Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Variations of booze buzzes?

Pages: 1 12 replies

It seems to me that some different spirits give a different buzz than others. (Not hangover, but tha actual sensation while tipsy)

I know the sugars which eventually are fermented and then distilled are chemically not the same...Maltose, Fruitose, Sucrose...does anybody have any insights or stories about this?

K
Kono posted on Sun, Dec 5, 2004 5:54 PM

No stories but I agree. I've always felt that gin, bourbon, tequila and jagermeister have buzz properties a little outside of the great intoxication bell curve. Bourbon and jagermeister = better than average buzz; almost like muscle relaxants. Gin and tequila = worse than average buzz; makes ya want to tilt at windmills.

Want an odd buzz? Drink a six of Haffenreffer Malt Liquor. Odd but good buzz.

Tequilla always seems to have a narcoleptic effect on me. Sleeeeeeepy.....

I've noticed 3 distinct buzzes worth noting:

Wine -- Smooth, suave, and sexy buzz

Tequilla -- dangerous, unpredictable, envigorating, buzz

Rum -- Silly, loud, reckless, yet in control buzz

I recently tried Bacardi's "Ciclone" (RUM, TEQUILLA, and Lime) -- Best of both worlds!

The hangover factor with each is pretty distinct as well! Has anyone noted this?
-FB

K

While some might argue that this is all in your head, I agree that there is something chemical going on.

I believe it has something to do with the "higher alcohols" present in most of these beverages and the sugars as well.

One could also assume that with the exception of neutral grain spirits, there have to be certain chemical remnants of the primary ingredients present that could contribute to the effect the drink has.

However, I think that body chemistry should have an equal role in this as well. I've seen some people turn into raving lunatics from consuming red wine and later hear them complain of the massive hangover.

I, on the other hand, find red wine to be the easiest buzz to cope with and also the easiest to shake. Which is a handy thing when you are pulled over for speeding in a small town in the middle of nowhere at 3:00 am and your friend has certain "items" hidden under the passenger seat of your truck.

Good times, good times.

Ahu

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

-Oscar Wilde

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-12-13 19:05 ]

D

Well,I'm a chardonnay drinker,which is nice and happy,but makes me sleepy.Used to like vodka,but it's waaaaay too heavy going down my throat now.I guess that's not really much help.

I quite like beer, easy and predictable, but it's so heavy. There are hand pumped ales which are not carbonated, which effect they seem to make me feel.

Ouzo makes me dream crazy things. I seldome drink the stuff. Maybe I just dream that I dream crazy things.

I think it's all down to the person drinking, I feel that everyone has one drink they can spend a whole evening drinking without ending up to messy, you just have to drink lots of things till you find your tipple.
BUT I also belive everyone has a DANGER DRINK that one substance that turns you into Mr Hyde, Whisky is one of those quite a few of my friends go to pieces on Whisky but i can happly make my way through a bottle without ending up half naked in a Police cell.

Ha, hubby has a friend named Heng. When he drinks his alter-ego surfaces, and we call him "Hank". Mild-mannered fellow by day, by drink watch out for his teeth, cuz he might bite you!

One word: "Absinth"

K

Oddly enough, my "monster maker" appears to be cheap bourbon and also hard apple cider beverages like Woodchuck.

Luckily I have no problem avoiding both.

The Woodchuck gives me heartburn and is just too sacharine for me, and if I'm gonna consume bourbon, it better be good stuff or I'd sooner just stick to rum thanks.

Ahu

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

-Oscar Wilde

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-12-14 15:28 ]

On 2004-12-14 12:06, atomictonytiki wrote:
...BUT I also belive everyone has a DANGER DRINK that one substance that turns you into Mr Hyde, Whisky is one of those quite a few of my friends go to pieces on Whisky but i can happly make my way through a bottle without ending up half naked in a Police cell.

Oh yes!... Whiskey! A spirit whose presence and recollection have conveniently been purged from my memory... Due to pending litigation of course!
-FB

D

Gotta say that my danger spirit is gin-and has been since freshman year in college.As I vaguely recall,it involved some cheap mixer,strawberry twizzlers,and a dorm room garbage can that got REALLY abused.I can't even smell the stuff without getting queasy.I've eaten twizzlers since,though.

Pages: 1 12 replies