Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

My new recording of Quiet Village

Pages: 1 6 replies

I have played a number of instruments in a number of styles but, despite my love for the genre, I have never played any Exotica...until now. Here is a recording that I have been working on for a number of weeks- a rendition of Quiet Village. Instead of recording vocal impressions of exotic animal and jungle sounds, I used real recordings. I know this may turn off purists, and I have always loved the cool "cheese" factor of the impressions, but I thought it would allow me to give a more unique sound. Does anyone know if this has been done before (I'm sure it has)?

Anyway, I want to do more of this, and maybe write some original stuff, so any feedback/constructive criticism is welcome.
Thanks

http://www.raylindsley.com/Quiet_Village.mp3

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki on 2004-10-30 09:55 ]

Ray,
I love it!
Great start if that's your first attempt at exotica.
BTW, the animal sounds are brilliantly placed. However, if you EVER need live animal noises, I'm yer man!
Thanks for sharing it w/ us!
Chris

nice job...like the other tunes on your
website too....could be inside secret..
but did you do the percussion on Quiet
Village or is it a drum track? Sounds
good!

On 2004-10-30 10:27, Tiki Chris wrote:
Ray,
I love it!
Great start if that's your first attempt at exotica.
BTW, the animal sounds are brilliantly placed. However, if you EVER need live animal noises, I'm yer man!
Thanks for sharing it w/ us!
Chris

Thanks for the encouragement Chris- start practicing your bird calls. We definitely need to plan another get-together. Maybe the cuban place in Hoboken.

On 2004-10-30 12:03, congatiki wrote:
nice job...like the other tunes on your
website too....could be inside secret..
but did you do the percussion on Quiet
Village or is it a drum track? Sounds
good!

Thanks. All of the sounds, including the percussion are samples played out on the keyboard (not loops or sequenced tracks). For the congas, I have a sample set that lays out all possible articulations on the keyboard- open strikes, palm mutes, slaps, finger taps, etc. and I play the keyboard using the appropriate articualtion. I've gone out and bought instructional books for the various instruments so I can learn to play like someone playing the actual instrument. I do the various exercises in the book on the keyboard to get the technique down, so I can approach the track the way a real instrumentalist would.

For some things, though, I use the actual instrument rather than samples. For example one of the slow jazz piano tunes has brushed drums. I have a nice Pearl maple shell snare and the snare brush "swirls" are played ont the snare and miked. I have never foud samples that sounded right for those. I also play guitar and saxophone- two other instruments that don't work in the sample world.

One of these days I need to pick up some real congas, though- I bet they would be more fun to play.

C

congas are fun to play...but after a few
years I still have a hard time achieving
perfect tone for any reasonable length of
tune...your 'congas' sounded very precise...
thus I thought they might be from a keyboard.
Nice effort at any rate.

TC

We definitely need to plan another get-together. Maybe the cuban place in Hoboken.

Urban,
Yep.
How does Friday the 26th or Saturday the 27th of November sound? Otherwise it'll have to be December (Friday the 3rd?) for me.

Pages: 1 6 replies