Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

puffer light

Pages: 1 7 replies

HH

take a look,from thailand though. I hate international bidding. shipping is $15 bucks too. But it looks sweet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=719481558

anyone know where I can get instuctions on making my own. I can get the puffer fish locally.

A

That's a great looking light! Great price too, if I'm judging the size right. I was just in Morro Bay,CA, at the Shell Store they have there, and smaller fish, no light inside, were going for $40-$60. I got a GIANT one in Mexico for $40, I felt ripped off at first because I'm a crap haggler, but now that I've compared, it was an okay price. Prob. could have gotten it cheaper, though.

I'm also in for instructions on how to make a lamp. Saw some great ones at Oceanic Arts, but the employees were all at lunch so didn't get to discuss technique.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Oct 3, 2002 7:33 AM

I've posted this too many times, I feel like I am yammering on and on. The short answer is to go to Radio Shack and tell them you want to run the smallest LED they have into your fish and to give you what you need and tell you how to do it. One small wire, either a 9 volt battery or a transformer, and you are there. You want very little light/heat. A small LED will do the trick.

$20 will get you a decent sized blowfish on Ebay and elsewhere. Once you illuminate one blowfish, you then have the ability to illuminate all sorts of things, like your floats in nets, etc.

Hey, who shaved that pufferfish? No offense to the winner of that auction but it looks naked and sickly.

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2002-10-03 19:12 ]

M

I have a few small unlighted fish that were reasonably priced, but they do seem to be getting more expensive lately. I suspect there are fewer producers of these things nowadays.

I did however just buy a big lightled one last week at oceanic arts. I'd still like to try the LED thing with one of my small fish, but the big one they had just looked so good, and when I checked the odds of doing the process myself (slim to none), I decided it was worth the cost. (That ebay price was a lot less than what I paid, but, by god, mine has spikes!) Swanky, the question remains- how do you get the LED into a Glass float? Will a small drill bit work? The staff at Oceanic Arts said they stopped trying to make lighted floats because they shattered 9 out of 10 globes they tried.

-martin

J

I may not be Jacques Cousteau but the lamp identified as a puffer fish lamp was really a parrot fish lamp. The parrot fish also inflates when alarmed but doesn't have the spiny protection that the porcupine fish has...

:drink:

T

Hey martiki6, if you put the small LED light against (touching) the float and hide the battery&LED& wiring in the fish net then the float should light up. You can get LED's that are flat on the end that would project the light into the float. PS In theory it works....reality....?

T

Hey TC. I found a Blow /Porcupine Fish in a store on the Santa Barbara pier today for only $12. It was about 8-9" long. The store lady said they usually have big ones for only $20 or so. (I didn't buy it)

Pages: 1 7 replies