Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Yma Sumac

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

I haven't seen any threads on this amazing artist. I've just ordered her debut [I think] album called 'Voice of Xtaby'.

I welcome your views on the incredible singing of Yma Sumac.

[b]Chris

C

Hi Audiophile...welcome aboard. You are
already a posting son-of-a-gun.....I
think any fan of exotica and tribal
music would appreciate both Robert
Drasnin ( a favorite of mine) and
Chaino...but I can't drink or smoke enough
to get into Yma...She is a bit much.

TD

I've heard her stuff on some of the ultra lounge cds but have never been compelled to purchase anything else by her...no disrepect to Yma...it's just that I think I have all I need of her music at this time...although I have pondered dressing up as her for Halloween.

V
virani posted on Wed, Dec 8, 2004 7:51 AM

this album is produced by the Exotica Guru : Les Baxter. Simply wonderful. (Even if I prefer Elisabeth Waldo).
Have fun listening to it. And welcome to TC.

C
Chrisc posted on Thu, Dec 9, 2004 4:23 AM

Well, I LOVE Yma Sumac... have a complete collection of her re-issued CD albums PLUS the original 78 of 'Virgin of the Sun God'.
I actually began as a 78 collector, was intrigued by Yma Sumac, started buying her compilations, had a listen to related material such as Les Baxter, Martin Denny, and thereby dicovered Tiki...
I find her music so thrilling it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end..
it transports me away to ruined jungle temples, sunken cities.... wonderful stuff!

C

i'm gonna have to give her another listen...
with your enthusiasm (ChrisC) I must
be missing something....I am sorry
to report that I based my earlier opinion on
very little exposure.....

C
Chrisc posted on Thu, Dec 9, 2004 8:28 AM

Try having a hot bath beforehand, relax
with a drink in a darkened room with some candles and incense... sit back and be amazed at THAT VOICE!
Talking of baths, did you hear about one of Yma's lovelorn fans who threw himself at her feet as she stepped out of a swimming pool?
..... he couldn't wait for the Inca to dry!

CHRIS

P

Here's an ad for Yma, from a 1952 NYC Playbill Theater booklet :

Amy Camus?

wow, this is cool:

Z

I sprung some exotica cd's on my captive carpool of coworkers (say that five times really fast) who are all a bit older than I, and they exclaimed, "Yma Sumac! She has the widest vocal range ever! She was amazing! I remember when this song came out!" They all had stories about Yma's amazing range, and talent.
They also had lots of interesting anecdotes about things they'd forgotten about until they heard the songs again, so play this music for people who experienced it when it was new.

The only Yma Sumac I have besides the odd cut here & there on compilations is "The Ultimate Yma Sumac Collection" on a 21 track CD on Capitol that comes w/ a 10 page booklet full of cool pics & biblio. After my wife listened to it and read the bio she told me Yma Sumac was a Peruvian witch and didn't feel comfortable listening to her music. Last time I let her smoke that shit.

While we're on the subject today I found a beat up copy of original Broadway cast recording of Flahooley on Capitol Records. It features 3 cuts by Yma Sumac composed by Moises Vivanco that I didn't know existed that sound like outtakes from Voice of the Xtabay.

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-12-12 18:14 ]

C

Moises Vivanco was Yma Sumac's husband, and seems to have been an extremely vain and unpleasant man. I've read that most of Yma Sumac's backing music was actually by Les Baxter, and M.Vivanco stole the credit.
However, on the plus side, I believe his is the male voice heard on 'Voice of the Xtabay'.

CHRIS.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Dec 13, 2004 5:45 PM

Everyone seems to like to slag "Miracles" but I love it! Especially the first track "Remember." Crazy stuff.

On the "Stay Awake: Interpretations of Vintage Disney Films" compilation she sings "I Wonder," but it's not on all versions of the comp.

You can find her most complete discography on her official fansite sunvirgin.com.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-12-14 10:30 ]

TM1

I love Yma Sumac, the voice briefly heard in Disney's enchanted tiki room. I have the Voice of the Xtabay and Mambo.

I still think Nina Hagen was totally influenced by Yma Sumac, in the high, operatic screeches and low, guttural tones!

M

Yma Sumac has her own site now at :
http://www.yma-sumac.com

[ Edited by: Mrdevine on 2005-02-17 17:13 ]

S

Thanks for that link Mrdevine.

I didn't realize the album Miracles was as rare as it is. I've got a copy, and have tried to listen to it a few times, but it's just awful. Maybe I'll Ebay it after all...

So does anyone have the last word on if she's a Peruvian Goddess or Amy Camus from New Jersey? It makes no difference to me (Although I sheepishly prefer the Amy version) I’m surprised this hasn’t been put to rest long ago.

She's Peruvian, and had released records in Peru before coming to the states. The "Amy Camus" rumor came from an in joke from her band after seeing her name on a marquee reversed in a reflection. She's not from Brooklyn, & I've heard that she's only been to the borough once for an appearance.

M

Yma Sumac Feb 18th and 19th! Don't forget this, as it may be your last chance to get this close to Miss Sumac to talk and get things signed. From now on it may be only recordings or rare TV appearances. She will arrive around 12 pm on Fri, and perhaps a little earlier on saturday. See you there and have fun! See details at: http://www.yma-sumac.com and you can be sure I'll post pictures from the event, as soon as I can!

T

On 2005-02-17 17:10, Mrdevine wrote:
Don't forget this, as it may be your last chance to get this close to Miss Sumac to talk and get things signed. From now on it may be only recordings or rare TV appearances.

...unless she does an appearance on the east coast this October.

oops, did I say that or did I just think it?

My lips are sealed.. for now.

D

east coast in october????? like say,mmmh chiller in new jersey for halloween??

loose lips sink ships!cmon, go ahead and spill!

S

Does anyone else have a copy of Miracles? or at least heard it? Is it just me, or is this record really as bad as I think it is?
Don't get me wrong. I really like Yma's earlier stuff. It's high on my Exotica list. But Miracles just sounds like a really bad idea- all the way through. The engineer should have never pushed the record button that day.

holy shit yma sumac at hukilau!?!!!!??????

I saw Yma Sumac's star on Hollywood Blvd, 1 block East of Musso & Frank.

I

Looking at Yma's website, I was surprised to see her views on Les Baxter - she obviously did not like or respect him. Evidently, he tried to take credit for much of the music that she had written or created. I would be curious to see what her views of Martin Denny or the other exotica artists were.

Vern

T

On 2005-08-26 05:43, ikitnrev wrote:
Looking at Yma's website, I was surprised to see her views on Les Baxter - she obviously did not like or respect him. Evidently, he tried to take credit for much of the music that she had written or created. I would be curious to see what her views of Martin Denny or the other exotica artists were.

Well, Vern, you will have the opportunity to ask her in a little over a month at Hukilau!

T

Hi Audiophile...I have all of Yma's albums and Cd's with the exception of the live concert done in Romania in the 70's.I recommend "Mambo" as her best and "Miracles" as her worst.Actually,it's ok but it's not Exotica to me.
http://www.tikitim43.blogspot.com

K
Kono posted on Fri, Aug 26, 2005 7:57 PM

Miracles is my favorite Yma album! But no, it's not exotica. Not in the least. Imagine Les Baxter thinking "what would The Stooges sound like if Yma replaced Iggy and some studio pros replaced The Stooges?" That's Miracles! Turn it up loud enough and have the right "mind set" and it can definitely get you re-mapping reality. :wink:

M

Yma Sumac has confirmed her appearance at Hukilau in Florida just today. I am her personal assistant, and even I am surprised she is making a public appearance! She is very private these days and only signs through the mail. But she is still up for some fun with the fans it seems! See details on her own site at : http://www.yma-sumac.com or at http://www.thehukilau.com

I have never been to Florida so this should be fun. It will be Miss Sumac, her manager and myself there. Hopefully you will be there too! With Sumac, we NEVER KNOW when it will be her last public outing. She changes her mind frequently, and we must not forget she is not in her 30's anymore.....

I

Great news!

I was worried that Ms. Sumac might have turned for the worse, health-wise, but I am glad to see that she is well enough to consider the trip once again.

If you were looking for a fun and memorable weekend in Florida, you could not have picked a better event than the exotic Hukilau event to attend. We are looking forward to meeting you.

Vern

It's true folks. I just heard last night and I'm booking their travel as I type!!

M

does anyone know where yma can be found and if she is doing any shows around august september 2006? i am travelling to the USA at this time for the first time. we are yma fans from australia and would love to meet her...

Try http://www.yma-sumac.com for all the latest info regarding the Queen of Exotica!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T
twitch posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 3:47 PM

Well I think Yma Sumac may take a little getting used to, but after hearing her on a friend's lounge CD I thought she was too unique to NOT investigate further. I wouldn't listen to her, say, during a road trip through the mountains or after a hard day's work with the supervisor's voice still ringing in my ears, but put a couple Blue Hawaiian's in my hands on a calm and balmy summer night with Sounds of Nature: Surf Waves doubling over it via the computer and I'm a happy guy...
Her voice is truly amazing.

Found some disturbing news on Yma Sumac's website. Apparently she's been in the hospital, as of March 12 was still there.

Sorry to hear that she is not well . The last of the 50's " pioneers " of Exotica .

On 2004-12-09 04:23, Chrisc wrote:
Well, I LOVE Yma Sumac...
I find her music so thrilling it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end..
it transports me away to ruined jungle temples, sunken cities.... wonderful stuff!

Yma Sumac has the same effect on me. The first time I put on her Recital CD, it made all the hairs on my arms stand on end, followed by all the hairs on the back of my neck.

It starts with a long instrumental piece, allowing Yma to make her big entrance in track 2, with that voice... and it just floors you. I can only imagine the impact it must have had on the audience.

Just read that Yma Sumac passed away yesterday in Los Angeles. Wikipedia has a decent bio.

On 2008-11-02 14:29, aloha.taboo wrote:
Just read that Yma Sumac passed away yesterday in Los Angeles. Wikipedia has a decent bio.

Oh no.

R.I.P. Yma!

She will be missed....

Indeed, it was just confirmed last hour on yma-sumac.com. I thought her to be a uniquely gifted performer with an undeniable talent. What a personality, what a voice. She will be missed. A fitting musical "homage", should you have it in your collection, would be the track "Montana" off of "Legend of the Sun Virgin." A beautiful light waltz with a hypnotic melody. A most appropriate "adieu" if I may say so. Rest in Peace, Miss Sumac.

T

This is so sad.

I heard Gopher Mambo in a tapas restaurant on Friday night, and told my dining companion about how we persuaded Yma to come down to Florida for Hukilau in 2005, and all about what a character - and a great talent - Yma was.
By the end of our meal, they had played the song two more times.
I guess the mix tape in the restaurant was really short.

And then the next day... :(

I am so glad that we all got to meet her in '05, and so sad that we won't be able to do so again.

M

YMA SUMAC PASSED AWAY NOVEMBER 1ST, AT 11 AM. MORE DETAILS ARE AVAILABLE ON HER SITE, http://www.YMA-SUMAC.COM (DON'T FORGET THE HYPHEN). THERE IS A NEW 'IN MEMORIAM GUEST BOOK' THAT WILL HAVE TEARS STREAMING DOWN YOUR FACE. YOU ARE WELCOME TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS THERE.

I WAS HER PERSONAL ASSISTANT AND CLOSEST FRIEND FOR MANY YEARS. EVEN SAYING 'WAS' IS VERY PAINFUL, AS THIS IS ALL VERY NEW STILL.

I WOULD VENTURE TO SAY SHE WILL BE MISSED IN THE TIKI COMMUNITY.

SEE YOU AROUND, DAMON DEVINE (LOS ANGELES, CA)

M

Sorry to hear - amazing voice, and having never met her, I am sure she was an amazing person.

Here is the CNN story if you want to read further: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/03/obit.sumac.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

[ Edited by: Maori_man 2008-11-03 09:18 ]

Yes, I just heard as well. I came on here to see if anybody else had already posted this. Thank you for doing so. My mother considered her a dear friend. I don't know how I'm going to break the news to her. :(

RIP Dear Yma, you will be missed.

Here is my favorite video of her, the shots of her praying to the stone idols are amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ker24VSMImo

Exotica music and archeology! Why don't they make videos like that anymore? But then, maybe it can't be done now anymore, she was completely unique!

O

rest in peace Yma. your music has brought me many years of joy and i will cherish my autographed lp forever. She was my introduction to exotica in my early teens, and started my passion years later for that genre of music.

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-11-04 02:20 ]

Pages: 1 2 56 replies