Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Cubase vs. Logic

Pages: 1 3 replies

Any of you gearheads have an opinion of Logic (now owned by Apple) vs. Steinbergs' Cubase?

I will be updating my studio soon and need some advice. Believe it or not, the digital 1/2 of my rig still uses a Mac IIci. running Cubase Audio and Pro Tools II (all from about 1993) I'm finally making the leap to a G5 (thanks to my best friends' employee discount) and to be honest, I'm not as up on the latest & greatest as I used to be. I have not read an issue of Electronic Musician or the like in about 5 years (marriage does these things)

Logic is expensive ($999) but I think I could get my friends' discount on that as well, making both programs about the same price point. I always liked Cubase, but is it time for a change? Anyone familiar with both?

-Z

UB

Hey FZ!!
I have Pro Tools and Cubase.
I hear Logic is just as good.
Cubase (as you know) was a major learnig curve, so I could not imagine starting all over again which you will do with Logic.
I would say stay with what you know (Cubase) in order to move forward sooner.
Let us know what you do.

H

Unga Bunga is right in regards to staying with what you know. I've been a Cubase user for many many years and the main reason I am still using Cubase is because I know it well.

On the other hand, If I was starting from scratch and was choosing between Cubase and Logic, I would go with Logic. This is only based on what I have heard from others that have used both. They claim that Cubase plays catch up with Logic. For example, Logic has a great "freeze" feature which Cubase is only just now starting to fully implement. They also like the interface better. I have also heard that Logic is more stable than Cubase.

H

Ya know FZ, now that I think about it, the stay with what you know thinking probably doesn't apply to you. Since your current version of Cubase goes back to '93, my guess is that no matter which package you choose, you will have a big learning curve. Therefore my vote would be to go with Logic.

Pages: 1 3 replies