Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Beast and Betty Crocker

Pages: 1 8 replies

So I'm watching a documentary on Anton Lavey and his satanic black mass -- you
know how you do around the holidays -- and as the camera is panning along his
shelves full of macabre books and eerie objects, I recognize a couple ceramic
skulls -- hey, those are the ones from Trader Vic's!
So of course I rewind so I can take a (very low tech) photo to post:

Then when I rewind to take the photo I recognize one of the books on the shelf. If the eerie ambiance that Lavey would have liked wasn't already totally
lost due to his pre-schooler halloween-costume cap and horns, it certainly
was once I saw his satanic bookshelf holding The Betty Crocker Cook Book.

The signs are all laid out before you, can you not see it?

UB

F

My mom have that same book (the cookbook). There were a lot of seasonal recipes. I can just imagine Mr, Lavay prancing around his kitchen in delite, making Halloween cookies for all his little ghouls and goblins!

I've been told Anton credited Betty Crocker for the scrumptious Devil's Food cake that was such a hit at his Satanic rituals.

edited by me

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-02-23 10:26 ]

Everybody has to start somewhere and why not with Betty. She really is the devil, you know.... We all know her, we have all read and used her books but have any of you actually SEEN her?

My friend Chuck says that page 666 of the Betty Crocker Cookbook has a recipe for Devil's Food Cake. But then Chuck also says that Star Trek episodes are true stories broadcast to gently break the realities of extraterrestrial life to us, and that subatomic particles called deitons pass through our bodies and make people believe in religion. So I don't think he's made it as far as page 666 in any book that isn't science fiction.

Still, it does give me a warm feeling to imagine Anton Lavey entertaining a group of his followers at Trader Vics -- whether or not he's wearing that silly horned cap.

C
Chrisc posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 3:49 AM

Towards the end of his life, LaVey claimed to have played a part in the revival of lounge and cocktail music, as well as the revival in popularity of the Theremin. The link appears to be Boyd Rice, who was indeed directly involved in these revivals, and was an associate of LaVey's. He is also an enthusiast for Tiki, and has written an essay on the subject.

P
Philot posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 9:03 AM

On 2004-12-03 01:53, FreakBear wrote:
My mom have that same book (the cookbook). There were a lot of seasonal recipes. I can just imagine Mr, Lavay prancing around his kitchen in delite, making Halloween cookies for all his little ghouls and goblins!

So FreakBear's Mom had one of the very same reference books that Anton LaVey had on his shelf? Did you notice anything else, errr, unusual about your mother?!!!

Pages: 1 8 replies