Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Exotica/Surf music anywhere in LA Nov. 4 or 5?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Z

I'll be heading out to LA at the end of this week for a conference. I'll be in town Thurs night(Nov 4th) and Friday night (Nov 5th). Friday I was planning on visiting the Tiki-Ti, but thought I would check with you SoCal TCers if anyone knows of any exotica or surf music being played on Thurs/Fri? I'm staying at LAX but will have a car. In fact, I planning on cutting out of my seminar at lunch on Friday so I can do a little exploring (visit some more apartment complexes).

Zulu, if no one knows of anything specific grab a copy of the LA Weekly & check the Calendar section. That's usually the most up-to-date listing concert & club in the LA area. The paper comes out on Thursday & it's free.

H

ZuluMagoo, it sounds like the place you'll want to be on Friday is San Diego, a two-hour drive if you head out early enough to miss traffic:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11303&forum=11&7

kick_the_reverb's new band is playing. It should be fantastic. I can't make it myself, but you should try to go if you can. You could hit the San Diego tiki spots for dinner before the show pretty easily--your options are Bali Hai (which is near Humphrey's Half-Moon Inn and Trader Mort's), The Islands (which is in the Red Lion Hanalei), or the new Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge. I don't know the geography of San Diego to know what works best logistically, but since you could head down there early and kick_the_reverb's show will probably be late, you could probably hit a few of these. Mister Tiki's may be crazy since it's a Friday night, parking could be a pain in the keister... my personal choice would be to hit The Islands as I have a weakness for it despite its kinda crummy drinks.

B

Hey ZM.....not much in L.A. unless you will be here til Saturday.....in Hermosa Beach at Lucy's, not far from LAX.....

The Boardwalkers
The Detonaters
Pollo Del Mar
Insect Surfers

Just a little correction to BongoFury's info, it's actually at Suzy's.
The address is:
1411 Aviation Blvd.
Hermosa Beach, CA
(310) 379-8020
The corner of Aviation & Prospect, Hermosa Beach, CA

My wife and I are certainly going to be there.
Ran

P.S. Humuhumu - thanks for the promotion and kind words.

Thanks kick_the_reverb for the correction. I could not remember the name. If all goes well today we also may be there tonight.

Pages: 1 5 replies