Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Legend Of Johnny Lingo

Pages: 1 12 replies

Just watched this movie that I had rented for my son with him, I liked it. On the cover it looked like Disney kids fare, because someone thought it neccessary to make the boy lead character ride on a SURFBOARD, have a PARROT on his shoulder, and DOLPHINS in the background, none of which appear in the film.
What an insult to Oceanic culture to assume that without these clichees nobody would have interest in the movie.

It is a valiant attempt to tell a Polynesian story in an authentic manner, like a legend, all with native actors (which regretfully have a strong British accent), shot in beautiful locations in New Zealand and the Cook Islands. The movie and the acting might seem naive, but so it is with native legends and Fairy Tales, and though this is no "Whale Rider", it is beautiful to watch, and an honest, sweet film.

Plot Summary for Johnny Lingo (1969)
Johnny Lingo, one of the sharpest traders in the south pacific islands decides to bargain for a wife, and offers a record price of eight cows for Mahana, a plain girl who shuns contact. This causes quite a sensation on the island. A year later Johnny and his wife return for the first time since the marriage, and all find that something miraculous has occurred to Mahana. Johnny explains that by paying eight cows he proved that she was worth more to him than any other woman on the island. He gave her a great gift, that of self-worth.

Directed by
Judge Whitaker (as Wetzel O. Whitaker)

Writing credits (in alphabetical order)
Patricia McGerr story
Claire Whitaker screenplay (as Orma W. Wallengren)

Credited cast:
Makee K. Blaisdell .... Johnny Lingo (as Blaizdel MaKee)
Naomi Kahoilua .... Mahana
Francis L. Urry .... Trader Harris
Joseph R. TeNgaio .... Moki's Counselor
Joseph W. Ah Quin .... Moki
Malofou Maumasi .... Tulo
Kent Fonoimoana

So this was already interpreted into a movie in 1969? Interesting, it must be an old tale. The 2004 movie I just saw tells the story of how the boy became Johnny Lingo, and the wedding dowry scene happens at the very end.

A

Aloha,
They used to show us this film in Grade school, 8mm projection at it finest (Sabu, were you an AV geek?). It was told by an old trader type, he knew Johnny Lingo and the tale was told in flashback. In the end Johnny Lingo returns with his wife. Ahhh, the important lessons I learned at Harbor View Elementary, always pay many Cows for your wife. Shelley's an 8 cow girl.

Mahalo,
Al

I believe I watched the same version as Al when I was a kid. My parents had a copy, and one of those little projectors. We watched it all the time, was one of my favorites.

vw

BigBro, I thought what I posted was the movie you watched! OK, from IMDb:

Legend of Johnny Lingo, The (2003)

When a storm washes a canoe bearing an infant boy ashore upon a small South Pacific island, he is at first well-received as a gift from the heavens, even to the point of the tribal chief adopting him as a successor. However, with time as hardships are blamed upon Tama (as he is named), he is finally outcast to live with the poorest people on the island, Mahana and her drunken father. Mahana is considered homely and undesirable, but Tama feels differently, so when he is old enough to build a craft to sail away, he vows to return for her one day. A lucky stroke brings him to land upon the island of the legendary Johnny Lingo, the wealthiest trader in the islands, and after years of service to him, Tama has learned much about life and himself as he dreams of honoring his pledge to Mahana.

Directed by
Steven Ramirez

Writing credits (in alphabetical order)
Riwia Brown
John Garbett

Credited cast:
George Henare .... Johnny Lingo
Rawiri Paratene .... Malio Chief
Joe Folau .... Tama (as Joe Falou)
Alvin Fitisemanu .... Chief Steward
Kayte Ferguson .... Mahana
Peter Sa'ena Brown .... Miriama's Father
Hori Ahipene .... Pioi
Jim Perry .... Malio Elder
Sima Urale .... Hoku
Goeretti Chadwick .... Malio Seductress
Tausani Simei-Barton .... Young Tama
Fokikovi Soakimi .... Young Mahana
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Esela Alo .... Young Man
Sela Apera .... Miriama's Mother
Christina Asher .... Ulani
Suivai Autagaia .... Young Viane
Tungia Baker .... Turtle Island Grandmother
Teuila Blakely .... Natiti's Sister
Ross Duncan .... Writer
Taungaroa Emile .... Pua's Friend #1
Stephanie Erick .... Rewa (as Stephanie Erick-Peleti)
David Fane .... Kata
Mele Lola Fifita .... Young Natiti
Daniel Logan .... Young Pua
Fiona MacFarlane .... Viane
Rene Naufahu .... Sali
Elizabeth Skeen .... Miriama
Pete Smith .... Scary Island Chief
Bodie Taylor .... Pua
Veronica Tone .... Natiti
Aleni Tufuga .... Pua's Friend #2
Ateli Valahi .... Young Miriama

Produced by
Tim Coddington .... executive producer
John Garbett .... producer
Gerald R. Molen .... producer
Brad Pelo .... executive producer

Original Music by
Kevin Kiner

Cinematography by
Allen Guilford (director of photography)

Film Editing by
Steven Ramirez

Casting by
Christina Asher

Production Design by
Robert Gillies (as Rob Gillies)

Costume Design by
Jane Holland

Makeup Department
Debra East .... makeup artist
Claire Rutledge .... hair stylist
Claire Rutledge .... makeup artist
Lisa Shearer .... additional makeup artist

Production Management
Susan Parker .... production manager: Stable 2002 ltd.

Art Department
Robert Bavin .... props assistant

Sound Department
Corrin Ellingford .... boom operator
Hammond Peek .... sound recordist

Other crew
Wynter Blathwayt .... title designer
Lance Stubblefield .... assistant editor
Clayton Tikao .... assistant location manager

Runtime: USA:91 min
Language: English
Color: Color
Sound Mix: Dolby Digital
Certification: USA:G

T

Wow, Bodie Taylor is in this!

B

Not a great movie...but good family fare. No foul language and lots of beautiful scenery......including some Tikis. Definately worth watching or a holiday gift.

i watched the johnny lingo movie also, it was simple and sweet. i grew up in that kind of simplicity. in the 70's. i was raised to be like her, honorable, honest, loyal,sacrificing,understanding, disciplined, in the hopes of finding someone when i grew up that would appreciate me and all that goo. it was a big shock to find that no one appreciated it or was even close to being like me. guess i was living in a shell, haha.

K

I don't recall seeing the earlier version but the latter is shown
maybe a few times a year here on T.V. and try to catch it if I can,
a nice story for sure.

8 cow lassie, there's nothing wrong with that shell.

Was going to show everyone the tiki's in this film. It's on Netflix as of now & good for my 10ish son (the newer one) [movie, not son]

Shaka! - Tiki Beeki

[ Edited by: Holler Waller 2013-05-25 20:56 ]

The 1969 version is a short "educational/morality" film produced by Brigham Young University. I was available to schools by educational film distributors. As a Mormon boy growing up in Hawaii during the 60s & 70s we would see this film a lot. It was a fun little film and we would also recognized some of the Polynesian actors who lived near BYU-Hawaii. Today we still say our favorite line of the movie "Mahana you ugly!" voiced by Mahana's father. It was a cruel thing to say to a low self-esteem daughter who's tribe teased her but as she grew up she blossomed but one couldn't tell because her rough exterior (mental), bad reputation and as mentioned her low self-worth. When wealthy Johnny Lingo (who was a former playmate as kids) returns, he saw though her rough exterior and he ignored her bad reputation and paid a record 8 cows for her hand in marriage. Well the moral of the story can still be related today, a husband who adores you, especially a husband with high social status (money and/or power) ones self-worth can climb. A person can really change for the better like Mahana did. Suddenly your appearance can improve by society even though one is still the same. One can buy this short (with 3 others) on DVD at: http://creativeworks.byu.edu/catalog/ViewItem.aspx?item=TM026

Some years latter a movie version of his short was released and distributed by Disney. It was titled THE LEGEND OF JOHNNY (2003). Most of the Polynesian actors in this feature length film are Maori, Samoan and Tongan raised or educated in New Zealand thus the British colonial accent by the cast. Same thing in Rapa Nui. Although the movie was a fun family affair we old school guys like the short version better. Here are some screen captures from the movie and I'll shortly show some captures from the short.
Young Johnny Lingo with tikis:

Possible Polynesian brides for Johnny:

One note of interest from the movie (besides the all-star Polynesian cast) was that it's principle producer was Oscar winner and former Spielberg producer Gerald R. Molen.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-05-27 03:14 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-05-27 19:13 ]

As promised here some screen captures form the "69" short. Sorry couldn't find any tiki.
Villagers laugh at 8 cow offer for Ugly Mahana:

Wedding feast:

Johnny leaves island with Mahana for their honeymoon

The now beautiful Mahana returns home:

Pages: 1 12 replies