Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2005 Hawaiian Inn party, Daytona Beach, January 22

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies

On 2005-01-26 07:17, Swanky wrote:
I really want to know if that Hawaii Motel sign has motion in the hula girl's neon skirt!

Swank,
I've passed this sign at night and parts of the neon are burned out, or otherwise not operating. But I think you are right that the lights on the skirt were designed to flash back and forth to give it a swing and sway effect.

I have an old postcard of this hotel. The pole holing up the red sign was originally painted to look like a bamboo pole. It really is a great piece of Polynesian pop art. Glad you found and photographed it Vern.
KG

S

Here is my selection of pics from the weekend. Look for my 50's places (Tiki and non-tiki) on http://www.SwankPad.org later.

Pablus Home Bar

More of his Lounge

Some of the Haole Cats. Do you have a band at your home bar?

Our host performing.

Vern and Bree under the glowing mask at Julian's.

A panorama of Julian's.

Man, those hips are made for hula!

For Pablus and his brother...

Julian's Door.

Poolside at the Hawaiian Inn.

Damaged, but still awesome. I love this mix of mod and thatch. But, maybe this was covered before and the frame is just left?

Hawaiian Inn. The large bamboo on those columns is actually tied on. It's not just for looks. No nails or wire or screws.

Aku Tiki early Witco

Outrigger

Outside an antique store. This is about 8 feet tall.

Entrance to the show

Wayne and Sven finally meet

H.I. Lobby

A new annual Hawaiian Inn event, Bre-elle bench presses HumHumu.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:25 ]

P

OK some credits:

Thanks to Vern for the mix CD and that fantastic Mai Tai mix. It's really good. You're a good conversationalist Vern and I enjoyed taking with you.

Thanks to Wayne Coombs for listening to a couple of new originals on the uke while we lounged out on the deck.

Thanks to ABC liquor for staying open until 12am and stocking Licor 43.

Thanks to Basement Kahuna for the concubine recipe. I didn't tell ANYONE, braddah.

Thanks to KavaKing for the Grog mix.

Thanks to JTD for the gallon of rum but we missed you there, brah. Hope all is well.

Thanks to Kailuageoff and Marian for videotaping that INCREDIBLE witco collection of the Neptune Tiki Family.
Dave, you're not insane.
Obssession is a good thing.

Thanks to Rustiki for being a good pal.
We worked out an arrangement of Nani Hanalei during one of the lulls on Saturday afternoon.

We're going to drop a mp3 of it on here in a few days.

Thanks to JonPez for taking the bullet for me by getting up and dancing and thus stopping Marian and Neptune Tiki from shrieking at them to pick me.

Thanks to the Haole Kats for making the trip east. You guys continue to astound.

Thanks to Humuhumu for the compliments and for bringing that snazzy little soprano uke. You'll be great on that one day. Rustiki says we need to perform "Wait for Me at Waikiki" together on stage. That would be a sight.

Thanks to Hanford for indulging us this channel through which to create so many memorable times.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for posting all those great pics and descibing what life is like right now in a state that's not snowbound! You guys helped me forget the fact that we are in the middle of yet another snowstorm in the North East!

Another round of thanks to everyone for posting their stories & pictures.

All 3 Haole Kats were disappointed that we couldn't make it up for this event....however, we DID have a great time at the Lagoon Lounge on Thursday night! Once again, Pablus & Angela were kind enough to let us in and even feed us! Wonderful atmosphere, nice folks, good food AND more Ukuleles than you could shake your Tiki at...if that's not a recipe for a good time, I don't know what is!

Swanky - It was great seeing you again and getting a chance to chat a bit. Good luck with everything you've got going on. We're all pulling for you!

I'm here to tell you that Pablus is one helluva good songwriter. We had a great time following along with a few of his tunes...do I smell a CD in the works???

J
http://www.whollycatsband.net

J
JTD posted on Thu, Jan 27, 2005 7:35 AM

Pablus, KG,
Boy, seeing those pictures makes me especially sad we couldn't make it. Katie picked up some last minute business for Saturday afternoon and early evening that she couldn't turn down. That and some unraveling babysitting plans caused us to call off our overnighter. Since I had promised to bring the white rum for the punch, I just came down around 1 p.m. and dropped it off. Y'all must have been at lunch (or in bed) because I called a few rooms and scoured the premises w/o luck.

JTD

On 2005-01-27 07:35, JTD wrote:
Since I had promised to bring the white rum for the punch, I just came down around 1 p.m. and dropped it off.

JTD,
Man, that's some heavy-duty aloha spirit! I wish everyone was as serious about keeping their commitments as you are. Sorry you couldn't stay. Most of us were probably out scouring the thrift stores and antique malls. The not-so-funny thing is, someone saw an ambulance taking one of the guests out of the hotel on Saturday and when you didn't show up we all thought, "oh no....." So we are extremely glad it wasn't you!
Hopefully we'll see you at the Hukilau, if not before.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-01-27 09:42 ]

J
JTD posted on Sat, Jan 29, 2005 2:44 PM

On 2005-01-27 09:38, Kailuageoff wrote:
The not-so-funny thing is, someone saw an ambulance taking one of the guests out of the hotel on Saturday and when you didn't show up we all thought, "oh no....." So we are extremely glad it wasn't you!
[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-01-27 09:42 ]

Sheesh! Break one leg and you're branded for life. :)

WOW!!!! What a great weekend! We had a BLAST!!!! Here are some pics!

Pablus -
Great bar! I was glad that Swanky shared the pics of the lagoon. It is incredible! We are inspired to build one on our side patio .... that is OF COURSE after the remodel of the kitchen and bathrooms. Mucho thanks for the delicious drinks Friday and Saturday night and the great tunes that you and Rusty played on the ukes. Also the wonderful use of your suite ALL weekend! Your hospitality is greatly appreciated! I loved the pineapple at your door!!

Geoff -
You planned another great event! Everything was wonderful from Julian's to the Hawaiian show with Wayne and his family. Saturday was a blast thrift store shopping with you and Marian. We found sooooooooo many treasures!The 60's ashtray that you spotted and found looks great on the boomarang table!

It was great seeing everyone and meeting new people.

My only question to put out is..... do we have to wait until Hukilau 2005 to get together AGAIN?

Neptune Wahine

[ Edited by: NeptuneTiki on 2005-01-30 09:32 ]

[ Edited by: NeptuneTiki on 2005-01-30 09:33 ]

P

That shot of Vern amidst the lovely island flowers is one of the best I've ever seen here.

Thanks for the pics folks.

By the way, the use of my image for the express purposes of frightening children at risk of obesity is encouraged by the management.

Now would you please pass the poi.

Neptune Wahine,
The pictures are great. Thanks so much for posting them. I too had fun on Saturday shopping. Two pairs of shoes, a diamond ring and a headhunter... what more could a girl ask for?
We will definitley be seeing you before the next Hukilau.
Wahine Marian

Aloha Wahine Marian! That is music to my ears! I cannot wait!

TB

On 2005-01-30 09:25, NeptuneTiki wrote:

My only question to put out is..... do we have to wait until Hukilau 2005 to get together AGAIN?

Neptune Wahine

WE have the power to do it again whenever we want!!!!!!
How about Orlando?????........Polynesian Hotel luau, Waitiki (before bar crowd swarm) and my backyard Tiki deck: the Tihiki Room???? Hmmmmm?
Would love to have ya.........

I say, Let's do it! I love the idea of your tiki bar Bree! I am dying to see your house!
Let's do something in March! This weekend is SUPER BOWL in Jax ---- I'll see if I can spot some tikis downtown among all the Eagles and Patriots!

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies