Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Stolen Tiki Alert (Judy @ Bamboo2U Stolen Tiki Pix added 4-19-05)

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

many years ago, hala kahiki had a large tiki statue in the front facing river road. it was attached to a gas line which fed a live flame on top of it's head....during the night, theives stole it by tying a chain around it from a pick-up truck and dragging it out of the ground and down the road, leaving the now severed gas line shooting fumes all over.....neigbors woke the owners from the smell of intense gas fumes....they were lucky the whole bar didn't blow-up!! shows to go ya' what a jerky act can possibly lead up too.....alas, the tiki was never found nor was it replaced due to fear of a repeat incident....people suck...

Judy emailed these photos of the tikis that were stolen from the front of her shop.

If anyone runs across any of this stolen tiki booty, please contact Judy Swain, owner of Bamboo2U and Tikis Too in Leucadia or email her at [email protected] .

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-04-19 14:45 ]

I wonder if there is a band of Tiki thieves in San Diego.

The Tiki in front of Trader Mort's was stolen last year, but they got it back.

tikipedia

Thanks for posting these pics AA. My brother-in-law deals in vintage furniture and what-not. He hits all the swap meets, estate sales and flea markets in the area on a regular basis. I'll pass these along to him and tell him to keep his eyes peeled for anyone trying to unload them. I bought my first Tiki from Judy. I hate to see bad things happen to good people.

I've read through this whole thread- pretty outragious! I only own 1 tiki I bought at an OC swap meet a couple years ago; makes me wonder if my tiki wasn't stolen goods! How would anyone know? I have always been paranoid that if I placed the tiki outside it would disappear so the tiki has remained in the livingroom where only me and Mike can enjoy it. Kind of sad that you can't even display something you love so much with the rest of the world. I've even thought of cementing it, but after reading this thread, it will remain inside. Does anyone recognize the tiki artists of the tiki's that were stolen from Judy? Some of them look like Bosko's work.

I hope Judy gets here Tikis back. I visit Bamboo2u and talk with her whenever I am down in Encinitas. She has a great shop and a real positive attitude. That really sucks butt!

Chongolio

H

Judy Swain and Bamboo 2 U and Tikis Too back in the local news. Fortunately nothing bad this time!

http://www.cbs8.com/story/22758044/bamboo-2-u-totally-uniquely-tiki

A must stop at place if driving from LA/OC area to San Diego

Pages: 1 2 55 replies