a mug I would love to have produced. I think it still needs some tweeking as far as the design goes. Thinking maybe a mat glaze with glossy flames. Not really sure if that ever works combining the two. Swamp Fire is the name. I'd love some feedback from you guys.

Doug - That is one cool mug all the way down to the swizzle stick!! I like how the tiki is bathed in the flames (I wish I had thought of it myself!).

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 2:22 AM

That is a very cool mug dude. Good luck with getting it made.

How would the earings go on a mug? I suppose you could just mold them to the side. The flames stick out a little too much (or is it just me). Maye have the flames include the base of the mug as well?

Just minor adjustments to a very cool design. Its a cool piece of art in itself as well

I think it's a great signature mug. Let us know when Holden gets started with the Goon mug. My place is only about a 20 minute drive from Tiki Farm.

A-A

Yeeeeeoooooooowwwwwwwwwzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaa!!!!

Your work is excellent! Such a great sense of style in each one...but that cali outrigger map takes the cake!!! Simply beautiful! (I love old-timey maps and anything combining tiki, pirates and sailing is the BOMB to me) Nicely done!

Long Beach this summer?!?! you tabling at the LB tiki fest?

B

Doug, I love the fire on this one. It puts you in the swamp cooking up a heavy duty Swampfire drink. Love it.

Sam, thanks, I was thinking of a boiling pot when I did it. I did not want to do an actual pot, too literal.

Thanks for the advice Hewey, I was thinking the ear rings could be gold platted, actual rings.

Ben and Aaron, Thanks, Goon should be out very soon, maybe June?

Thanks Polynesiac, I like the old time maps also. I was not sure if people would dig that one. Glad you like. I want to do more shows in So. Cal. Tiki Fest is one I need to look into.

Aloha fellow tiki peeps! Wanted to share some recent paintings with you guys.

The first is a sneak peek at the cover art for the upcoming fall issue of Tiki Magazine. Titled "Atomic Rum, A Revelation".

Detail

Title "Scamp"

Detail

Thanks all!

Your paintings just blow my mind, Doug. I saw quite a few of your prints the other day at the Orange County Market Place. Very pleasant surprise. I love the homage to Oceanic Arts in the second to last one. Those monkeys are nutz!

A-A

B

Doug, Your are has Always been Exceptional but these two pieces Really Raise the BAr. These guys are Awesome and I can't decide which one I love the best. The first one definately puts me right there at the bar feeling just like All 3 monkeys. Been there and done that and even have the t-shirt. The next one has amazing movement along with super expressions. Love the pendant flying out the window.
Can't wait for Tiki Mag #3

Doug your Adobe Illustrator skills blow my mind! I can't even draw a straight line in Illustrator.

Keep up the incredible work brutha.

Sweetest stuf I've seen in a long time. Really nice touch on every single one.

http://www.PalmCityTiki.com

T

I like how the the second to last, the window looks like its own painting. Cool stuff. You got like a hundred mugs in that painting. TikiMag. has had the best cover art and now you are going to have to sign some peoples covers.

Doug- More than ever, this is top notch stuff.... Love the Woody too!

Really amazing work. the detail, colors and content are really lush and vivid. A feast for the eyebones. Thanks for sharing the goods with us.

Chongolio

I love it. The woody looks amazing , love the patina on the paint.
Is the driver the same driver from the "Grand theft tiki" print . He must be out on bail or made a clean getaway.

F
foamy posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 5:57 AM

Great work. What medium do you work in? Your art is so polished that it's hard to tell. The book is way, way cool.

SF

AAron, Benzart, Palm City, Teakey, Sam, Chongolio and Rodeo, Thanks. I appreciate the comments. I always enjoy seeing all the great work you guys create here on TC.

Scott, great meeting you at Hukilau last year. I saw your recent work on your web site, great stuff man.

Foamy, thanks, the final is painted in Photoshop. I start with a pencil sketch outside of the computer, scan that and use it as a guide to draw out the image in illustrator, kind of like an underpainting at this point. Then I bring that into Photoshop and paint the final image. Probably more of an explination than you wanted.

Below is a painting I did for Gecko's limited edition card for his Voodoo tiki mug.

The lamp on the right is a rendering of one from Gecko's collection and the tiki on the sign is one of his carvings.

I survived the head-hungry Jivaro tribe!
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2005-11-01 08:31 ]

I like finding all the little details you pyt in your pieces, each a creation in itself. I like the 3 monkeys. They obviously don't have a problem, hearing, seeing, or speaking evil. Well, maybe they have a problem speaking it.

You should make prints of that last one (well...of all your stuff really, but I'm just focusing on the most recent post right now).
Vibrant, energetic and BEAUTIFUL! that card will compliment an already beautiful mug perfectly. Gecko must be very happy.

I like that you put the gecko signiture on the walls of the A frame. Very well done.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 7:10 PM

there are prints of all these pictures. That last one is in short numbers so get it while you can. :wink:

I just received my signed Goon mug, and it is the bomb! It looks great on the internet, but in person, it's 80 times better. Great job, Doug and Tiki Farm! You guys outdid yourselves with this one!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2005-11-04 21:01 ]

How'd I miss this thread! Holy Bejeeez, these are a feast for the tiki eyes. Perfectly done. Hmmm, can I make a screen saver out of these?!:)

thanks teakey

Hiya Doug I just ordered the OUTRIGGER print and it arrived today...YOWZAH!!!! it rocks.

thanks!

SF

Hey Raffertiki and Teakey, thanks, I appreciate it.

Sam, my Gambino mug arrived yesterday. He sits proudly on my kitchen counter. Like you said it is better in person than on the computer. Keep up the cool work.

Surfintiki, thanks, yes, screen saver is fine with me.

Hey Polynesiac, Awsome, glad you like it. I'm really glad you picked that image. It has not been a big seller of mine and it is one of my favorite pieces. Hey next time mention TC and get free shipping.

Thank you Swampy. My wife ordered the "Atomic Rum, A Revelation" for my birthday on Nov. 19, but I saw it in the mail box, so she went ahead and gave it to me. Now I am looking for a fitting frame.

Great suprise and very happy to have a piece of your art.

Thanks again.
Mike

http://www.PalmCityTiki.com

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 5:55 PM

Swamp, did you see the new Tiki BAr episode. Its a must for you. CAn you guess why if you haven't ?

Your mugs are totally all over that episode. LIke the only one that you can make out and there are like tons of close up shots. It could be on all the future episodes.

SF

Hey Teakey, I need to update my computer because when I go to view the episodes I get an error message.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 4:04 PM

I was getting that a lot too and after a few days, and maybe, a different computer, I got to see it. It might not just be you.

Aloha everyone!
Got away form tiki for a bit and went with some curves and rusty metal. Oh and a rat.

Rat-Rod Girl

Rusty metal and Rat

The curves

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 1:32 PM

Cool picture.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies