Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

OktoberSvenFest

Pages: 1 40 replies

DZ

Well, now that Big Bro is back, anybody want to send him back to Germany? Uh.., I mean try to drag him off to Oktoberfest?

Alpine Village is still happening for the rest of the month, but I believe we are to leave the 19th open (right Baxdog?) and the 26th is most likely filled with Halloween parties, so that leaves this weekend (the 5th)and next weekend (the 12th). The 5th works best for me, Z Girl and the Velours (I was thinking... 8 o'clock?) - how 'bout anyone else?

I can still get free passes for everyone (or you can print 'em yourself at alpinevillage.net), but I can't offer free beers like I could for my brothers b-day...

[Moved by Hanford Lemoore to the Beyond Tiki Forum]

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-10-03 13:48 ]

Actually, I did ask him about it recently, but no response yet. I think he might be more interested in going to the Sunday daytime part instead.

Actually, the 18th/19th will work for me and/or if its a Sunday daytime gig, count me in.

Thank you for thinking of me. Wuz trying to figure out my schedule, and it looks like I can't do it this weekend:
Saturday I'll be booksigning at the West Hollywood bookfair:
http://www.weho.org/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=story&ID=735&mode=Web

Looks like quite an event. I'll be sitting at "Funky Town", by an old airstream trailer, with Charles Phoenix and the guy that just put out that great trailerpark book.

Sunday: Unveiling of House Industries' (the folks that brought the first Tiki fonts to all of us) Richard Neutra Boomerang chair at Orange Furniture on Beverly Blvd, with chairs painted by Coop, Shag, Tim Biskup, etc.

How about Sunday the 13th?

...and, just to aid Hanford with site management, shouldn't this be in "EVENTS" (or even be in "Beyond Tiki")?

To behold what I consider the German equivalent of a Tiki bar, dine at the Loewenbrau on Beverly Blvd on the edge of Korea town. An amazing amassment of klunky kitsch!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-10-02 08:11 ]

F

btt bump. Hey, what's this doing in the collecting forum?

Hey kids, I sorta re-started this thread in Beyond Tiki. Go there for more details.

DZ

Let it be known that this is NOT the first time Hanford has corrected me and put one of my posts in the proper forum after I idiotically neglected to pay attention to what I was doing... Doh! (slaps forehead)

It's like they say "Those that can, do; those that can't... teach!"

ps-- thanks again, Hanford - I won't do it again. I promise. No, really. I mean it this time...

So Sunday the 13th 2:00 pm? I wanna bring my son...

OK, I'm up for Sunday the 13th at 2:00pm. Anyone else?

Let's eat, drink, and milk cows together!

Hey vintage girl, this idea is not gathering too much enthusiasm, it seems. I think we let it rest, since I have just been to the fatherland...
But a night out at the Loewenbrau is always an option!

M

aak, no Octoberfest with Sven- now where am I going to wear my "special" outfit? I WAS planning a trip down there this weekend-at least I can hit Johnny Velours pad--bruce

Seems like we have a fine crowd for the event. Are you really calling it off?

Well, y'all were so silent , we figured no one was really interested. But actually, Atomic and I are still interested in going. It's free (with the coupon) and I still want my schnitzel, dammit!

So speak up if you wanna go!
2:00pm Sunday the 13th.
Who's in?

Vait! There are Krautheads? Vhy not then, let's go! Bruce has to have a chance to wear his shoeplattler outfit, and I do wanna see vintage girl in her dirndl. Ein Prosit der Gemuetlichkeit!

T

My first job was banquet service/busboy at Old World Village in Huntington Beach.... just the thought of Kraut enjoying kraut kinda churns my stomach....!

You guys enjoy the festivities, and down a stein for me! I'll be in Palm Springs for the big 50s music & car show this weekend!

:tiki:

T

Someone said schnitzl???

I'm there!! Sorry I took so long to chime in, but I was waiting to see if I could get at least one driving companion.

Hopefully Bruce will wear his special outfit into "Pea Soup Andersen's" on the way down...

F

Well, I'm in! The Dr. Z and Z Girl are in, Poly Pop, Sven, TikiVixen, The Velours and MR SMILEY...perhaps a guest appearance by Sabu? What more do we need :)

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-10-09 09:47 ]

That's more like it, gang! OK, now where do we meet? The only area I'm familiar with is the entrance to the beer garden. But if someone has a better idea, please post it.

Sabu The Coconut Boy - He Laufs Oktoberfest!

I will be there. I may even bring my ELECTROLYSIS sign. I think whoever gets there first should try to grab some table space. And if enough of us wear aloha shirts, we shouldn't be that hard to spot. It worked last time.

Sabu
(I'm Prosit, I'm Prosit
And Everybody Knows It!)

I hope the cats howling in my head won't be too loud after my party.

Volks! (Folks!) My son Diego has a soccer match at 12 noon on Sunday, hope that he is not too burned out to go with me, and also, I might be there more towards 2:30 (not 2:00), because of the long drive..what is the exit of the 110 again, Manchester? Meet at the beergarden at a table near the entrance?

If you are in the area and want to get more out of your October day (before or after Oct. Fest) drop by the Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo. Members of The Phantom Coaches Hearse Club will be presenting their vehicles for the afternoon showing of Frankenstein on Sunday, October 13th around 2:30 p.m. http://www.otmh.org

Wow! that looks like fun! These folks deserve the next national headlines, after the vintage trailer crowd got theirs the last week...

2:30ish, at a table near the entrance of the beer garden--we'll be there!

M

mrsmiley will be there squeezed into his "special outfit". I hope you make it Sven. It will be a scary sight not to be missed!!

Indeed it will. Trust me on this.

Just one thing: he needs a HAT, though!

By the way, "funny foreign English" is vun of my favorite tings.

DZ

2:30-ish it is then!! Being 'Family Day', the crowd is quite a bit different than Saturday nights, but it's lots o' fun nonetheless! I think it will round out my weekend rather well (and help battle the screaming fez-wearing howler monkeys I expect to be torturing me after Johnnie V's...)

Anyone going, be sure to print out your free admission coupons (alpinevillage.net) - they're so readily available that NOBODY should have to pay to get in!

Oh, and BigBro - the exit off the 110 South is at Torrance Blvd. You can see Alpine Village easily from the freeway...

"Sha na na na na na na Na,
We love Octoberfest!"

M

we love OktoberFIST!!

"The FRESHMAKER!"

Ok, against my better judgement, here are some photos from OktoberSvenFest (or "OktoberFIST" if you will). In attendance were Bigbro, Mr. Smiley, Tikivixen, Atomic Cocktail, Vintage Girl, Floratina, Doctor Z, Z-Girl, Mano Tiki Tia, and myself.

From left to right: Bigbrotiki, Mr. Smiley, Tikivixen, Vintage Girl, & Atomic Cocktail

Tiki Central in der Haus! (Note Mr. Smiley's Tiki Stein).

Performing the Seated Chicken Dance. (ok, things were a little slow on a Sunday afternoon)

One can buy these kool German tikis at The Alpine Village.

Renting a copy of "Das Love Hotel in Tirol" for later.

Atomic posing with noted German, Roy Rogers.

So after a rousing afternoon German Beer-Garden songs, what could be better than Mexican Food? Nothing, you say? Well I am of the same opinion. So it's off to nearby Lomita and Arturo's Mexican Restaurant.

Arturo's is one of the hidden gems of the South Bay. Built in 1960 and still owned by the original family, it is a showpiece of classic 1960s modernism. Floor-to-cieling glass windows, globe lamps, wood-slat walls, clean and minimalist. It has a restaurant and a bar. The bartender, Kiko, has been mixing drinks there since it opened in 1960.

Best of all, for tiki enthusiasts, there are giant stone statues everywhere.

I have wanted to take some tiki centralites to Arturo's for some time, as part of a South-Bay tiki pub crawl, but wouldn't you know it, Bigbro already new about it and made the suggestion first. Is there no place left to discover that this man hasn't found?

In the center of the restaurant is a large, glass-enclosed atrium with tropical plants and giant Mexian Moai. At night, they are illuminated with lights, as is a fountain that gets turned on after dark.

Halloween decorations were a bit unnerving in this ancient temple of Mexican Modernism.

All in all, we had a great time. Good food and good conversation - and all the usual good-natured "fist" jokes. On the other hand, (no pun intended), maybe you shouldn't have been there.

Your Roving Tiki Reporter,

Sabu

M

The FISTmaker !?!

Artwork by Mr. Smiley.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-10-17 11:12 ]

Hey, this is one thread where nobody's getting into fisticuffs about anything!

I had such a lovely, silly afternoon at "Oktoberfist." It was a great pleasure to meet some new Tiki Central characters and re-encounter VintageGirl and BigBro. I thought we all looked fabulous, too!!

Thanks so much for the pics, Sabu! And I must compliment you again on that mahvelous pink bowling shirt...hey, there weren't any pictures of you!

Hope to see you all again soon...

tikivixen

ps Floratina, I'd hang on to that artwork if I were you. It'll be worth something someday...

If it's pics of Sabu you want, here you go plus a few others:

Here's Sabu peeking over Mr. Smiley

We caught Sabu in our version of the group shot.

Meanwhile, a woman shoves a dollar bill in the shirt of the trumpet player.

Here we all are at Arturo's for dinner. (Z-Girl, Floratina, Sabu, Atomic Cocktail, BigBro, TikiVixen, Mr. Smiley, & Doctor Z)

BigBro, TikiVixen, & Mr. Smiley look at Sabu's impressive Tiki postcard collection.

Hey, who are those freaks on the side of the road? Oh, it's just Mr. Smiley in lederhosen and Vintagegirl in a dirndl hanging out at a Mexican restaurant.

And now we go further back in time to Oktoberfest #1. (OK, so I'm getting these in a bit late.):

Here are Floratina, Sabu & the Velours shunkeling.

And there goes Sabu! (Notice the 2 people in the background pointing at the drunken revelry.)

My friend Cat and I enjoy a visit with a Japanese man who was very fond of the Polka.

Johnnie and Lady Velour

Doctor Z & Z-Girl

And for all those that missed the brautwurst......mmm...YUM!

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2002-10-21 22:12 ]

This one wins a prize for best illustrated non-Tiki thread!
We gotta go to the Lowenbrau Keller, kids!
The address is 3211 Beverly Blvd.

Mano tiki Tia
nice haiku, a-hole
I see you are in with all of these other losers, dumb-ass nerds

M

Hanford, I think Parrothead has inhaled too many asphalt fumes from JB tailgate parties and needs to be cut off-most likely permanently.
Too much non-constructive hate!

I think this guy should be booted too. Whoever it is has been nothin' but mean.

Bump.

Oktoberfest is coming soon. Can we have as much fun as in years past? I'm counting on it.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2005-09-04 23:33 ]

DZ

OktoberFIST 2005 is ON!!

Check it out in "Events"

Pages: 1 40 replies