Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Tea?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I've had a very mild cold over the last 36 hours or so and was hankering for a cocktail, but I knew it was a bad idea. Then I thought 'wait...I have a cold..hot drink..hot buttered rum', but I didn't have the ingredients handy.
So then I thought "I have a cold...tea..rum" So with a little improvisation here's what I came up with.

Take some Darjeeling Tea, or even Celestial Seasonings Green Tea (it seems to have some sort fo fruity twist to it) and mix two ounces Gold Rum (I used Appleton) and one ounce Orgeat, and presto! You actually have a pretty good tasting tea/cocktail minus the guilt of drinking while you are trying to get rid of a cold. Or maybe you're just cold and want something hot to drink. As they used to say on the Alka Seltzer commercials back in the day...."Try it, you'll like it!!" :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-11-13 23:24 ]

T

donhonyc wrote:

I've had a very mild cold over the last 36 hours or so
and was hankering for a cocktail, but I knew it was a
bad idea. Then I thought 'wait...I have a cold..hot
drink..hot buttered rum', but I didn't have the ingre-
dients handy. So then I thought "I have a cold...tea..
rum" So with a little improvisation here's what I came
up with.

Take some Darjeeling Tea, or even Celestial Seasonings
Green Tea (it seems to have some sort fo fruity twist
to it) and mix two ounces Gold Rum (I used Appleton)
and one ounce Orgeat, and presto!

You must have a GREAT MIND if great minds think alike. I
haven't tried it yet (NOT a BIG fan of tea but I like
raspberry tea) but I was beginning to kick around the
idea of a tea-based "tiki" drink and figured I would
search a bit and found yours. I was wondering if anyone
had a tea-based "tribute" to the Tiki Ti (which I have
never been to but it is DEFINATELY on my list of things
to do the next time I'm in LA; haven't been THERE in 20
years but I am DEFINATELY going to make it back again
SOMEDAY).

C

I had a great drink once with tea in it but it really was not very tiki, just good.

Get large pint style beer glass, fill with large ice cubes.
Add a shot or two of lemon flavored vodka.
Fill it with good strong iced tea

Garnish with a lemon wheel.

It is not tiki, but it is refreshing on a hot day.

P.S. If you like rasberry tea, try this with rasberry flavored vodka instead.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2006-04-03 19:39 ]

Hmm... there is just so much potential to play. I know there are already a variety of herbal tea flavored like rum. Wonder what some real rum will do to a flavored herbal tea.

Man, don't feel guilty about drinking while you're sick.

Sure, alcohol is a diuretic, so you need to make sure to drink even more liquids afterward.

But the buzz from the alcohol can often numb the other annoying effects of common sickness, like an achy body, sore throat, or cough. It can even put you to sleep.

I say do it.

DJHS

The Hawaiian Islands Tea Company has flavors such as Mango Maui, Pineapple Waikiki, Coconut Macadamia, Guava Ginseng, Hibiscus Honey Lemon along with many others. The last two would be the most traditional cold remedy flavors.
The boxes for the Pineapple Waikiki and Mango Maui have snippets of Don Blanding poems on them.
You can order them online or buy them at Marukai if you live in California. I bought a box of the Pineapple tea and it's very good.

http://hawaiianislandstea.com/

Pages: 1 5 replies