Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikiland ~ a new San Diego store?

Pages: 1 6 replies

D

as if southern california wasn't already blessed with tikis and talented carvers galore, a friend in san diego told me about another store, Tikiland

looks like all new stuff, and the masks are pretty nondescript.

anyone else been here yet? the website claims "Largest tiki store in Southern California" ~ could that be true?

3770 Hancock St. Suite B
(behind the sports arena)
San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 463 - 9600

dogbytes, I visted the El Cajon shop a few years ago and encountered mostly rental and cosmetic type stuff intended for luaus and parties. He also does other "theme" parties and spent the better part of his time and effort arranging, planning and setting up events. I haven't been to this store yet and in fact didn't know it existed until I saw your post. After checking out his site I gave him a call but got an answering machine telling me he's out setting up a party. I'll drive by there this weekend and check it out. A Tower Records is right around the corner, so that'll be a good excuse to pick up some new CD's as well.

If I am not mistaken, this business is not new. Its been around for years. It was called Kahuna Bobs Party Rentals. I purchased stuff from them in 1996 for my Dad's 50th Birthday luau. The El Cajon location is somewhat newer but that dank cave of a store by Sports Arena has been there a while.

D

thanks for the info. i looked at the website, but it didnt thrill me the way Bensons or OA does. heck, even bamboo ben's website is graphically more nteresting :wink:

elicia

I went in the Hanckck St. store last week while on my way to Kobey's Swap Meet &, although they still seem to focus on rentals, it looks like they've added alot of Tikis & Bamboo for sale. They told me that they were getting a whole container of new tikis shipped to them soon, so their selection should be getting even better.

My husband nad I just finished a buying trip. We started at Tikiland and ended there. Very packed with row upon row of tikis! We got about 4 tikis-2 Moai, 1 Lono, 1 Ko. Awesome prices! We got a ton of nautical stuff as well. (Our backyard theme is pirates shipwrecked on a tiki island/lagoon)The owner is Cobain-very cool dude. He kept knocking $5.00 off here, $10.00 of there! He'd run to the back and come out with something else he thought (correctly!) we'd like. Our Durango was so crammed, we were draggin! He took our wishes/ideas and told us to check back because he'd find them/ stock them. At these prices, I'll let him! I'll try posting photos.

Very interesting. I like the way they offer different finishes, and that they do not go beyond white teeth and eyes in their colorization.

As a "purist" (and mostly vintage Tiki collector) I regret that this container ware from Bali/Phillipines appears to be the way nouveaux Tiki is going, the American carvers just can't beat those prices. Trader Vic's is doing it, even O.A. is trying to sell some Poly-Asian carvings, though they concede that there is always something slightly off with the design, like in this case the long legs of the Hawaiian Tikis. You can tell that the carver has no connection to the tradititon. The craftsmanship is great, the wood fine, but there often is a tinge of Asian in there that strikes me as wrong.

Californian carvers of the 50s and 60s interpreted traditional Tikis in their own way too, but you can tell that they poured over Oceanic Art books, knew Polynesian culture in general and added their American whimsy to the stuff. It was Polynesian Pop, whereas this new generation of imports should be dubbed Poly-Asian Pop.

This is purely a statement of personal opinion and taste, of course.

Pages: 1 6 replies