Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Help me out....Gosling's??

Pages: 1 15 replies

D

Hey Peeps-

So I had a choice tonite at the neighborhood liquor store. I went to buy the Appleton Estate Special Reserve Dark Rum thinking it was approx. $18 only to be reminded that it was $27.99. The only size of Myers that they had was the same, so I opted for Gosling's at $19.99 + tax. Gotta say not that excited about it. Tried it in a Mai Tai...and it was...um...okay. Having it now in a Trader Vic Grog...better, but not as good as Appleton. Any suggestion on how to get my money's worth outta this stuff??

K
Kono posted on Fri, Oct 22, 2004 8:39 PM

I like the Gosling's Black Seal. A little sweeter than Meyer's. I think it makes a nice Mai Tai myself but I don't fall into the mainstream when it comes to Mai Tai recipes. Maybe use it with Bacardi white to offset the dryness of the Bacardi. I don't know...just send it to me if you don't like it. :wink:

dark and stormy

I myself have only ever had a Mai Tai made with Goslings and Appleton's special reserve or St James for the gold rum in the recipe. I hear that Myers is not quite as good as Goslings in the Mai Tai recipe. I do like Myers when I replicate the Barrel O' Rum drink from the Mai Kai, and I find it quite delicious.

I like Gosling's.
I just tried the Cruzan Dark and I like it better.

M

Cruzan Black Strap. Better. $8.99 Trader Joe's.

Gosling's OK.

Whaler's BAD.

I love Gosling's in Dark and Stormys, but that's about it. I couldn't imagine it in a Mai Tai- for that I use aged Appleton Estate and St. James. Dark and Stormys make a nice change from tiki drinks and are very refresshing.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Aug 14, 2005 4:29 PM

I just picked up some Gosling's Gold rum (first time I'd ever seen it). Very nice! I'm woefully unable to be any more descriptive than that unfortunately. I envy those of you who talk about a spirit being "slightly woody" or "has a hint of vanilla." My palate is just not very refined. Any of you eloquent guys tried the Gosling's Gold? It may just be my new favorite amber rum (well, maybe second to the Mount Gay Sugar Cane Rum).

I have not tried the Gold, but we just got a bottle of the Black Seal and I love it. The wife and I are over halfway through the bottle and it's only been open since last night. Dark and Stormy, mmmmmmm.

H
hypr posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2005 2:04 PM

The goslings website has some recipes.. Next time you have some guests over make a huge Rum Swizzle!

:drink:Recipes: Bella Donna
http://www.goslings.com/recipe.asp?type=Drink&order=1
From it's home at the Las Vagas Bellagio Hotel we present to you, for your drinking pleasure, the Bella Donna.

Ingredients

Cinnamon & Sugar
1oz. Gosling's Black Seal Rum
1oz. Amaretto di Saronno
2 tablespoons fresh sour mix (combine 1 tablespoon of each sugar, water, lemon & lime juices)

Preparation

1. Rim martini glass with sugar mix
  2. Shake rum, amaretto and sou mix with ice. Strain into galss and serve.

"It was as dark as a motive, and smoky on the tongue, like a kiss between cigarettes. It didn't even have a name. There was sugar on the rim, but wait, there was an adult spice in the sugar, too - a coarse powder of freshly ground cinnamon. I felt as if the drink was watching me, sleepy-eyed, to see if it was working"
(New York Times, February 2, 2003).

:drink:Recipes: Rum Swizzle
http://www.goslings.com/recipe.asp?type=Drink&order=2
8 oz. Gosling's Black Seal Rum
Juice of 2 limes (or lemons)
5 oz. Pineapple juice
5 oz. Orange juice
3/4 oz. Red Grenadine
2 oz. Bermuda Falernum or simple syrup
6 dashes Angostura bitters

Add all ingredients to a pitcher 1/3 full of crushed ice and churn vigorously untill a frothing appears. Alternatively mix in a cocktail shaker. Strain in sour glasses.

Rum Swizzle is mixed and bottled in the Gosling's bottling plant. It is available for sale in Gosling's stores, Bermuda Duty Free, and at the famous Swizzle Inn (see picture).

Serving Size: 6

[ Edited by: hypr 2005-08-15 14:05 ]

Gosling Gold = Good stuff.

N

I don't know about all Trader Joe's, but the one in Camarillo is selling Gosling Gold for $6.99.

I've subsituted Black Seal for dark Jamaican rum in several cocktails and they usually didn't turn out right. It's best used as a floater.

Goslings Black Seal is an indispensable rum in my bar. It's essential in Shrunken Skulls, Jet Pilots, Navy Grogs, anything that calls for a black rum. You can even make Corn 'N Oil with it, but some people prefer the Cruzan Black Strap for that one. I think it's too dark for Mai Tais, but it does work in Rum Barrels.

I asked the folks at Trader Joes and $6.99 is their new price for Goslings Gold, at least in California.

Best
Mark

forget Goslings. have some real fun. try Cachaca...its from Brazil....just don't light a match near the stuff.

Pages: 1 15 replies