Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Reggae Anyone?

Pages: 1 35 replies

Anyone like reggae mon?

Ben,

The young musicians over in HI are into a style called Jawaiian. It's a combination of reggae and popular hawaiian music. Even though I'm a purist when it comes to musical styles, it' not bad.

Maybe Gecko can shed some more light on it (or light it up!).

(jammin', we be jammin' hey mon, pass the splif)

reggae, ska, rocksteady. it's totally irie ,it's breezy, hepcat is the greatest band ever......besides sublime ,bob marley is great when you wanna carve a righteous tiki....rudeboy tikirock............. Kreepy tiki Jaksin

If you want to try jawaiian check ok OSHEN. One of my all time favs.

J

I'm a huge reggae fan but for some reason I don't ever mix my reggae with my tiki...I'm into early 80's dancehall - Yellowman, Eek A Mouse, Josey Wales, etc. as well as roots music (Mighty Diamonds, Wailing Souls, Culture, etc.) My collection spans from original Jamaican ska (Skatalites, Don Drummond) to rock steady (Toots, the Melodians) all the way to modern times. I have got ridiculous amounts of reggae vinyl cluttering my house and I'm always looking to buy more...you wanna talk reggae you can talk to me!!! The only stuff I don't like is the majority of new dancehall (if I wanted to listen to rap I'd buy a rap album) and this American garbage (311, etc.)

:drink:

G

When I carve I got my Jawaiian BLASTEN!!! Or my Brahda IZ! Jawaiian is a mixture of the beating reggae drums to the flow of Local artist here on da islands such as Southern Rush, Oshen, Kapena the best of both worlds because they play both Jawaiian and Hawaiian.
You can pick some up at Momilanis in Oceanside. They usually have a good selection.

I hear you can get some hawaiian music over the satilite on da mainland now? Is that true? the music channles on digital satelite. If you got a awsome stereo system and can pick up over seas stations tune your radio to KCCN FM100. They play choke (a lot) Jawaiian sounds.

I love swingin my coconut wood chips to 96 degrees in the shaaaaaade, real hot in the shaaade!

I have a friend Joe whos band plays Jawaiian and reggae at Squid Joes in Carlsbad. He's a local boy that owns a Hawiiana shop in the Carlbad shopping center. They are awsome. Joe plays the bongos and the other local boy sings. The drummer is a black dude with dreds and 2 white dudes on bass guitar. I have the name on the tip of my tounge. They are awsome! Squid Joes is a cool place to have a drink too. They have Tikis outside. If anyone ever gets a chance to go, you gotta check those boys out! I hope that helps ya a little Bong.

Aloha

Original Ska, brother (ca. 1963)! Lord Creator, Winston Samuel, Jimmy Cliff...

J

You look at the original ska from the Studio One label - that is the s*&%!! Roland Alphonso, Tommy McCook, Alton Ellis, Derrick Harriott, The Maytals, just to name a few...some of the greatest artists and music ever recorded in my opinion...But the unusual thing is that the rhythms created way back in the early to mid 60's were the foundation for so much Jamaican music until now.

The main era of reggae I collect is early 1980's dancehall especially anything produced by Henry "Junjo" Lawes and released on his three main labels - Volcano, Arrival and Jah Guidance. His primary backing band on the majority of his releases were the Roots Radics and they recycled Studio One rhythms and used them extensively on a variety of hits by such diversified artists as Johnny Osbourne, Little John, Sister Nancy, Yellowman, etc. to name a few. Riddims like Full Up, Nanny Goat and Real Rock ruled the dancehall in the early 80's...

Studio One is still recycled today and it just staggers the mind to think of what Coxsone Dodd and his studio have done for reggae and Jamaican music in general...

Just Cool!!

JohnTiki

Greetings to all from The Pi Yi Lenai in luxurious Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2002-09-24 16:34 ]

amen to that brother.long beach dub allstars rule the planet!!!

When I carve on the weekends, I listen to some local radio stations. Latin tropical music on klxu(?) from loyola university from 6 to 6, and on sunday nights on 100.3 I seem to do my best carving to the dancehall music.

I left one of my old dread locks in Bob's mosalium (sp) in the parish of Nine Miles.(back in 93') Mrs. Boo & I had this 9' kid as our tour guide who was stoned out of his mind . If you ever go to Jamaica, go to Nine Miles and check it out. We also got a personal tour (our cab driver's cousin was the grounds keeper of the compound) of Keith Richards house in Ocho Rios. We didn't know the exchange rate's differ every day so we were treated very well when we were tipping 20% everyday. We also went to Irie fm radio. Very cool. I taped a bunch of radio from Irie fm. Then traded my blaster for a carved plaque. While in Jamaica, don't ask any of the beach boys about Peter Tosh. While we were in Barbados 89' there was a local named Dr. D, who ran the beach and was pure rasta. He noticed my dreads and called them "attenas to wisdom". Ahhh. good memories.
Burning Spear, Ras Michael, Roots,Dub, Oldies, Newies, ect. It's all good!! Reggae Sundays.

J

On 2002-09-26 08:31, bamboo ben wrote:
While in Jamaica, don't ask any of the beach boys about Peter Tosh.

Why not? I know Tosh was really self-absorbed, as well as paranoid and just a little ecentric. Has anyone seen the documentary Stepping Razor - Red X about the life and death of Peter Tosh? They used a lot of these personal tape recordings Tosh had made and he just came across as being really bizarre...If anyone is into Tosh they should check this out - it's one of the most compelling documentaries I've ever seen.

They got real "bent" when we asked about Tosh back then. I'm sure it's changed over time.

Did anyone ever go to the O.N. Club on Sunset in Silverlake back in the '80's? They had some great reggae and ska bands playing there every weekend. Also poured Red Stripe beer. As far as Jawaiian music goes, I'm not too sure I've been exposed. I've heard slack key like Sonny Chillingsworth and contemporary Hawaiian pop like Cecillio & Kapono and Kalapana. Even Hawaiian blues (Taj Mahal & the Hula Blues Band).

Check out the new "Dub Side of the Moon" cd. It's Pink Floyds dark side all done in a "Dub" kinda way! Well worth it! Very, well, worth it!

Another one, go to putumayo.com, then click "Our Catalog", then click "Caribbean", then "Jamaica", then "Midnight in Ethiopia" by Rico. But you'll have to buy it to hear it all and it's worth it too.

E

King Tubby, Augustus Pablo, and for something a lil' different, Axiom (Bill Laswell's label) has some very cool dub.

Alla dem ting, yunno. Like me fren Rez sez, dem bwai had fe use Melodica becaa dem couldn't affard Hammand B-Tree argan! Dem was a poor mon from de ghetto!

irie,
emspace.

M
Mambo posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2003 6:59 PM

Yea Mon!

Hey Ben,
Was dub side what I heard at your place this morning? I was kinda mentally impaired due to last nights festivities, but I remember hearing some pink floyd that didn't really sound like pink floyd. Whatever it was it sounded good. Whos the artist(s)? Don't tell me it's the Dread Zeppelins. I ain't goin' for it!

Hey Ship! Glad you made it home safe. Yes. Dub side of the Moon is what it was. My brain won't let me think of who the artists are. Man. Damage! Off to the hang overpost for some cures!! I got to get some new eyes! I think I'm blind!

T

Great call Ben. Just got my copy today. It's by the Easy Star All-Stars. Got mine on Amazon.

Turbo,
Like the intro to Money?

T

What is that noise? I can't put my finger on it, I know I've heard it before.

On your next visit to San Diego a stop at Trade Roots Reggae http://www.traderootsreggae.com is a must. Not to mention it's on Rosecrans St. (right on the way to the Bali Hai) off I-5, just before Sports Aroma Blvd. If you blink, you'll miss it.

"All my clothes are funky mon, so I will take dem to the laundrymat and Jah will make dem clean" - Down at the Laundrymat by Black Randy & the Metrosquad from "pass the dust, I think I'm Bowie"

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-04-29 21:00 ]

Symarip. 1969, England, the height of the original skinhead craze. The bridge between Rock Steady and Reggae. "Skinhead Moonstomp","These Boots are made for Walking","Skinhead Girl","Long Shot Kick de Bucket"."Put your braces together, and your boots on your feet". The shit.

On 2003-03-29 02:14, Jungle Trader wrote:
Another one, go to putumayo.com, then click "Our Catalog", then click "Caribbean", then "Jamaica", then "Midnight in Ethiopia" by Rico. But you'll have to buy it to hear it all and it's worth it too.

When I saw the word "putumayo" I had to check it out. I went to the site and learned that the founder, Dan Storper, had visited the jungles of the Putumayo about three years after I had spent a month there. It's a rather enchanting place. No wonder he named his enterprise after it.

In 1971, I started out from a place called Mocoa in the eastern cordillera foothills of southern Colombia with a few fellow international relations student companions. First, we went overland to go down the Caquetá River that borders the Department of Putumayo on the north. We embarked from a small village on a tributary of the Caquetá catching a ride with a Comerciante (Jungle Trader). After a couple of weeks going down river we stopped at a riverside jungle air base (Tres Esquinas) and flew south to a big town on the Putumayo River (Puerto Leguízamo). There we hired another Jungle Trader (one of their businesses is water taxi) to take us upriver for a couple of weeks until we reached Mocoa where we'd started.

Couldn't make that same trip today without probably being kidnapped by guerillas and held for ransom. Early 70s was the perfect time there. Thought you might be amused.

Hey Gnomon, anymore stories of your jungle experience? I dig 'em.
"Midnight in Ethiopa" by Rico is one of my all time fave instrumentals. Listen to it loud with herb.....or not.

Preferably with!! Rico Rodriguez is a pioneer, he's been there from the start. He was taught by the legendary Don Drummond, trombonist of The Skatalites. He's played with almost everyone, from Prince Buster in the early days, to The Specials in the 2-Tone era, and beyond. A true legend in his own right.

U-Roy!

S

I was a regular listener to SATURDAY'S A PARTY ( The longest-running reggae-politics mix (RPM) in the USA. Den de Dubwise playyyyyyy, it play, it play!!! Hosted by Lister Hewan-Lowe. Noon-3pm ) on WUSB out of Stonybrook , Univ. way back when before I came to Japan in 1985 . 12 noon to 3 reggae music play ...it play it play !

I taped a lot of shows so have a nice mix here with me in Japan albeit on cassette tape .

On 2007-08-22 13:56, Jungle Trader wrote:
Hey Gnomon, anymore stories of your jungle experience? I dig 'em.
"Midnight in Ethiopa" by Rico is one of my all time fave instrumentals. Listen to it loud with herb.....or not.

Lots. The aforementioned month in the upper Amazon basin was my only truly jungle trip. Living in Bogotá, there was also the periodic weekend excursion to tierra caliente which is jungle-like. Most people would think of that as jungle from the lush foliage.

The true jungle also has its share of lush foliage, especially, close to the rivers, but a lot of it consists of huge trees that shoot up a couple hundred feet with all of their foliage up there in the canopy, where they can get sunlight. Anyway, my month in the jungle was two weeks going downstream (el Caquetá) in a giant dugout canoe with dual outboard motors; then two weeks chugging upstream (el Putumayo) in a covered cargo boat.

Being that the transportation was provided by Comerciantes (Jungle Traders), besides stopping overnight tying up to trees along the river banks in the middle of nowhere, we'd lay up for a couple of days here and there when we came to a village where the Comerciante did trading business. We'd find out how much time we had to explore (usually 1 – 2 days), then my friends and I would head out into the surrounding countryside, which was sometimes jungle farmland, otherwise, just jungle. Almost got lost a couple of times. When you get out into the tall trees sometimes all directions look the same, plus it's hard to gauge where you are by the sun, which is just a broad glow up above the canopy.

Each day was an adventure. Some days moreso than others.

As for "Midnight in Ethiopia," listen to it loud with or without herb, or listen to it with herb loud or not loud?

come on, how about stories of near death, ya' know, jaguars, panthers, hallucinogenic vines, poisonous frogs, giant anteaters with tremendously huge claws, man-eating ants, footrot, hostile natives, etc.................huh? forget reggae, I'm derailing ben's thread.

TG

I've lost more Frisbees in the jungle than most people have ever owned. It's immediate heartbreak. You see the thing headed in the direction of the water and you get the sense it might be uncatchable and go in. Everyone takes off for it in hopes that it will hang in a tree before it drops, but then you get there just in time to watch it sink beneth the surface of the muddy river. Way upstream there's some hope; where the rapids are and the waters are clear. But when you get down into the real jungle river, it's all muddy. No way anyone is stupid enough to jump in after a Frisbee in waters that aren't recognized by the locals as safe to swim. If they do not go into the water, gringos don't go into the water. Losing a Frisbee is traumatic. Transporting it all that distance from the US, great memories of fantastic throws, then it's gone in a flash.

Anyway, at one village where we lost a Frisbee we stayed for a couple of days and the first day went out exploring. A couple of places along a river road that extended along what I guess you'd call pasture, we'd find these big holes in the ground that ran underneath the pasture. Obviously, they were entrances to some burrowing animals home. We were curious as to what animal lived there so, in keeping with our habit of disturbing the wildlife for the sake of enlightenment, we pushed long sticks down into the holes to see what would come out, if anything. We all carried peinillas (Spanish for comb. It's what the bandoleros used to call their machetes...for when they parted the hair of their enemies). We hoped to never need to use them for defense, but we had them if that ever happened. Nothing ever popped out of the holes. We then continued out past the pastures into some of the forest.

Later when we returned to the village, everyone was celebrating. There lying dead, stretched out in the main street was a 40-50 foot anaconda, the one that lived in the holes we were probing. Ooops! Lucky us! Kinda of took the edge off the bummer of losing a Frisbee. As it turns out, that serpent had been wreaking havoc making off with village cattle from time to time. It is a big deal getting cattle into those remote farms in the first place. They have to be brought in by dugout canoe, so you can imagine how determined the villagers were to catch the thing. Its head was over a foot long and it was about a foot in diameter at its largest spot. We were quite relieved. Especially, since we'd scoped out a campsite not far from one of those big holes.

OK, other than the fact that some of the people we met didn't like foreigners and would just as soon whack you and toss you in the river where you'd never be seen again, that's as close to any near death experience I had in the jungle, at least that I know about. The jungle has a thousand eyes.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-09-04 12:50 ]

Saw the name Oshen posted here
The wife and I ran into him on one of our Oahu trips
Funny part is that I was listening to him on my I-phone when we saw him...
Great music

jon

TM

I used to really dislike reggae....well, maybe "dislike" is too strong a work...perhaps "indifferent" would be a better word. Though I like the bass parts, that was about all I liked about the genre. (I also felt the same way about surf...like the sound of a twangy guitar with reverb, but overall....not for me.)

Anyway, I always figured I would really, really dislike Jawaiian music...but found myself actually liking it more and more.

I'm not a fan of reggae, but I thought some TC people might like this picture. It's Alpha Blondy who will be performing on Easter Island.

Pages: 1 35 replies