Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Your top 15 Tiki songs...

Pages: 1 28 replies

If you had to make a CD with say 15 songs...the ULTIMATE tiki CD...what songs would it feature? Lets leave out the usual party faire like Monster Mash and Tiny Bubbles. But do consider that the songs should be commercially available to and easily attainable. I'd like to make this ultimate CD as a gift for my wife! In my mind, these songs evoke the mood of the islands..exotic, mysterious, upbeat, and most of all: fun!

So, lets compile a list!

[ Edited by: dreadpyrat on 2004-11-15 10:44 ]

At the top of my list I would put Les Baxter's "Quiet Village". The problem is which version to choose- it has been done many times. Les Baxter's version (the one I have- he probably did more than one) has strings in it. Martin Denny did a great version with less orchestration. Arthur Lyman did a great version as well.

J

Baxter's original rendition of Quiet Village is nice but in my opinion Martin Denny's version complete w/bird calls, etc. is the best! I've found that Denny's Quiet Village is actually one of those tunes that makes you want to reach for the volume and jack it up - which I'm not really inclined to do with a lot of other exotica!

K

Oh man...do they have to be easily obtainable??!! That elimates a lot of the GREAT stuff.....Haha. So, you're looking for things already available on CD then?
I'd have to say #1..Jungle Madness by Martin Denny. to me, one of the ULTIMATE tiki songs...great wordless chorus, drums, dark, mysterious. #2 from the Chaino compilation CD would be Jungle Chase..drums, a male & female grunting and panting..it's crazy. #3 from Arthur Lyman's "Pearly Shells" CD, Poinciana..I think his best number..fast tempo, bird calls, a great haunting tune. #4..from Eden Ahbez's Eden's Island CD "The Old Boat"..mystic tune with a creaking boat effect. I also like "Chant Of The Moon" from Robert Drasnin's Voodoo CD..love the ooohhing female vocal.
Plenty of others, but are rather obscure CDS and we're not even TOUCHING the LPs that haven't been reissued. (Exotic Night by The Surfmen and S'Pacifica by Johnny Spencer & The Kona Koasters being two of the best, I think. )

The entire soundtrack of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

MAN that thing is TIKI NIRVANA.

The Hawaiian War Chant was the closest thing my grandparents' generation got to real Rock N Roll, and right there in the drums and chant, you've got the 1960's version of Rap music.

It's all there, the one music that honored the past and pointed straight at the future. It is without a doubt, UBER-Tiki.

F

Norman Luboff Choir Bamboo-Tamboo:
Technically this is Calypso but give it go! It's everything you'd expect from a great Exotica song if not more.

Duke Kamoku Pagan Love Song:
Happy island tune! A classic!

Hawaiian War Chant! There are several awsome versions of this song, each one great in it's own right!

Watusi Zombie would be #1 Hands down!!! If you don't know this song, log onto http://www.stonetigerrecords.com click on Jan Davis-Boss Guitar and don't get hurt by the spears flying outa yer computer!

House of Bamboo by Southern Culture on the Skids would be #2.

Tak Shindo's Bali Hai has to be on it.

The Boy from Ipanema by Peggy Lee

There's also a "Boy from Ipanema" by Peggy Lee AND Diana Krall, singing as a duo. Hot beyond belief.

Not to be homophobic or anything, but I like the "girl from Ipanema" better.

D

"Yellow Bird" by Arthur Lyman
"Tiki" by Gene Rains
"Chant to the Moon" Robert Drasnin
"Bahia" Arthur Lyman
"Quiet Village" Martin Denny
and of course some Les Baxter

K

If they HAVE to be commercially available...my absolute favorites would be

1. Jungle Madness/Martin Denny (Personally, the best exotica number EVER recorded)
  2. The Old Boat/Eden Abahz (sp) (Actually all the instrumentals from Eden's Island are good)

Endlessly - Sonny Chillingworth
Taboo - Arthur Lyman
Xtabay - Yma Sumac
Quiet Village - Les Baxter
Sleepwalk - The Smokin' Menehunes
My Little Grass Shack - I Bella Di Waikiki
Aloha O'e - Gabby Pahinui
Eden's Cove - Eden Abbez
Hypnotique - Martin Denny
Hula O' Makee - Gabby Pahanui
Destination Oasis - Clouseaux
I Hear Hawaii Calling - Axel Stordahl
Miserlou - Arthur Lyman
Quiet Village - The Fisherman
Scimitar - Martin Denny

"Welcome to the Jungle"- Guns 'n Roses

My Les Baxter choice would be Simba.

On 2005-02-08 07:19, tikitortured wrote:
Not to be homophobic or anything, but I like the "girl from Ipanema" better.

But THAT was sung by a lady, too!

KK

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2005 7:33 AM

The one I like the best it Thank god the tiki bar is open by John

?

M
motiki posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2005 6:32 PM

Tiki Tortured,

I have to agree that "The Girl from Iponema" is a true classic. I would like to add that if anybody is into old timey Hawaiian, I love Hukilau Hulas and listen to it whenever I plow snow for the rural town I work for in New Jersey. You can listen to it at Amazon.com. Hukilau and Little Grass Shack, it just doesn't get any better than that!

[ Edited by: motiki on 2005-03-05 19:28 ]

Hawaiian Tattoo by Martin Denny The whole cd is spellbinding! Now if I could only find a cleaner copy of it?

[ Edited by: exoticaJunkie on 2005-03-08 13:50 ]

I love "simba" by Les Baxter as well.. My wife walked down the the isle to marry me to that song at Sam's Seafood. That is an awesome song!!!
Later,
Spermy

I just came back from Tiki Oasis 10 and because I was suffering from withdrawls I made this music playlist inspired by your suggestions! THANK YOU!

Listen to this and enjoy your week:

http://toobbox.com/playlist/tiki-oasis-2010

T
Tasco posted on Wed, Aug 25, 2010 5:31 PM

On 2010-08-24 10:57, toobtiki wrote:
Listen to this and enjoy your week:
http://toobbox.com/playlist/tiki-oasis-2010

I first listened to lounge (coffee house) music during my second deployment to Iraq. I liked what I heard but never ventured any further than the CD I had. I get back back to the states where my wife has just made friends with someone who is in to tiki. Now that she has her torches, shes content. But I'm not. I like the idea so much that I have been researching everything tiki for the last few months. I found almost everything I would like to get for my yard but its been the music that's been hard. Now that you gave me a great starting point, I shouldn't have any problems finding ones I like.

Tacso, welcome back from Iraq and THANK YOU!!!!! Welcome to Tiki Central

T
Tasco posted on Thu, Aug 26, 2010 7:36 PM

On 2010-08-26 07:19, MadDogMike wrote:
Tacso, welcome back from Iraq and THANK YOU!!!!! Welcome to Tiki Central

Thank you for your support.

Wow, this is hard! It would have to have Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Arthur Lyman and Hui Ohana on it!

Just put in "Jungle Jetsetter" by Tikiyaki or a Quiet Village podcast and be done!!!

Pages: 1 28 replies