Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies

chisel swinger, damn, why didnt I think of that!

J

Oops, sorry Slinger!

Youch! When the Drum and Bass or "Classic Oldies" start I'll gladly donate another, similar mug to the bars collection!

S

I had a meeting today with the President of Ruby Tuesday on other business. This is a guy that could not just finance the opening of the place, but start a chain of them if he wanted to. His statement on my idea about opening a bar/restaurant: "Sorry to hear that. I thought you were smarter than that." And he's right. What goes into a successful restaurant is a lot. And that's what we are talking about here. Though I want to open a bar, I must open a restaurant.

So, now I am squarely back in the old corner. I am either going to find the way to skirt the law and get the place open without actually opening a restaurant, or just give up. The whole restauarant aspect just fills my guts so full of knots, I just don't think I can do it. Certainly not myslf, and I would need to know a partner really well to trust them.

I am back to looking up a local business owner who has one of my favorite bars in Knoxville and no restaurant about doing the same thing with the Headhunter. He liked the idea, so maybe we can go in on this together. But the one thing you can't get around is the required table seating for 75. That means you have to have a certain amount of space, and I wonder what kind of income that would require to support. I can work on my business plan like that and see if the numbers add up. How many Mai Tais do I have to sell a night to pay the lease, utilities and payroll...

Why can't I be in a state like Georgia where you can get a liquor license without serving food? RRRrrrrrrr!

P
pablus posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2005 2:10 PM

Is moving to a more reasonable state out of the question?

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2005 3:25 PM

Pablus: I would break up the space []ia lot[/i] fo sho. Seating for 75 would not be bad. Very intimate booths and a nice bar area. And I have looked into making it a club, museum, artistic venue, gallery, etc. There are nice big hurdles to all those ideas that mostly are like "you must have been established for at least 10 years to apply.." No sweet tricky way around it. The law says:

Must have table seating for 75
Must serve one meal a day at least 5 days a week
Must have kitchen and staff to prepare said meal
Must have food as main portion of income or some such vague statement

That said, there are planty of dance clubs in town where no one ever goes to eat and they sell tons of liquor. So there are ways around some of it. What I am told is you do things like charge a cover and mark that up as food cost and then just give away food from time to time. And other tricks. The seating is mandatory. They come in and count, very conservatively.

Raff: Nope, I am staying here until my daughter (13) goes to college somewhere else...

I am just being bummed about it right now. I need to find some help to get the thing going again in my mind. Maybe I find a really cheap location in a more out of the way, but upcoming part of town and do the most basic food imaginable, but have the most kick ass bar possible. And lots of live music... Dunno.

Everybody come over Friday night and let's brainstorm. Bring any memebers of the Liquor board you know to help...

Swanky,
I used to go to this dance club that had a buffet style dinner on Fridays.
You paid at the door, had your food(drinks extra), then the place turned up the music and down the lights around 9pm.
You could do a luau style meal and give out coupons to bring people in(that's why we went).
Just a thought!

*missed the 'five days a week' thing, guess that wouldn't work then.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2005-04-06 15:43 ]

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2005 6:31 AM

HERE is the template for the new site. We hope to have the content together, including a mailing list sign up, this weekend so we can start showing the website to the public.

S

I hope to have the new site up this weekend. I am in serious geek mode. I have a site I am doing for a friend, I am getting the Hukilau reservations/payment system ready for the debut on the 22nd, and I am getting the Headhunter site ready to go live... Lots of time not spent out enjoying the freaking awesome spring weather! Anyway...

I was able to chat with the bar/restaurant owner I wanted to about my current stagnation. He was very jazzed about helping and excited (again) about the project. I am working on booking Wholly Kats/Haole Kats at his club on the way up to Exotica, and he said 'yes' just on my reputation. I am hoping he'll get very involved in the bar. There is some sort of opening party on Friday and he asked me for a sample CD of my DJ music and talked about my DJing the event. That's a great plus. Gets me some extra time to get to know him and impress him with my rekkid collection and taste in music. Hopefully, it'll lead to a sit down over Mai Tais to talk in depth.

His attitude about my plans alone gave me a lot of needed energy and hope. When a guy who owns my favorite bar in town, and owns 2 other bars and just opened a restaurant and another bar and has many other bars behind him says the idea is great and will work and I need to get it done... you beleive...

And I found a source for cheap mugs and 18" straws... Who knew they made so many of the old mug styles to this day? They may not be Tiki Farm quality, but they will work. As money comes in, we'll replace old standard mugs and bowls with new designs made just for us.

S

The newest artwork from Hoffa arrived featuring the New Guinea piece. Here is a black and white logo with new lettering. I am rushed to get ready for TTN so, no time to get the paintings ready for you. Next week...

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 8:47 AM

Now that looks great!

I like this one too. It's very unique, and has a lot of character.

B

Swank, I think this one is Very much better than the last. This is one that peeps will remember and be interested in. Looks great. Now if we can just get the HeadHunter OPen, Open, Open,open

This one's awesome! It's also great 'cause you can display this dude in the lounge. That will help assure that people who visit will never forget yr place.

swanky, i behind you 100% with that logo.

Bravo on that logo... Run with it!

S
Swanky posted on Sun, May 1, 2005 3:28 PM

Here are the painted versions. The second one is to be photoshopped into the other driftwood sign.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, May 3, 2005 6:17 AM

On the way back from TTN I had a long talk with Primo Kimo about what worked and didn't work at Kahiki Moon. He gave me some really great advice that will get me much further down the road to tiki bar opening. It's simply invaluable to have real world experience to draw from. The main things I got from him that will make things easier:

He got 180 seats in about 3,000 square feet! I still want to see a layout, but that's phenomenal. That means I could get 75 in a much smaller space than I imagined.

He suggested a menu that I have pretty much been considering and have worked at. It all makes sense for having a small kitchen footprint and a smaller staff.

He gave me an idea of his opening costs that goes with what was spent to open Hale Tiki and gives me an even better ballpark on what it will cost to get off the ground.

Thanks James. I hope I can get a place open that looks as good as those pictures of the Kahiki Moon.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, May 5, 2005 2:47 PM

S

Everything just suddenly came together. In a hurry to get open and get revenue, we didn't get a lot done outside. We're waiting for Mai Tiki to finish the large flaming tiki sign. Lots of landscaping, etc. Gonna cover the exterior in matting. But, when the right building came along, we went full speed ahead!

Well, actually this is church down the strret from me... I wish...

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:16 ]

Fantastic logo, sign, and building. Keep it up Swanky. You can rest when your dead.

Right ON!!!

B

Swanky, Why don't you approach the church and explain that we'd like to worship our own way (maybe a bit differently than they are used to) on Friday and Saturday night and we'll take down the decor in time for services on Sunday! You could make stuff just like in your doctored photo with quick release fasteners for easy set-up and take-down.

Congrats on finding a space.

-Duke

P.S. If it's not obvious, I'm kidding about using the church as a Tiki bar. No disrespect intended.

S

That church is on a street I refer to as the architect's street. Every house seems to be a different style. Then I see this church and I thought, That's it! But, it is a chuch and it's way in a residencial area and would never work, maybe. Very cool and and easy remodel to be a freakin awesome tiki bar though!

Ladies and gentlemen ... start your engines! And they're off!

how have I missed this?!?!?!

Swank - this is AWESOME!!!!! and it's really coming along, I can't wait to see what more you have instore!

A tiki bar is a church of sorts, so I don't think it's too far off the mark...

B

Swanky...I had to comment because I just read this entire thread in one sitting. A momuntal endeavor especially considering what time it is. I wanted to know.

You have undertaken quite a task, my friend. I just want to encourage you and say keep up the postive energy. I know it's tough, but I wanted to offer more moral support.

Rah Rah Rah and all of that. Go Swanky.

Hi Swanky! This has been one of my favorite threads! So happy to see things starting to come together for you. I can relate to the roller coaster ride that starting your own business puts you on! Just remember for all the blood & sweat, it's so worth it, especially when you see people enjoying what you've created!! Power to you baby!!

If I'm ever in your part of the world, The Headhunter will be a definite stop for some grog and a bite!

S

I have the site rather finished. I have the mailing list sign up complete and that was the main thing I was waiting on to make it official.

With some landscaping, that'll turn into a swank pad there, Swanky. I have friends in knoxville... I think a visit will be in order!

B

Swanky, the site Really looks great as well as the rendering of the lace. Beautiful..

S

It's been a while since I added to this thread, so, let me update.

At the beginning of the year, I was working a job that made it all very easy. I was ready to work for myself and make this tiki bar happen. In the last few months, I moved into a different position which has the potential to make me a relatively rich man as the top guy in a big company on it's way to being a huge corporation. However, that's all on fiath and a man's word. A man I trust, but still, at this point I am slaving away for not enough money.

The word we had was that things would change for me this summer. There is now a week of unofficial summer and nothing has happened. I am more tired of my job than ever and have turned my attention back to the bar.

One thing I have learned in these preparations is that you must be there on the job all the time. A full time job at the least. It's a big commitment.

It's a decision not made lightly. If the bar is to be my only source of income, and I have a partner who is to be repaid, etc, I have to plan a certain way and I have to make this work very well.

So, in the coming couple of weeks, my boss will either come through with his promises and I will see myself staying in this company a good bit longer, or he won't and I will finish my business plan and start shopping for an investor and a location.

I've gotten great support from all over. Ms Swanky's uncle just moved to town and he is an architect who says he'll help design what is needed gratis. I talked to Hoffa last weekend and he is ready to help out with more artwork for the menu, etc. A few of you have said you are ready to buy Mai Tais...

So, it's in limbo for now and I am moving back towards doing this thing, but it hangs in the balance.

B

Nice to hear from you again Swank. I hope everything turns out Great for you, I know you have worked your butt off. Good luck and thanks for keeping us posted.

S

If it happens, I've got carved Tikis I'll give you, gratis. Well, you may have to throw in a couple of drinks...

S

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-09-02 16:45 ]

S

I hit about 10 antique stores Friday on the way to the Omni Hut to tape the Turner South show and I came across a piece that has to go in the Headhunter Lounge!

I have seen a few smaller versions, but the top of this one reaches 6 feet! They also have the sword, but too many people mess with it so it's hidden.

Oooh, man boobs...

F
foamy posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 8:54 AM

Never thought I'd ever have a reason to go to Knoxville. Got one now! Nice job on the web-site!

C

Learn to breath and count to 20, repeatedly. I'm holding on and hoping this will work out for you!

B

That is a great find Swank, Perfect for a Headhunter anything! Luck is with you to put that piece in your pathway. Nice.

Eew. Needs another loin cloth for his chest. All those heads go right to his boobs.

M

On 2005-09-12 08:54, foamy wrote:
Never thought I'd ever have a reason to go to Knoxville. Got one now! Nice job on the web-site!

I hope the reason isn't the man boobs!

:wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 136 replies