Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies

S

Before Hukilau 2004 I was wondering if I wanted to continue with all the work that is that huge event. I felt sure I didn't, but wanted to wait until after the event to decide. With hurricane Jeanne and thousands of lost dollars and more stress than I ever felt before, it made it fairly easy to decide. So I have decided I am not going to work as an orgainzer for Hukilau 2005.

Part fo my decision was that I wanted to put that effort towards something more lasting, and local. Yesterday I had a meeting with investors and got a go ahead on my new project for 2005, a new tiki bar here in Knoxville, TN.

Plans are all on the table and everything will be brought into shape over the coming months, but the current working name is "The Islands" and it will be a bar, no food, or perhaps simple appetizers. It will also be a tiki bar museum of sorts. Booths will be named after places like Kahiki, Mai Kai, Don the Beachcomber, Kon Tiki, etc. and will feature items form those place in the booth, along with histories. The menu will feature drinks by creator or locale, like the Mai Kai section with their Rum Barrel, Derby Daiquiri, and Shark Bite.

The process is just begining and is exciting. This is the fun part: finding decor. If you know of or are in possesion of larger pieces (from lamps to huge tikis, etc.) from vinatge tiki bars, please drop me a line. We can perhaps buy them or take them in loan, with you retaining ownership.

A lot of you guys will be called on for your art and expertise by me. I am looking forward to making a tiki shrine that you all will be very proud of. And I will keep you all posted every step of the way.

And, I'll see you at Hukilau and get to enjoy it as a guest, while promoting my new drinking establishment!

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: swanky on 2005-02-13 10:35 ]

Hukilau in Knoxville!

Vern

let me know if you need any help. jimmy (exotica arts).

This is INCREDIBLE news! Congratulations Swanky, and the very best of luck to you in what is sure to be a very challenging, but hopefully equally rewarding, venture.

I've got a whole mess of coworkers in Knoxville, and I've been converting them to tiki, or at least properly constructed tropical cocktails, one by one for many months now. Not enough of them yet to guarantee a packed house for you, but there'll be some definite and pre-educated interest there.

Keep me posted on your progress, I'd love to combine some daytime work trips with nighttime work parties to help you get ready to open!

P

You're going to need a drink tester.
I think I know just the guy.

Good luck with it Swanky!
Sounds like a dream come true.

Great news Swanky! Sounds like it's going to be just as fun putting together as it will be once it's open!

B

congrats to you Swanky. This sounds like a Shot in the Arm for Knoxville Tikiphiles. I'm sure you will create the Ultimate Tiki Palace. Can't wait.
HukoLau will Sorely miss you.

On 2004-12-10 12:22, pablus wrote:

You're going to need a drink tester.
I think I know just the guy.

BK? :wink:

Good luck on this very challenging but probably very rewarding endevor.
It's allways nice to hear about a new Tiki establishment being opened by people who actually know and care about doing it right.

Ran

Tim, that is so great, congratulations! Yes, to know that "one of us" is getting to build HIS Tiki Bar from the ground up makes me laugh-out-loud happy!

A loss to the Hukilau though, somebody better step up to the plate! Kiliki can't do it all by herself!

D

Swanky,how exciting! Good for you for spreading the tiki love-we can't wait to see the pictures-wishing you the most wonderful luck in your new venture.

M

Best of luck to you!!!

Slowly but surely covering the east coast. Good luck Swank.

K

Congratulations Swanky.

I am insanely jealous. I've thought about making that leap for a number of years now. Please keep those of us who still lack the cahones (or the psychosis) to venture out there on that edge up to date. I'd be most interested in every detail. Minutia. Please.

It just might inspire me to give in and open up Kuku Ahu the bar.

Ahu

S

I am a bit of a perfectionist and I make lots of notes and bulleted lists, etc. Basically, I'll have documents that anyone could use to do the same sort of thing. I might be willing to share. I am working through the business plan and getting the financials all together and making a list of every single thing that must be done and putting it on a sort of timeline. Lots of details that I doubt most of you guys are interested in. But for those that might be, I could maybe share more of that gritty detail. Or maybe I'll just franchise and give all those details for a fee...

I have no real idea how much it's going to take to get it done on my part, but surely it can't be more than it took to get Hukilau done last year. Well, yeah, it could be!

Of course the fun part is acquiring the decor and designing and building it all.

It will not be a very big place. It's hard to support a large space as a bar, unless it's a dance club or something along those lines. So, hosting big TC type parties there won't really be possible. But I do plan to have regular special events that will be of interest to the ohana.

This also means that the Hapa Haole Hideaway will not be rebuilt. My personal collection will become part of the bar. Why have a tiki bar at home when you an owner of one in town?

This is all just a plot to see more of HumuHumu without having to travel myself. :wink:

On 2004-12-10 21:26, Swanky wrote:

This is all just a plot to see more of HumuHumu without having to travel myself. :wink:

Sounds like a worthy endeavor :wink: ! Seriously, I can't wait to see how this turns out! This is close enough to home for me to concieveably plan a vacation around. Great site, Tennessee has alot to offer. Plus it would be great if I could contribute something to the cause -- I would love to take part in some drink menu illustrations (in the simple line-art style of Kahiki or Trader Vic's perhaps?)!
-FB

Why have a tiki bar at home when you an owner of one in town?

Because two Tiki bars are better than one.

Congrats Swanky.
We're all behind you on this one!

Speed metal??

On 2004-12-10 12:07, chisel slinger wrote:
let me know if you need any help. jimmy (exotica arts).

Give me a jingle too... I think some midwest tiki flair would be a good touch... and something different... That Jimmy... he's a talented fellow... my stuff's not bad either... :wink:

J
JTD posted on Sat, Dec 11, 2004 6:01 AM

Swanky,
As long as the playlist doesn't include Rocky Top, I'll be there.

JTD

Great news! I might have to make another road trip.

congrats on the bar!! I worked for a co. here in chicago that designs and builds bars/niteclubs so I know what a hassle it can be from start to finish. lots of b.s. along the way but don't let it bother you. I designed the rock-a-tiki in chicago a couple years back, so if you need some decor, there may be a few things left from when it closed that I can set you up with, lamps from o.a. etc. I also design tiki lighting and decor so I can help on that front too. lastly, i recently started producing my goods in china directly, so if you need a source for souveniers for your bar, let me know. anything from necklaces to figurines, etc. from original sculpt/concept to boxed, bagged and delivered product. I don't do mugs at this time...let tikifarm or munktiki help you out on that. I did produce the kahiki tiki necklaces and magnets back in the day that they sold in their gift shop. I made those here in the states....anyway, be glad to help out if you require my services.

S

JTD - The tiki bar is where you escape Rocky Top and Big Orange! And in real sacrilege, we won't even have a TV in the place showing the game!

Tipsy - It sounds like I could use a lot of your help. A gift shop of some sort is definitely part of the plan.

Freak - Sounds good. We will try to use images from vintage menus when possible, and when not, get something in the style.

Congrats, Swanky!

If you do change your mind and decide to serve food. I would love to help you work on the menu. I think you should at least offer some Poly themed Hors d'vours, to soak up the alcohol and keep
'em thirsty.

The tiki bar is where you escape Rocky Top and Big Orange! And in real sacrilege, we won't even have a TV in the place showing the game!

Perhaps you can have the game playing quietly on a staticy vintage radio in the back corner. Or better yet, relocate your tiki bar on L.I. I don't have the nuts to open one yet.

Tipsy - It sounds like I could use a lot of your help. A gift shop of some sort is definitely part of the plan.

I am in the process of giving my website a complete makeover. but for now you can still see some of my products (there will be more on the new site) it's http://www.dskdesigns.com - or email me when your're ready at [email protected].

-thanks!!

cant wait, hopefully your grand opening will be on a weekend, id drive down in a heart beat for that......congrats swanky.....

8T

Great to hear your concept and I trust that it will be a classic. If the photos I've seen here on TC of the Hukilau are any indication, you will do it proud for sure.
Now I just went to askjeeves.com and found out that it is 620 miles from KC to Knoxville. So I figure I can make it in 4 hours. (if I drive 155 mph !) Will monitor your progress and hope to share in your opening celebrations.

Hot Diggity Dog, Swanky! Great news! Can't wait to come over the mountains and check it out.

Swanky, in putting your heart and intent forward to make your dream come true, you are an inspiration to others also are collecting the momentum to actualize their own. Reaching your goal will be very gratifying, no doubt. I hope the path there will be fulfilling as well.

Congratulations, Swanky!

No TV...wow. You are SO cool.

impressed as all get-out,

tikivixen

Can't wait to come back to Knoxville now! Best of luck to you Swanky - Hukilau will miss you and so will I. I wish you only the best in this endeavor - only you could make this happen in that city.

S

After consulting with some non-Tiki people to get feedback on the name, "The Islands" is out. I printed out a list of potential names and passed them around at a party of about 30 the other night and two names emerged as clear favorites:

#1 "The Headhunter Lounge"
#2 "Port o' Call"

Headhunter is also my favorite because it conjures some good images and will be easy to create a theme around. A headhunter mug for example. There is already a favorite drink called the Headhunter. An artist will be able to play off that easily for a logo.

I was a bit happily surprised that the classic "Port o' Call" was also a favorite. Does my heart good.

Aloha, Swanky!

Great news here! Can't wait to get out to Knoxville and tipple some delicious tropical cocktails at The Headhunter aka Port o' Call aka Swanky's Joint!

-Weird Unc

Best of luck to you Swanky. Aside from all of the other cool details you mentioned, everyone has to KNOW the music will be right! We'll try to visit when you open up.
KG

Headhunter is also my favorite because it conjures some good images and will be easy to create a theme around. A headhunter mug for example. There is already a favorite drink called the Headhunter. An artist will be able to play off that easily for a logo.

I was a bit happily surprised that the classic "Port o' Call" was also a favorite. Does my heart good.

check out my shrunken head swag lamps on my site. imagine a bunch of those hanging round the headhunter lounge!! (www.dskdesigns.com)

also, the name i submitted to the "name that tiki bar" contest was the "KONA CABANA" -feel free to use that onwe if you like.....

S

Tipsy,
I priced shrunken heads for hanging from rear view mirrors just yesterday as a souvenir or prize. Those look great, but I want a picture of them on in the dark. A better idea of how they look as a lamp. Got any?

KK

Very good news, indeed.
Will it be open by Christmas?!? We're coming up to visit family, and that would sure be fun! :lol:
Seriously, I would love to help/take charge of art director duties (menu, logo, etc.) if you need help with that. Good luck on the launching pad!

S

KK,
Sounds great. One less thing on my plate, and I know you fully understand the aesthetic I am going for.

Sorry I can't invite you to my home bar even over Christmas, but maybe next year we'll have a Polynesian Rum Egg Nog together in the Headhunter Lounge!

M

Congrats Swanky on the 40000th post in the Main Discussion Area!

The concept of the tiki bar museum is spectacular! Congratulations and I wish you all the best! Let us know when it opens, because I will hop on a plane at the Ft Lauderdale airport and be one of the first ones there.

good luck to you!

Lenore

S

I'm a bit bummed. I contacted the City liquor board today and found out the requirements for a license. It squashes my ideas. It may well end the entire enterprise. Requirements:

Table seating for at least 75
You must serve at least one meal a day, five days a week.
You must have the kitchen to prepare said meals.

I was planning on not serving food so that it cuts down on cost and headaches. It also makes start-up a lot cheaper and just plain 1000 times easier. Food means a menu, staff, yadda yadda yadda. A million headaches.

So, I wil either have to see if the county is any easier to comply with and look for a location outside the city, which makes life harder, or, get with a lawyer and see if there is a way around the legal definition of "meal" and this whole seating thing and if trying such a thing would work, OR, change the entire business plan to be a restaurant and bar...

Life just got tougher, and the plans for a tiki bar in Knoxville, dimmer.

Definately consult a lawyer before making any decisions. Something doesn't smell quite right in Knoxville.

K

Well, I suppose you might find a partner that wants to run a restaurant that would fit with your theme. If you had connected spaces under the same roof and business, the restaurant could provide the seating and food to meet the liquor license requirement allowing you to just run the adjacent bar.

Damn, if I was livin' in Knoxville I'd talk to ya myself. New pacific rim cuisine with a tropical touch would be a fun enterprise with a tiki bar next door!

Or you could offer breakfast from 6-9 am. Depending upon your location, you may never see one customer.

Seating for 75? That's 12+ six tops. WTF is going on in Knoxville? Do all bars have 20 four seat tables in 'em? That'd just be weird.

Hang in there.

S

I think a lawyer is going to be visited tomorrow. I know of one bar in town (my favorite) that does not have a kitchen of seating for 75. They offer a menu from a place down the block. Something is up. But it'll get worked out. Moving out of the city is not an option. The rules still basically apply.

So now maybe it's "The Luau" and "The Headhunter Lounge" inside...

S

Just a little update. Things a re a bit slow since I found I need to have a restaurant to have a bar. I started out thinking of just doing the minimum to pass the legal definition of "serving" food and really just be a bar, but, I think that's financially bad. The space required would be hard to support that way.

So I have been looking for a good partner on that side. I have met a guy locally who was a regional manager for Applebee's and others who are willing to help.

I am not sure if I have the investors I had before it was a restaurant. I'll know more when the business plan is complete and the final numbers are on paper.

I am working on a new change to the basic tiki museum plan that will incorporate booths themed after other things besides places like Mai Kai and Kahiki. It started with the realization that I had a lot of Hukilau stuff already that would make a good booth. More on that later.

I am working on the logo. I will need the artwork early on to make any presentations to investors look better. I have begun creating the website and a sample drink menu. The website isn't done enough to share yet, but I got a chunk done this week.

I found a source for large puffer fish and am putting in an order for a dozen or so. Shipping is harsh. Like shipping beach balls. No weight, but huge. So I worked out a deal at my job to have them put on a pallet and trucked in at about half or 1/3 what it would be through UPS. I intend to make them all into lamps and sell a few through Ebay (with notice here) to recoup some of the costs.

I am working on a signature mug with Saint Thomas. He's been busy and we are supposed to get together maybe next week. I already was working on the design before the bar, and so we will simply put a logo on the mug for the bar. I will sell the mug before the bar without the logo as planned. But you can only get the Headhunter Lounge version at the bar. I am also going to have him make a batch of his Volcano mugs for one, and work on larger versions for 2 and 4, as well as other designs.

After sitting around discussing what makes for a perfect bar design with a fellow drinking buddy one night, we agreed on everything and flet that a curved or "L" shaped bar was best. You want to be able to see others at the bar, but not face them as in a square or rectangle. With that in mind, I have decided to make the bar shaped like the prow of a ship. A curved, angled thing. A nice maiden head on the prow maybe, mast, port and starboard lights, etc.

I talked to Wayne Coombs at the Hawaiian Inn about helping with the sign, and he said "oh, we're going to do more than that for you!" He has done a lot of large 3D stuff in the area. Dinosaurs, 12 foot sharks, etc. I know he can handle my homage to the Aku Aku sign. We'll see what else he comes up with.

It's really tough when I talk to friends and family and they say things like "you have to do this in the theater over there. Those high ceilings, just think!" And of course I have thought. That would freakin rule! I could do a whole Kahiki village scene in there! But could I pay the rent? No. I doubt it. But then again, they made it there before with just a few regualr latin dance nights, and no regular night crowd. And I could do valet parking under the awning out front like Mai Kai... STOP! These people are killing me! 3,000 square feet, not 10,000...

I may have the site ready to look at soon.

I am going to go ahead and ask for submissions. If you have tiki postcards scanned already at 300dpi or so, I would love for you to send them to me so I can print them out for use in the bar. I have the Mai Kai pretty well covered, but everywhere else, I have little. Postcards are the one thing I can "fake" by printing on heavy stock matte paper. Send them to [email protected] for more mana in your life! I also need images of drinks form vintage menus. I have Kahiki and Trader Vics. Color please and named so I know what they are. Anything you can do is great. 300dpi.

More as I think it's worht saying.

Mahalo.

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies