Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

christmas in tikiville

Pages: 1 27 replies

hey guys any good tiki type chritmas albums out there?

K

Outside of the Artthur Lyman LP, now out on CD, there seems little in the way of exotica xmas. A few GREAT Hawaiian instrumental steel guitar LPs are: "Christmas In Hawaii" by The Paradise Serenaders, "A Hawaiian Christmas" by The Sunset Band, and, my personal favorite, "Merry Christmas in Hawaii" by The Waikikis. I've seen them all on eBay from time to time.

K

..oh..how could I forget the lovely CD "Christmas on Big Island" by The Blue Hawaiians. A holiday must-have.

You could try Ultra Lounge Vol 13. Christmas Cocktails

1. Rudolph the red nosed reindeer mambo - May, Billy
  2. Winter wonderland - Lee, Peggy (1)
  3. Christmas trumpets/We wish you a very Merry Christmas - Anthony, Ray (1)
  4. Christmas is - Rawls, Lou
  5. Santa Claus is coming to town/White Christmas - McGriff, Jimmy
  6. I'd like you for Christmas - London, Julie
  7. Holiday on skis - Caiola, Al & Riz Ortolani
  8. Everybody's waitin' for the man with the bag - Starr, Kay
  9. Jingle bells/Jingle bell rock - Hollyridge Strings
  10. I've got my love to keep me warm - Martin, Dean
  11. I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus/Jingle Bells bosa nova - Dunstedter, Eddie
  12. Christmas kisses - Anthony, Ray (1)
  13. I'll be home for Christmas/Baby it's cold outside - Gleason, Jackie & Jack Marshall
  14. What are you doing New Year's Eve - Wilson, Nancy
  15. Cha cha all the way - Capitol Studio Orchestra
  16. Christmas song (Merry Christmas to you) - Cole, Nat 'King'
  17. Nutcracker suite - Brown, Les & His Band Of Renown
  18. Ring those Christmas bells - Waring, Fred & His Pennsylvanians
  19. Violets for your furs - Continental
  20. Tag - Unknown Artist
  21. Capitol promo - Unknown Artist

I have an LP by Al Caiola, one of my favourite guitar players. It was available for downlod a while back:

from the exotica mailing list:
“Our pal Milwaukee John has put on his Santa's hat and encoded a really top
notch xmas LP he would like to share with us. Its by Al Caiola and Riz
Ortolani called "The Sound of Christmas." A most excellent album - thanks
MJ :)“

You'll also find a new space age pop LP to check out, Big Sam and his Alto
Sax with arrangements by Charles Albertine, "Sounds in the Night."

Finally, whistler Fred Lowery's scarce private label (Gra-Low) Christmas LP,
"A Family
Christmas."

It has a very home spun feel to it - as if he and his local Texas church
goers decided to cut a record. So besides his whistling, you'll hear choirs
and teen solos as well as a reading of "Letter to Virginia."

All of this and more, here:

Basic Hip Digital Oddio
http://www.basichip.com

Next Xmas download: Jack Webb - A Christmas Story

http://mailman.xmission.com/pipermail/exotica/2003-December/013408.html

S

Just off the top of my head...

Leon Redbone "Christmas Island" (just the one song is tiki/Hawaiian related, but it's fun to hear him do the others)

Christmas Party with Eddie G. hs "Mele Kalikimaka" with some old Hawaii type radio spots thrown in.

Martin Denny "Exotic Night" on Christmas Cocktails volume 2. (Get 1 and 2, they're great!)

Not tiki, but if you find Lavay Smith's "Everybody's talking about Miss Thing" you'll find a cool version of Winter Wonderland hidden at the end.

cheers!

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-11-08 13:43 ]

Don Ho has a christmas album too, and although it's not hawaiian at all (which was a real bummer) it does have his sweet baritone singin' along...

I think the orchestra was directed by Nelson Riddle too, but I'd have to check to make sure...

You may want to check dancing cat's website (mr. new-age-piano-man George Winstons label) because he puts out all the new hawaiian slack Key guitar greats. I'm sure there's at least one good x-mas album available
http://www.dancingcat.com/

Ventures have a kick-ass surf x-mas album too. I'll need to go home and check out my other ones...I can't think of off the top of my head

Yeah i have the two orginal christmas cocktails hell i have th ewhole ultra lounge set also have the al hirt xmas cd not tiki but great space age pop christmas also have the esquivel christmas cd i love that one play it the most also have the harry belfonte xmas cd wich is also cool.i guess there is not alot of good classis lounge tiki out ther any more i have all the ray conniff cd's and percy faitth and more that are more lounge xmas so i guess i have alot of the cool stuff form the 50's. 60's and 70's in the mail today i got sound of christmas by the ramsey lewis trio it's a great early 60's xmas cd you guys should check it out it was just reissued by verve records

We just inherited a box set of 78s from 1953 entitled: "Christmas with Arthur Godfrey And all the Little Godfreys"

It features the classic "Mele Kalikimaka" as performed by Haleloke Kahauolopua.

Unfortunately there's no setting on my turntable for 78 speed :(

-FB

I am on the Surf side of Tiki so I really have been liking "Tis the Season with Los Straitjackets". Making it a tradition to see them on their x-mas pageant leg of tour. VIVA!

K

You could try Ultra Lounge Vol 13. Christmas Cocktails

Ultra Lounge just released a new Christmas CD called Ultimate Christmas Cocktails.. It's a box set with Christmas Cocktails Parts 1 & 2 AND Part 3 which is new. It sucks if you've purchased Parts 1 & 2 and have to buy them again to get Part 3. My copies of Parts 1 & 2 are crappy sounding MP3's that I didn't actually "buy" so I'll probably pick this one up. Once I have it maybe I can help my fellow TC'ers "buy" (wink wink) themselves a copy of Part 3 if they already have Parts 1 & 2.

That would be cool wink wink i already own 1 & 2 and just don't have the funds this time of year to pay 30 clams to get part 3

RB

On the Amazon link, did you notice the other CD paired with this set..."Maybe This Christmas Tree"...with Shag cover? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002S94XY/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/104-4803617-2110327?v=glance&s=music
Alternative, not tiki/lounge music, but sounds kinda cool.

T

I love the Ventures Christmas Cds. The old classic and the new one that came out a few years ago are fantastic. Also the Brian Setzer Orchestra's “Boogie Woogie Christmas”. Just in case no one knows, this year the Brian Setzer Christmas Cd has two new songs, "Run Run Rudolph" and "Cactus Christmas". ALSO IF YOU BUY IT AT TARGET you'll get two more songs "Christmas Island" and a new rocking Original "Santa Drives A Hot Rod" The new songs are great. Bought it again and gave my sister my old copy. She might be getting Ultra lounge Christmas Vol 1 and 2 this year as well.

Happy Holidays

V

Watch this space. Major Holiday Exotica Bonanza coming shortly.

Mahalo,

Vic

Listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge
Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2004-11-14 15:28 ]

K

On 2004-11-14 15:27, vegasvic wrote:
Watch this space. Major Holiday Exotica Bonanza coming shortly.

With bated breath VV, bated breath.

Ahu

kewl man can't wait vegasvic rocks

Squirrel Nut Zippers-Christmas Caravan
Asylum Street Spankers-Christmas Spanking

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy-Whatcha' Want For Christmas
Blues Jumpers-Swingin' Holiday

Evan Johns And His H Bombs-Please Mr. Santa Claus
The HoneyDippers- The 12 Days Of Christmas

J

Has everyone heard the version of Christmas Island done by Bob Atcher and the Dinning Sisters on one of the Christmas Cocktails CD's - god that's a great song!!!

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-12-21 22:09 ]

C

At Borders tonight I saw three christmas cd's that I was tempted to buy, It made me feel really old...
Chris Isaak Chrismas
A Chrismas comp with killer SHAG art
LOS STRAIGHTJACKETS CHRISMAS!?!?!??!?!

D

Looking forward to it vegas vic!

heres the x mas online sked from ford over at basic hip-- http://www.basichip.com/
11/29 - 12/02 The Three Suns - A Ding Dong Dandy Christmas
12/02 - 12/05 Jan Garber - Christmas Dance Party
12/05 - 12/08 The Soulful Strings - The Magic of Christmas
12/08 - 12/11 The Six Million Dollar Man - 4 Exciting Christmas Adventures
12/11 - 12/14 Norman Vincent Peale and Patty Duke - Guideposts for Christmas
12/14 - 12/17 Jack Webb - Dragnet: A Christmas Story
12/17 - 12/20 Spike Jones Nutcracker Suite with bonus stocking stuffers
12/20 - 12/23 Lenny Dee - Happy Holi-dee
12/23 - 12/27 Korla Pandit - Christmas with Korla Pandit

really looking forward to the korla pandit record.As far as this years offerings i like the new chris isaak and bb voodoo daddy releases.As far as the cd w/ the shag art,i really dig ROYAL CROWN REVUES tune so ill have to check it out.

viva los straitjackets xmas cd!

[ Edited by: davew on 2004-11-18 14:49 ]

K

Ultra Lounge just released a new Christmas CD called Ultimate Christmas Cocktails. . It's a box set with Christmas Cocktails Parts 1 & 2 AND Part 3 which is new. It sucks if you've purchased Parts 1 & 2 and have to buy them again to get Part 3. My copies of Parts 1 & 2 are crappy sounding MP3's that I didn't actually "buy" so I'll probably pick this one up. Once I have it maybe I can help my fellow TC'ers "buy" (wink wink) themselves a copy of Part 3 if they already have Parts 1 & 2.

Just got my copy!

I sure wish I had Arthur Lyman's "With a Christmas Vibe" CD or Esquivel's "Merry Christmas from the Space Age" CD.

[ Edited by: Juno on 2004-11-24 16:41 ]

V

Happy Thanksgiving and Mele Kalikimaka! to all.

Aloha,

Vic

Listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge
Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2004-11-24 18:57 ]

great album vegas thanks and i do have the arthur lyman and esquivel christmas cd's there are great you can still get the arthur lyman one on amazon for like 10.99 esquivel is kindof more hard to find i lucked out and got it a few years back when it came out but you can also find them on amazon

Here's my collection of Hawaiian Christmas vinyl. I've finally figured out how to convert vinyl to mp3 on my computer, so I think this year I'll finally put together a Tiki Christmas cd of the best cuts. I also have some other albums with one of two Hawaiian Christmas tracks on them that I didn't photograph. For instance, there's an early Lennon Sisters album that has a great version of "Christmas Island" that I would probably include. Then there's Bing Crosby's version of Mele Kalikimaka, and another album with Poncie Ponce of "Hawaiian Eye" fame singing his own version of Mele Kalikimaka. So hard to decide which version would go on the cd.

I own the Don Ho Christmas album too, but have declined to post it here. A big disappointment in my opinion. Nothing Hawaiian-sounding about it.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-11-26 02:07 ]

K

Thanks VV!

Mele Kalikimaka to ya!

Ahu

Resurrecting this old thread because I think I've found something this year that counts as Christmas Exotica. Check out "Christmas In The Congo" by the Marquees from 1959:

http://rapidshare.com/files/8552426/christmascongo.zip.html

By the sound of the opening riff, they were definitely influenced by a certain exotica standard.

Sabu

Pages: 1 27 replies