Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hong Kong Inn-Ventura,Ca

Pages: 1 37 replies

After the Primer Nationals Mrs.Fury and I went to the Hong Kong Inn for the Polynesian Revue. We had not been to the restaurant for quite a while as we found the food average but remembered the flaming Volcano Bowl was good. This time we just had appetizers (Potstickers and Foil Chicken were good, eggrolls were bad and greasy) and drinks.

Established in 1964

The Scorpion was not great.....had a heavy cherry flavor....

Lapu Lapu was worse.....heavy on coconut flavor.....

Drink prices reasonable.....but I think the bartender makes up his own recipes. Will have to return for Mai Tais etc.

Well........it ain't the Mai Kai but it's better than nothing. The Polynesian Revue started out as cheesy as a Don Ho show, a couple of pop songs then some beautifully sung Hawaiian songs. The singers were from Tonga and Samoa. The dancers were pretty good, especially the kids (8-10 years old). The show lasted about an hour and a half, no cover except drinks are 20% higher during the show. They had 3 or 4 carved Tikis near the stage. Not many people there. No tipsy factor......typical Chinese decor. The stage is in the bar and is separated from the restaurant by a plastic folding curtain that they open for the show (9:00pm). We had a good time......felt like a couple of tourists.

I have not seen the show, but I will stop by every now and then on my way back to the "Goodland" from Los Angeles. I have had the owner make drinks for me and the have been pretty good. It's not Tiki Ti, but I dig the retro feel. It reminds me of the first Chinese restaurant that I ever ate in, hence the foil chicken and greasy egg rolls.

Cheers,

KT

Eesh...that Lapu Lapu looks like some kinda wierd New England Clam Chowder. Bottoms up!!

L

On 2004-10-26 23:48, donhonyc wrote:
Eesh...that Lapu Lapu looks like some kinda wierd New England Clam Chowder. Bottoms up!!

aaah yes. nuthin like an exotic drink made by someone who cares not for the classic recipes, served in an old OOA bowl, graced with plastic orchids...
whaddya gonna do?!

At least the Polynesian Revue had real Polynesians and some drinks do come in Tiki mugs/bowls. We liked the show. I think the Clam Chowder look was the coconut froth. Not much Tiki between Santa Barbara and L.A.-KT stop by sometime on your way back to the Goodland.

L

On 2004-10-27 14:52, bongofury wrote: Not much Tiki between Santa Barbara and L.A.-KT stop by sometime on your way back to the Goodland.

well, there is some in Ventura, and parts south and along PCH before L.A. proper, but it is hidden.

H

Hey Bongofury! Those look like blacklights over the stage. It's hard to tell in the photo, but are those Hula dancers wearing flourescent orange?

Yes! They also had lime green and changed costumes for almost every dance.

L

On 2004-10-27 15:10, Hakalugi wrote:
Hey Bongofury! Those look like blacklights over the stage.

As I recall, those are flourescent tube lights with semi-clear blue plastic covering them...

Soccer Tiki and I decided to take a detour on our way home from Monterey and stay in Ventura for the night. We saw that the Hong Kong Inn was listed in Tiki Road Trip (pg.33) so we decided to give it a try. Little did we know what we had in store for us: Great Food served the Traditional Chinese Style, a Cocktail Menu Full of Classic Tiki Drinks,Great Service, and one of the Best Polynesian Shows that I have ever seen. What a Treat!!! The owners James Kwan and Thomas Kwan went out of their way to make our visit tiki-rrific. If you are ever in the area on a Friday or Saturday Night this is a MUST STOP!! The show starts at 9:00pm and lasts about a 1 1/2 hours. Here's some pics of our night:

Old School Ceramic Clam Shell Bowls are used to serve drinks in

The Mai Tai came with Floating Plastic Orchids in a Cool Chinese Dragon Glass (Which are available for purchase)

The Polynesian Show is put on by Tina's Ports of Paradise. Tina along with her husband playing the drums, and her son playing the Tahitian Drum are accompanied by about 20 dancers that take you on a journey through the South Pacific. The show was spectacular. The Vainuku Ohana treated us like we were part of their Ohana.

The Kong Kong Inn is located at: 435 E. Thomas Blvd, Ventura
Phone # (805)648-3161

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-07-08 12:50 ]

Kitschy and wonderful.

The sign viewed at night.

An article from 1972 with the history back to 1964 - oldest Chinese restaurant in Ventura County.

Some entertainment from back in the day.

Look forward to John-O's field trip in March.

DC

T

The Hong Kong Inn is closing it's doors for good on Nov 30th :(

The owners are retiring.

End of an era. Sorry to ruin your Monday.

Ugh! Should've gone there on my trip!

Farewell message at this link...

Hong Kong Inn

:left: The message from the link on the previous page.

"Hong Kong Inn
Chinese Restaurant - Since 1964

After 48 wonderful years, 100,000 Scorpions and Mai Tais, 3,600 Polynesian revues, 10 children, and 15 grandchildren, the Hong Kong Inn of Ventura will be closing its doors on November 30, 2012.

We’re retiring!

Jimmy and Carrie Kwan and Tommy and Connie Kwan, along with the entire Kwan family, would like to thank their employees, customers and friends, and the Ventura community for their support and patronage. Hong Kong Inn started as the immigrant dreams of two brothers and grew into generations of happiness, friendships, triumphs and indelible memories.

Thank you.

Hong Kong Inn
435 East Thompson Blvd.
Ventura, CA 93001
(805) 648-3161"

:cry:

I guess none of the kids want to run it now?

T

On 2012-11-26 20:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Bummer. :(

So sorry to hear! CeCe and I are heading up tomorrow- gotta have them ono grinds and bad drinks one mo time.
T Y, King B, B B, mahalo for the heads up
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-11-26 20:14 ]

Bummer indeed. I'm really glad John-O organized the trip up there this past March. Those are some great memories to hang on to.

kevin

J

On 2012-11-26 20:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Sorry ATP, I grew up with enough Chinese American kids to know that ain't gonna happen. In fact the HKI owners' niece and nephew are close friends of mine who "slaved" in the 3rd sibling's Chinese restaurant back in Massachusetts.

Trust me, kids who had to work for free in the family business and then were expected to get straight A's just so they could attend a good university ain't gonna go back to serving chop suey. The real happy ending would be if the Chinese immigrant or Mexican bus boy who stuck it out to become manager bought the place out. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. :(

Uncle Jimmy and Uncle Tommy, take the money and run !! You deserve it. :)

My better half wanted to visit the HKI one mo time . On Tue.s we had a drink in the bar, had their delicious grinds in the dining room and reminisced about the wonderful time we had with fellow TC'ers (thanx John-o) last time we were there. Had more very good ( I take back my negative comments about their drinks) tropical drinks in the bar afterwards and we had a delightful conversation with Jimmy Kwan,owner of HKI. Nice,nice gentleman.Very interesting. When Jimmy left for the evening his brother Tommy took over bar-tending duties.Tommy also regaled us with some interesting and amusing stories. Turns out Tommy is a Viet Nam vet. My hat's off to him. We closed the place and walked (sorta) back to the Crowne Plaza . Next day we went back for lunch and of course another yummy "Chinese Itch" Btw, anyone have the recipe?
We sadly bade farewell to these two amazing gentlemen-but not before wishing them the best in the next chapter of their lives.
Two mores day's until the HKI will be no more. Open for lunch and dinner tomorrow and Friday-get there if you can.
Cheers
PS unfortunately there is no Polynesian review on Fri.
Jimmy Kwan at work.

Tommy Kwan and HIs other half. Regretfully, I did not get her name-Chime in if you know it John-0. She's a lovely lady.

This is the bar in ambient light using a tripod and "enhanced" on my Mac..

This is the Pi-Yi,made famous by John-0's bus ride to the HKI with those crazy TC'er's. We were enhanced and needed a tripod the previous night.

So, this Friday is the last day. Mrs. Dustycajun and I are heading down after work for one lat Pi-Yi and eggroll happy hour. Anybody from the 805 up for a meet and greet around 5:30?

DC

RR

On 2012-11-29 17:37, Dustycajun wrote:
So, this Friday is the last day. Mrs. Dustycajun and I are heading down after work for one lat Pi-Yi and eggroll happy hour. Anybody from the 805 up for a meet and greet around 5:30?

DC

I know I'll be there. Just not sure what time.

Well, we made it to the Hong Kong Inn for the last night on Friday. The place was crowded with guests coming to say good bye, including Mr. and Mrs. Bongo Fury.

Mr. Jimmy behind the bar one more time after 58 years of mixing.

Got to talk to Jimmy for a few minutes, he shared stories of moving to Ventura in 1958, starting the restaurant and sending all of his children through college.

Tried the Scorpion bowl.

And the Lapu Lapu with the Hong Kong Inn Fantasy appetizer special

Grabbed a few keepsakes.

End of an era.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2012-12-03 13:10 ]

Dusty, I asked Jimmy what he put into the Scorpion (he said"rum.whiskey, and gin"). I tried it and I liked it.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-12-03 17:35 ]

T

I was driving by the Hong Kong Inn about a week or 2 ago, and it was all lit up with a big sign that said "Reopening Soon"!!!!

T295, My friend in Ventura nosed around the HKI and he’s of the opinion that the opening of the restaurant is at least 8 months away. Wish it was sooner.
Cheers
Btw, there is a strong feeling among those he spoke with that the dance troupe would be returning.

M

On March 15, VCS (Ventura County Star) Eats posted:

Hong Kong Inn has reopened under new management in Downtown Ventura, bringing back the flaming cocktails, the red wall phone and the Tinas Ports of Paradise Polynesian Dance Production revues (at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays) from the old, pre iPhone days.
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/mar/15/cafe-society-so-long-eric-ericssons-and-thanks/

There's a photo on the VCS Facebook page too:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151935355891561

On 2014-03-23 20:11, MauiRose wrote:
On March 15, VCS (Ventura County Star) Eats posted:

Hong Kong Inn has reopened under new management in Downtown Ventura, bringing back the flaming cocktails, the red wall phone and the Tinas Ports of Paradise Polynesian Dance Production revues (at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays) from the old, pre iPhone days.
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/mar/15/cafe-society-so-long-eric-ericssons-and-thanks/

Excellent news.

T

Best news all day! Too bad I already have dinner on the stove. We've been getting takeout from the HKI since we moved here in the late 60's. Flavors of my childhood

T

Here are some pictures from the Grand Opening today. Auntie Tina of Tina's Polynesian Review (floor show for 25 years) cut the ribbon, along with city officials and downtown chamber of commerce. Complimentary lychee mojitos were passed around and a great spread of food. Sample of the floorshow featuring Auntie Tina's son and granddaughter (Tina II), who are resuming their Friday and Saturday night residency.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Straightened the picture. - 2014-05-31 07:31 ]

T

Kila says "best Mai tais ever"

My bruddah from Reno and a mutual friend who lives in Ventura went to the inn last Friday. My bruddah loved it and our mutual friend said it was as good as when the Kwan family ran it. Said the navy grog was good. Gotta get up there soon and check it out!
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-04-13 21:14 ]

The show looks good, too.

WooHoo! It sounds like it's time for Another Roadtrip to The Hong Kong Inn :)

J

Hmmm... Before Oasis or after ??

I was there about two weeks back and think it's better then ever. Drinks are decent and the hula show is pretty great. They have their own scorpion bowl mix they do and it's good!!! :D.

Pages: 1 37 replies