Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Can anything good be made with Ouzo?

Pages: 1 9 replies

S
sinner posted on Thu, Dec 2, 2004 3:49 PM

I recently received a bottle of Ouzo as a gift and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what drinks I can make with it. Anyone have any Ouzo drink recipes?

in my opinion, no.

that's the one alcohol I cannot drink. got really sick on it once in high school. NOT good mixed with Coke - especially in large amounts!

it has a heavy black licorice flavor so its like anisette or Galliano.

I think it's traditionally served as an after dinner drink straight, not iced, in little brandy type glasses.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 on 2004-12-02 15:58 ]

Good question!

And the short answer is, again, no. At a stretch you could probably use it instead of pernod or absinthe in a cocktail that just required a touch of either of those.

I've got to be one of those few people outside of Greece (And Germany - there seems to be a bit of an ouzo fanclub there) that likes the stuff. There are few places as peaceful as a Greek island harbour at mid-afternoon with a plate of mezedes (grilled octopus if available), a carafe of chilled water and a decent glass of ouzo with a couple of ice cubes floating in it. Sounds pretentious, but this is pretty much the cheapest food/booze combo in Greece.

There are a vast number of Ouzo brands available, and from what I understand, the best stuff comes from Lesbos. Anyone who ventures into Athens should check out Brettos Bar right in the middle of the tourist district as they make their own ouzo (and brandy).

Anyway, my advice is to wait for the summer and drink it with a lot of ice, and top it up with water as you see fit.

Trader Woody

H

Thats funny, I have a bottle also that someone gave to me last year. I never used it. Any TCers want it it is yours. Let me know.

K

On 2004-12-02 16:26, Trader Woody wrote:

I've got to be one of those few people outside of Greece (And Germany - there seems to be a bit of an ouzo fanclub there) that likes the stuff.

Anyway, my advice is to wait for the summer and drink it with a lot of ice, and top it up with water as you see fit.

Trader Woody

Ditto and ditto.

Water and ice baby. Yum.

As for cocktails, a little bit can be used as mentioned like Pernod, especially in rum drinks with lots of pineapple juice and crushed ice. For some reason licorice flavor in measured amounts just works in those slushy pineapple concoctions.

Cheers!

Ahu

Well, I have had fabulous luck having annisette and Sambuca with strong espresso coffee. Try the Ouzo with it to taste. I find I don't need much sugar at all.

Its a great afterdinner coffee treat. Best of luck.

I quite like Sambuca and Ouzo...In coffee drinks they have a splendid presence.

In Australia (which is full of Greeks) they sell canned Ouzo and Coke from vending machines, premixed.

It can't be any worse than the Redbull Jeger combo.

S
sinner posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 4:23 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

A

Dont forget the Vulcan Mind Meld
(from Webtender)

Vulcan Mind Meld
Ingredients:

• 1 part Ouzo
  • 1 part 151 proof rum

Mixing instructions:

Pour ingredients into glass (usually a double shot glass.) Drink quickly.
Mahalo,
Al

I think I just burned a hole in my esophagus just reading that recipe.
YIKES!!!! That sounds dangerous.

So far the only good thing I've found to make with Ouzo is.... someon really drunk.

I think the last time I drank it was 10+ years ago at a friends funeral. The bottle was given to me by his brother-in-law, and I don't remember much after that.

-T.J.

Pages: 1 9 replies