Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Concrete Tikis ~ in Florida

Pages: 1 8 replies

oh the shipping on these must be huge, but aren't they neat? found this site while surfing the web.. Tiki fountains,tables, path light,planters, candle holders, plaques ~ and custom orders too.

TikiLady

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2004-11-24 00:59 ]

Dogbytes, that's a great link.
They had quite a selection...some looked larger too. (although they said 60 pounds, which isn't that big for concrete)

I like that they say "One of a kind" yet they are cast. I guess that's from the painting.

Thanks for posting.

S

Cool link. That Tiki lady must keep busy. There's alot of stuff to see there. I make concrete Tikis too, and yes, shipping can be spendy, but so can shipping a 4ft tall Tiki made of wood. I make my bigger ones hollow which greatly reduces the weight/cost. it's nice to see more concrete out there. She's right on about the durability. They'll last longer than most of us!

Yeah nice stuff shipping concrete can' t be cheap or easy as far as breakage!

S

Try shipping a 5ft Tiki made of a palm trunk. That's not cheap either!
I pack my stuff extra good, and have never had one break (knock on wood). I'm really suprised at how many I've shipped to the East Coast- including Florida. UPS ground has worked out pretty good for me.

Its not as expensive as you think to ship a palm log. The last two tikis I've added to my collection both came from out of state. Each one was about 4 feet tall and approximately 80 lbs each respectively. One came via UPS from Washington state the other came via FedEx from Florida -- both were shipped to Southern California. Neither one cost more than about $30-40 bucks each to ship. Not bad considering their size and shape.

Note however, that the one that went UPS came undamaged and one that came FedEx came with the feet broken off at the ankles!

S

Hi PolyPop, it's been awhile. Yeah, that's kinda my point. 30-40$ is the high end of my usual shipping. It gets a bit more when I send those fat 3ft Moai fountains. they get a bit oversived and it can go up in the 50-60$ range. But thats more because of size than weight.
Sorry to hear about the broken ankles. was it repairable? hope it worked out somehow.

Sorry to hear about the broken ankles. was it repairable? hope it worked out somehow.

Yeah, I fixed it. I used a my own secret mix of Carpenter's Wood Glue and Aleen's All Purpose Glue. It worked like a charm -- so well in fact, that I would venture to claim that that bond is stronger than the palm itself. I bet if i tried to re-break the joint it would split the palm around it and keep it intact.

BTW - Good to see you back on TC Seamus!

T

This is an old thread, but just wanted to say that Christina Walker (the Tiki Lady) is still hard at work there in Jacksonville, building and shipping concrete tikis. I am fortunate to have gotten two of her creations and my third is on the way. The statues are not solid concrete. They are hollow (or have some lightweight material at the core). They weigh about 80 pounds, but they do an excellent job packaging them for shipping. In most cases, shipping is less than $70. I did have one tiki broken by UPS in their careless handling, but since that problem, they have switched to DHL and the two I have received were in perfect condition.

The cool thing about these tikis is that they can sit out in the weather without fading or deteriorating in any way. She acid stains some of them and the two I have have been sitting out in all sorts of weather for three years. They look like the day I bought them.

Christina and Bruce are super to work with and I highly recommend their products. Give them a try:
The Tiki Lady

Pages: 1 8 replies