Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Five drinks that suck

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Anxious to read this thread, huh?

Last night I wanted a cocktail and had no fresh juice to speak of. In fact I only had OJ in the fridge. So I went to the CocktailDB site to see what I could come up with. I made the following five drinks and while some were passable, I wouldn't make any of them again:

(All shaken and strained into a cocktail glass)

The Milan:
1 oz Bourbon
1 oz light rum
.5 oz OJ

(yuck)

The Philomel Cocktail:
1.5 oz sherry
.5 oz light rum
.25 oz OJ
.25 oz Dubonnet Rouge
1 dash pepper (!)

(Interesting, but not likely to become a regular)

The Cuban Cocktail Variation:
1.5 oz light rum
.5 oz OJ
.5 oz sweet vermouth
dash of bitters

(not so good!)

The Donelli:
.5 oz OJ
.5 oz Drambuie
1 oz light rum

(sounds better than it is)

The Frosty Dawn:
1.5 oz white rum
1 oz OJ
.5 oz Falernum
.25 oz maraschino liqueur

(ok, but not a keeper)

So what would you do if faced with the need for a tropical-ish beverage and have only a bar full of booze and some OJ in the fridge?

Not sure how to make it, but once or twice I asked the bartender at Bamboo Island (Pleasanton) to make me a "tropical" long island iced tea; and it appeared to be ALL booze! AND tasty! after a while, I couldn't feel my legs, so we re-named it the Samoan Leg Number.

After I recovered, I made him swear he would never let me order it again, no matter what I promised him!

S

Make a Derby Daiquiri. One of my favorites.

S

next time try this:

2 oz OJ
0.5 oz peach or apricot brandy (prefer apricot)
1 oz demerara
0.25 grenadine

shake with ice. if you want to try something a little more daring, throw a shot of gin in there.

i'll make one in a few minutes and see how it works.

...liquor in the front, poker in the rear...

[ Edited by: the drunken hat on 2004-11-29 20:09 ]

put the gin in it!! much better!!! and quite the sting.... maybe i'll post on that better than sliced bread thread!

M

On 2004-11-29 19:59, Swanky wrote:

Yes, that would be good- if I had lime juice! Hell, the world would have been my oyster if I had lime juice!

I'll give that drink a shot, hat.

Try a 4 to 1 mix of Rum and Triple Sec (or other liqueur) on the rocks. Strong and smooth or add the OJ, lime juice, or (my favorite) ruby red grapefruit. No spirit shelf is complete without at least one classic liqueur! Triple Sec isn't one of my favorites but mixes well with any rum.

Well done for trying out some of the less fashionable drinks! There are so many cocktails out there that are so old and unused that you can practically taste the accumulated dust of decades of nobody trying them out.

Perhaps we should kick off a thread of trying out unfashionable drinks seemingly lost in the mist of time.

Trader Woody

Moderators can't moderate what I take out.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 15:57 ]

T
thejab posted on Tue, Dec 7, 2004 2:21 PM

On 2004-11-30 15:57, Trader Woody wrote:
Well done for trying out some of the less fashionable drinks! There are so many cocktails out there that are so old and unused that you can practically taste the accumulated dust of decades of nobody trying them out.

Perhaps we should kick off a thread of trying out unfashionable drinks seemingly lost in the mist of time.

Trader Woody

In Barcelona I went to a bar named Boadas. They have been in business since 1933 when a bartender from the Floridita bar in Havana opened the place. It is a glorious cocktail lounge, and the white-jacketed, bow-tied staff serve a different cocktail del dia each day. I had not heard of the drink so I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. I have since forgotten the name of the drink as well as the ingredients. On the second visit I tried that day's cocktail and it was a winner as well. I believe they are one of the last remaining bars to revive old long-forgotten drinks.

More info:
http://www.drinkboy.com/Bars/Barcelona/Boadas.html

I think a thread of long lost cocktail recipes is a great idea.

On 2004-11-29 22:09, the drunken hat wrote:
put the gin in it!! much better!!! and quite the sting.... maybe i'll post on that better than sliced bread thread!

Someone once told me, "Shaking Gin bruises it."

I told them, "That's nothing compared to what I'm going to do to it!"

Subsequently, Gin ended up kicking my a##!

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-10 23:42 ]

IZ

There's a Thai restaurant in Milwaukee - The King and I - that uses an OJ / Orange Curacao base for their drinks. Nothing fresh squeezed (you know how it goes these days), but not bad for a restaurant cocktail. You might want to experiment with that to set up a nice base, and then add additional rums.

That sounds kind of like an idea for a book... A kind of "Road Trip" through the dusty undersides of the bar.....
I have three big flip-top boxes of drink receipes, the kind of box you used to get as a kid with World Magazine.... I'll put a few pictures/recipes up soon.

It already is a book: it's called "Mr. Boston." In it you can find all kinds of venerable old flips and fizzes. As long as you have plenty of Dry Sherry and Egg White on hand that is...

Pages: 1 13 replies