Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki bar window illusion...

Pages: 1 20 replies

J

I’ve always appreciated the classic tiki bar effect of the miniature Polynesian village just beyond the window behind the bar (as illustrated in the BOT). Since I’ve got absolutely no idea how one would go about building one of these dioramas or what it entails, I think I may have found a do-able solution. Now I don’t know if this is going to be something I want to tackle but check these out…

http://www.naturespiritinc.com/birthday_gifts

I originally saw these “magic motion” lamps for sale at one of those kiosks at the local shopping mall.

Check out the picture of the magic motion lamp with the thatched roofs on a tranquil lagoon - now just imagine getting the largest size they make, carving out a hole in the back wall behind a bar, insetting the thing into the hole and framing the hole in to give it the appearance of a window to the outside paradise awaiting. I don’t understand the mechanics involved in creating the illusion of motion but maybe it would be possible to pop the thing open and wire in a set of bulbs – orange, yellow and red for dusk and maybe even blue and black lights for night. Maybe, you’d even be able to wire them into a dimmer that would allow the day to turn to dusk and over to night within seconds – so you could create the perfect ambiance and total escape from the boring outside world. Would the motion illusion still work using different color lights? Anyone have any clues?

Would it work? Is it do-able?

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-11-30 17:57 ]

J

This one looks great as well...

T

On 2004-11-30 17:53, johntiki wrote:
now just imagine getting the largest size they make, carving out a hole in the back wall behind a bar, insetting the thing into the hole and framing the hole in to give it the appearance of a window to the outside paradise awaiting.

I thought about doing that also, but the only place in my house I could probably get away with cutting a hole is in the bathroom. I think you'd be too close to the picture to feel the illusion.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-11-30 18:04 ]

Aaaah, yaaah! Tiki dioramas, one of my favourite concepts! Appart from the murals that changed from day to night with dimming and blacklight effects, little model villages and landscapes are definitely one of my great loves.
Think LAYERED guys, just like a good Tiki bar interior. The Kona Kai did their mural in layers by painting shutters on a seperate sheet of glass in the foreground. This can be done with real materials too:

Get some bamboo stick shutters at an import store like Cost Plus, thin them out some more, put them on the edges of the window to frame the view, so the scenery is open and can be partly glimpsed through the shutters at the edges. Also get some palmfronts and have them hanging from the top into "frame".
Leave shutters and palmfronts un-lit, in silhouette. This will give you more depth and (sur)realism.

Old German cinematographer saying:
"Vordergrund macht das Bild gesund!"
(Foreground makes the image healthy!)

Would be cool to try to alter those so it could be all calm and then have a hurricane or a typhoon!! You could hook up sprinklers in the roof of your bar and a fan on a shelf covered with plants and hit a switch that would give your guests a real show!!

Some of the more intricate model railroad layouts owned by clubs, mega-serious train stores, etc. utilize some neat layering and lighting tricks to create forced perspective in cityscapes seen behind model buildings, etc. I've even heard of some day to night effects. It couldn't hurt to ask at a hobby store if there is such a thing in your area to look at.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Dec 1, 2004 7:15 AM

Diamondhead. But the boat in the picture really screws it up for me.

Nowhere does it say how big these are. I had the same thoughts as BigBro when I saw it. Start with the image in the background, then add small tikis and palms and make the depth. Hide it all behind full sized palm fronds so you don't get a good view of it. A subtle image out the window that maybe they don't even notice until their Scorpion Bowl is half gone...

Sawnky,

That picture of Diamond Head is backwords.

J

Checked out the website again - the largest size they make is 118" X 74"...that's pretty damn big! I think adding things to the foreground would be the trickiest part. For one thing, you'd need a deep recess in the wall in order to layer item to make it look believable. Also, the items directly in the foreground would have to be pretty large considering the items closer to the actual "magic motion" lamp would have to maintain the same size and scale as the images on the screen.

Anyone understand how they motion within the lamps is achieved? You could, if you had the skill, add layers of glass over the lamp each painted with a different layer of depth...adding foliage, tikis, etc. closer to the foreground...

RevBambooBen - I like the way you think! My only problem would be the drainage after each typhoon...besides, I already added the thunderstorm effect to my hall closet...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8302&forum=1

On 2004-11-30 19:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
(Foreground makes the image healthy!)

weird, my dad always emphasized that you should have something in the foreground.

and his dad was german.

hm........

I went and got my nails done the other day at a salon that had one of those. It had a bird/water fall sound on high volume that repeated often (think cheesy "nature sounds" alarm clock thingy) - the sound was VERY annoying after just a few minutes! other than that it was cool. it appears these pics for sale have "volume control" whatever that means.

On 2004-11-30 18:00, johntiki wrote:
This one looks great as well...

John, coincidentally, I bought this EXACT same one about a year or so ago to do something like what you describe above. Alas, its still in the original box in my garage! I paid a mere $50 for the large 39" x 19" size. They were being sold at the corner of a busy intersection on the property of a vacant gas station. It was around 10pm and the guy had about 40 different kinds all lit up -- they all looked great at night and he was really busy with a lot of people stopping to look/buy them too.

The cheesy-ness factor is what sold me. I never thought of doing the faux-window trick - I was just going to box it and surround it with mugs... but I like your idea better.

"Volume Control" is just what it means. You can control the volume or turn it off completely.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2004-12-01 13:39 ]

You don't need to build the diorama box into the wall, it just needs to be disguised to make people think it's in the wall. A large fake window frame surrounded by a cabinet or shelves of mugs & liquor maybe?

So...anyone build a diorama like these yet?

B

Some Really cool ideas here, Definitely doable!

M
Murph posted on Fri, Oct 24, 2008 6:14 PM

I did something similar but used a real window that had a brick retaining wall for a view.
I used a tropical print mounted on plywood outside the window and put fake plants
along the edg and indirect lighting underneath to give the illusion of a tropical beach view from the Waikiki Womb.

Not the best photos of it but hope you get the idea.

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-10-24 18:18 ]

T

On 2008-10-24 18:14, Murph wrote:
I did something similar but used a real window that had a brick retaining wall for a view.
I used a tropical print mounted on plywood outside the window and put fake plants
along the edg and indirect lighting underneath to give the illusion of a tropical beach view from the Waikiki Womb.

Not the best photos of it but hope you get the idea.

Yeah, that would work! Nice job Murph!

Sweet hangout! That window makes it even better. Great work.

My take on this one: Don't cut a hole in an existing wall, build a fake wall with a hole in it.

I would build a concave wall in that one corner we all have that nothing seems to work or look right. I'd go about 4 feet out from the corner on each side and judge the curve's diameter by sight. A shallow diameter would make for an easier installation of the window frame, but a deeper curve could accommodate shelving or even a crazy Witco style bench. An ideal location for souvenir photos to be taken.

Anyways, the fake wall could be built as permanently as needed; from reed fencing and PVC to half bamboo over Masonite. The wall would ideally be hinged on one side of the wall to allow access to the area behind (More Storage?). The moving picture could then be recessed as far as needed to allow for any degree of forced perspective props to be used. Might I suggest a small fan over a salt water bath out of sight to provide a "Sea Breeze" to the person taking in the view? Even on a still day there is some air movement outside. White noise machines are often programmed with sounds of the sea. Otherwise, any number of relaxation CDs could be used to enhance the effect. A window box full of tropical flowers hanging out the window would be fun.

Just throwing that out there. Have some fun with it.

B

Yes and in addition to BigBros ideas. Try first putting small colored bulbs in the corner Between the walls so the whole scene gets bathed in the dim light. You may damage the piece to try opening it up to add lights. Even the shadow box added around the frame would give you extra depth to work with for more additions. Have FUN.

Not intending to hijack a thread but think this is along the same line. I have a real window in my lounge. I am not able to do any kind of a build on the outside of my home (HOA...aka Yard-Nazis won't allow). But I think if I could just find a nice tropical full-sized scene decal for the window that would be great. I have interior shutters which will give me the look I want. I can find single small decals but not large colorful scenes. Anyone have a link?

Edit...I would like the natural light to shine in through the decal during the daytime and have a light outside for at night to shine on the window. Thanks for any help. :)

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2011-06-19 12:16 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies