Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Ragin' Rarotongan's signiture Tilapia recipe

Pages: 1 5 replies

Start with 1 Tilapia fillet per person
Juice of 1 orange or tangerine
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
freshly grated ginger(about 1/2 to 3/4 of 1 root.
soy sauce(about 1-2 oz)
sesame oil(about 1-2 oz)
honey(liberal amount)
dried parsley(maybe 1tbsp or so)
salt and pepper
1 bermuda(purple onion) cut into bite size pieces
mandarin orange segments

1)oil the fish up with sesame oil and salt and pepper the fillets
2) in a bowl mix all citrus juices, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, parsley, and honey
3) place fillets in a glass pyrex dish along with mandarin oranges and bermuda onions
4) cover with cirus/ginger marinade and bake in a 350-375 degree oven until fish is cooked through roughly 30-45 minutes

You can serve with your favorite rice and grilled vegetables.

I forgot to mention to also add some of the grated zest from the peels off the citrus fruits to the marinade as well, before pouring over the fish. You can also add minced garlic as well if you would like, which I usually do.

Aaron

That sounds delicious! Have you ever tried the marinade with other meats, vegetables, etc.?
-FB

D

Looks like a good marinade for chicken or pork,also.

Sorry for the slow response guys, I just bought a house in Ocala, and have been packing alot and haven't hads time to check in TC. No I haven't tried with any other meat, I love to cook, and made this recipe up one night while trying to figure out what to do with tilapia other than the typical lemon and butter. I imagine it would be good on chicken or some nice lean pork, I will have to try it. Freakbear, when I get settled I want to try that fish roll recipe you posted.

Aaron

F

Hey Ragin',

Try Old-Bay! It's a sort of all-in-one seasoning I've found that's great on tilapia. It's got a lot of the staple Carribean spices (Allspice, Thyme, etc.) in it.

Best of luck on the move!
-FB

Pages: 1 5 replies