Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Saw Duran Duran's Arena movie on VH1cl last night...

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

...what the hell was that movie about? I mean seriously. I turned the TV off with this whole Jacob's Ladder feeling.

When it comes to Duran Duran movies, I think I'll stick with the 1968 Jane Fonda movie Barbarella.

D

Wasn't that a concert movie of theirs?

I'm sorta ashamed to admit it, but I saw them on that tour. When I first discovered Duran Duran, around 1981or 82... I guess, they still had sort of an underground, undiscovered, not yet in the mainstream image with 'Planet Earth' and 'Girls On Film' and all that. Next thing you know these guys are being touted as the 'New Beatles' because all the young chicks were going ape-shit over them. So I guess when I saw them i was making up for lost time, even though at that time they had become....oh what would be the saying...um, a 'p*ssy band'...excuse my French. So much for the New Romantic underground image, eh?

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-11-07 00:52 ]

Duran Duran arrived on the scene (here in the USA) in the early '80's along with bands like Sieg Sieg Sputnik, Haysi Fantayzee, Culture Club, Flock of Seagulls, Haircut 100, Adam Ant & WHAMM just in time to catch the 1st BIG music video wave with the birth of MTV. Those flashy (and fleshy) music videos probably weren't single handedly responsible for these band's success but they didn't hurt.

Was this the documentary shot on their 1984 American tour? (Yeah, I admit I saw them then too.)

T

No it wasn't "Sing Blue Silver" this was a concert with some kind of Sci Fi crap thrown in.

On 2004-11-08 04:46, Turbogod wrote:
No it wasn't "Sing Blue Silver" this was a concert with some kind of Sci Fi crap thrown in.

Oh, that film! I've never seen it, only heard of it. If somebody has a copy of this, we ought to have a double-bill showing with the Star Wars Holiday Special. Eeeek! :lol:

T

Ummmm.. buried deep in the vaults of my Sunland archival headquarters - I may just have a crappy copy on VHS....

Not that I liked them enough to tape it back in the 80s or anything.... erhermmm....

T

"Sing Blue Silver" is actually a fairly competent and interesting documentary of a band on the road in the 80s.

That "Arena" thing, which does indeed combine concert footage with some sort of incomprehensible sci fi plot is a complete disaster.Wish I could be around (or maybe not) for the viewing of Arena and SW Holiday Special back to back. Let me know if anyone survives.

Pages: 1 8 replies