Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

1st tiki done!...

Pages: 1 15 replies

...well, as much as I'm gonna work on it anyway. Got to learn the tools on this one, and learned a LOT!
For a stain, I tried using Winsor-newton oil paint with turpentine, worked ok.
Now I have to learn tool sharpening, and find more wood!
Thanks for all the advice!

Great style!

I never would've thought about using oil paint! Kudos for keeping it new!
-FB

Nice lines. Really nice first atempt. What kind of wood is that?

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-10-29 20:06 ]

very nice tiki....especially for the first
one outta the chute....you quit working on
him at a great time!

Outstanding! Now that crack doesn't look so bad after all. You have a real knack for design. If this is your first, I can't wait to see the second.

A-A

B

I Agree, this one is great for first and Can't wait to see the next one. Keep'em comin'

Nice job on the first one, cape cod surfer! (how's nauset beach these days?)

Very cool... Hard to believe it's your first!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-11-01 22:28 ]

Thanks, youz guys.
Raffer- twas that beechwood that I shoulda never used...cracked.
Poly- Nauset bites. Coast Guard Bch has been kicking though. We had a nor'easter offshore for a week, which brought us 6-8' waves! Must be from the tiki gods...I'll be damned, it works!

B

Hey Surfintiki, isn't it about time foe another tiki?? Are you holding out on us?

yeah, surfintiki you are the tiki emassary for cape cod - you need to carve large tikis and place them in places where people will see them and gawk.

alright, alright! You guys are funny.
Obviously, you don't realize the scope of the problem here! I need WOOD! Still haven't been able get a good source. I went off Cape to a hardwood mill open to the public...all small stuff mostly...pieces of cherry, basswood and the likes. I pickd up these mini 3"x3" pieces of cherry, which carves nice. But when I carved it into a Maori, it started to like some male anatomy! Har-har...take a look...

B

Well, you carve what you can find. It is a Cool lookin Moai despite the unusual resemblances. More...

MD

Who's this guy? Man you step away from this site for a few weeks and all this talent starts popping up. Geeezzz.
Great work Mr. Surfin'....

great work indeed

That tiki's giving me envy!

Pages: 1 15 replies